Burning some points. Silver Meteor NYP-MIA and Return.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been far to long since I have been aboard a long distance Amtrak train. I was sitting on about 100,000 AGR points waiting for the right time to work on riding the few Amtrak long distance services that I haven’t ridden yet. With the impending devaluation I knew that it was time to get moving on my goals. I was hoping to ride both the Silver Star and the Silver Meteor, but since they removed the dining car off the Star it seemed like the best use of points was to simply leave the Star off the redemption. On September 9th I got serious about getting started on burning all of these miles, and found a good friend who was interested enough in traveling by train to join me.

We finalized a plan that was a lot more pedestrian than either one of us was hoping for, but we both understood we only had a finite amount of time we could take off. So the Maine to Miami plan became a simpler New York to Miami run on the Silver Meteor both ways. For my friend this would be his first ever trip aboard any type of Amtrak train. For me it would be my first long distance trip in a couple of years.

This year I have traveled more than any other year of my life by a wide margin. I have flown around 110,000 miles and been in about a dozen countries. I have about 45,000 more miles to fly, and plans to visit 6-8 additional countries. Amtrak was where it all really started for me though, so I was looking forward to finding myself aboard a sleeper car. Where I first began realizing the pleasures of letting the travel be as much of a part of the trip as the destination.

So with that my friend and I met up around 11AM at my house for the drive to Metropark where we would leave my car for a few days, and catch a New Jersey Transit train into New York Penn Station. We took a local train that took about 50 minutes, and got us into Penn Station around 1:30. With two hours to kill we left our bags in the Club Acela and headed to New York Pizza Suprema across the street from Penn Station. Definitely my favorite slice in the city, and I would recommend checking it out if you have a layover at Penn Station.

At around 2:45 they started boarding in the lounge and an usher led us to track 10 where we were quickly welcomed aboard by our attendant James. That days Lake Shore Limited was across the platform from us on track 9. Our car departing New York only had 2 other rooms occupied, so James came along pretty quickly and explained to my friend the features of our roomette as well as the different cars onboard. We left right on time and picked up one more passenger for our car in Newark. My friend was very eager to walk through the rest of the train, and get a better idea of just what he had signed up for. Unfortunately, the LSA didn’t make it back to our to take dinner reservations until around 4:30. We secured a 6 o’clock dinner reservation, and then we walked the length of the train. Oddly enough there was another café car at the very rear of the train.

We headed to dinner and were seated with quite possibly the worst tablemate I’ve ever experienced aboard Amtrak. I felt bad since I had told my friend one of the more interesting parts of taking the train was sitting with our people and sharing stories. Despite our dining companion dinner was very good. I have read all of the threads about the various cuts to the sleeper amenities and changes in the dining car. It made me a little apprehensive about what we would actually be served, but everything was as good as I remembered. I actually found the new salad that was now a paid side, but still included with the sleeper ticket to be a step up in size and quality from the old one. All in all my friend and I both enjoyed the food, and with the right company it would have been an excellent introduction to dining on Amtrak. I guess for me it was just a matter of having spent to much time on AU reading about the death by a thousand cuts when I found the onboard experience to be very similar from what I remember in the 2010-2012 timeframe. I know that was also during the beginning of the SDS days, but I don’t want to stray into all that here.

After dinner we arrived in Washington where I walked around the platform, and watched the locomotive switch. I spent some time talking to our attendant, and he said the reason for the lounge car on the end was simply a mistake made in the yard. It should have been a coach and the folks at Sunnyside swore up and down it was a coach, quite an inspiring testament to Amtrak’s yard crews and their ability to identify equipment. I also told James that we’d like to have the room switched over after the stop in Richmond. Once we departed DC we took advantage of the ice at the end of the car and mixed up a couple of drinks. I was glad to hear that my friend was enjoying the trip more than he thought he would.

The time passed pretty quickly and we found ourselves stepping out in Richmond before we knew it. As promised a couple minutes after we left James arrived, and changed the room over for the night. I had forgotten how much better a top bunk on a Viewliner was compared to a Superliner, and once I settled in up there I had no regrets in giving away the bottom bunk. I had no trouble falling a sleep, and slept soundly until just a couple of minutes before our on time arrival in Savannah. I was glad to see that we hadn’t lost any time overnight, and dozed off again until around 7:30 when my friend woke me up.

We headed to a pretty empty dining car, and were told we would have a table to ourselves. I was glad to see that the railroad French Toast was on the menu. Again it seemed to be as tasty as I remember it being from a couple years ago. The dining car staffs were very good and made sure we were looked after. After breakfast we went back to the room, and my friend did start to get a little stir crazy, but the almost 30 minutes we spent in Jacksonville really improved his mood. He started to watch a couple of movies, and I began to write this report. We took a 1:30 lunch reservation, and I decided to take a shower. I always enjoy the balancing act of trying to shower as you bounce around the tracks.

After arriving in Orlando early we had a nice stretch and was able to chat more with our attendant who had been working for Amtrak for over 25 years. He had some pretty funny stories to share about all kinds of strange passengers he has encountered. We waited about 10 minutes after our departure from Orlando to try, and see if the dining car would seat us a little early. That turned out to be of little concern as there were only two other tables occupied. Once again we were given our own table for lunch. We both had the Angus Burger and some ice cream to round it out. Since there a couple tables after us we felt comfortable just kind of lingering around after our meal to enjoy a change in scenery.

