Buffer Car 10405

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
Sitting in Chicago Union Station on a Metra train waiting to depart, and some Amtrak pulls in with this car right behind the engines and in front of some Horizen cars.

OTOL lists it as a buffer car. Anyone know what that is and why it would be used on that train? Also what is inside it?

To quote from elsewhere....

Buffer cars are generally used between low and bi-level equipment when the diaphragm striker plates do not align with each other and neither car has a rubber tube diaphragm. They are used as-needed for deadheading equipment around the Amtrak system.

You'll usually see this car on the Hoosier State and Cardinal hauling cars to and from Beach Grove. As far as I know, there's nothing inside the car.

I'd say its also a safe assumption that this is used when they need braking power on consists where a portion of the cars have their brakes cut out.

You'll usually see this car on the Hoosier State and Cardinal hauling cars to and from Beach Grove. As far as I know, there's nothing inside the car.
Actually I thought it was full of wax to buff & polish the Amtrak cars. :lol: :lol:
Does Amtrak know how to Wax, Buff, and Polish their cars and locomotives?? :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back