When we got back from lunch James told us to feel free to spread out a little bit, and allowed my friend to occupy the roomette across the hall for the rest of the trip. It became apparent that aside from the staff that was staying in our car we were the only passengers left. I took advantage of the extra space, and slid the seats down and took a pretty solid nap for a couple of hours. The rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful and we continued to be on time. Until we reached Deerfield Beach where we got held for about 20 minutes due to a suspicious package on the tracks near Fort Lauderdale. I wasn’t to upset about it though since I was actually surprised that we had made it that far without any kind of delays. From there we just spent the remaining time packing up our stuff. There was one final delay right outside the station as we waited for the Silver Star to be taken off the only remaining track at the Miami station while they complete some station upgrades.

From there we summoned an Uber to take us the 25 minutes or so to the Intercontinental Doral Springs where we would be staying for the night. The hotel is very nice, but the weather is simply not cooperating as its been raining pretty much the whole time we’ve been in Miami. Had dinner at a coal fired pizza place, which was pretty good considering where we are. As I write this its hard to believe that in a few short hours we’ll be heading back to the train station to do the same thing in reverse.

Thanks for reading the first part of what will probably be quite a few posts as I work through burning all of my AGR points. I will post another installment once we complete the Northbound trip. I hope you enjoyed reading my report. It felt good to get back on a long distance train after so much time. Pictures will follow once I get back home, and have time to organize and edit them. As well as fix any grammatical errors inside this report :eek:

Nice report on your southbound trip...glad the food was good despite your first meal companion. That can definitely be a toss-up!

Too bad the Star lost the Diner during the "expierement" so your friend could expierence the trip to/from Tampa.Sounds like you made a convert.

Good karma that you had a good crew, small passenger load and the food was tasty!

Bet you won't be doing journeys like this on your trip to the "Peoples Republic"!

Enjoyed your report - covered all the bases. Looking forward to your fotos.

Reminded me of a round trip taken in 2013 - WashDC-Orlando - Silver Star southbound; Silver Meteor northward.

Mine was in roomettes w/toilets. Consists had full-service dining cars. An okay trip for eastern runs - which only means

my preferences are the western routes.

Some snaps:

(1) Silver Star loco's heading south at Orlando

(2) Auto train facility at Sanford - taken from northbound Silver Meteor

Cheers from Missouri!

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for bringing back lovely memories! The Silver crews always seem to try to keep up good standards, whatever Amtrak management tries to mess up.

I had a sleeper car attendant named James a few years ago--he was excellent. He was a bit formal and had air fresheners in his car. I wonder if this was the same gentleman or a different one?

Nice report on your southbound trip...glad the food was good despite your first meal companion. That can definitely be a toss-up!
Thanks! It's all part of the random draw of community seating.

Too bad the Star lost the Diner during the "expierement" so your friend could expierence the trip to/from Tampa.Sounds like you made a convert.

Good karma that you had a good crew, small passenger load and the food was tasty!

Bet you won't be doing journeys like this on your trip to the "Peoples Republic"!
Yeah I would have also liked to try the star and pick up the trackage on the way to Tampa, but I don't think the trip would be to exciting without a dining car.

Enjoyed your report - covered all the bases. Looking forward to your fotos.

Reminded me of a round trip taken in 2013 - WashDC-Orlando - Silver Star southbound; Silver Meteor northward.

Mine was in roomettes w/toilets. Consists had full-service dining cars. An okay trip for eastern runs - which only means

my preferences are the western routes.

Some snaps:

(1) Silver Star loco's heading south at Orlando

(2) Auto train facility at Sanford - taken from northbound Silver Meteor

Cheers from Missouri!
Thanks, and thanks for sharing your pics.

Enjoyed your trip report and glad your friend had a good experience so far. :)

Thanks!

Thank you for bringing back lovely memories! The Silver crews always seem to try to keep up good standards, whatever Amtrak management tries to mess up.

I had a sleeper car attendant named James a few years ago--he was excellent. He was a bit formal and had air fresheners in his car. I wonder if this was the same gentleman or a different one?
It sounds like we had the same attendant I thought he did an excellent job. He had some air freshener as well as clorox wipes definitely going above and beyond.

On the NB train now just pulled out of Kissimmee.

After dinner I toyed around with a few routings to finish burning the remaining AGR points I have left. I have a couple of ideas floating around for next week. So stay tuned as I should have a few more trip reports to bore you to tears. In three weeks I will of course have my report detailing my visit to Pyongyang, North Korea if that kind of thing interests you. It looks like I will end up spending almost 30 days on the road pretty much straight, which will be a personal best for me.

After a solid nights sleep I woke up around 6:15 to get ready to head back to the train station and do it all over again. It was raining when we arrived, and it was still raining when I woke up, so much for the “Sunshine State”. We were supposed to have breakfast included in our rate, but since I booked this whole trip sitting in an airport lounge in San Diego last week I made the reservation for the wrong date, but was lucky to be accommodated anyway for only a couple dollars more, but without breakfast. Once we were cleaned up and dressed we hailed another Uber to head back to the train station. The ride was pretty uneventful in a brand new Toyota Rav4 and we got to the train station around 7:45. This meant we only had to wait about five minutes before they began boarding the train.

I noticed we had the same consist as our Southbound trip except the Miami yard crew replaced the café car on the end with the proper Amfleet II coach. We made ourselves comfortable in room 7 of car 9811 which still had its name painted on the doors “College View” would be taking us back to New York. There was only one other passenger in our car that joined us in Miami, so Sonni was quick to come introduce himself. He also said that the dining car would be open for breakfast at 9AM. I didn’t anticipate breakfast being served on this train, and with our snafu at the hotel it was rather welcome news. We pulled out of Miami on time at 8:10. I was a little confused as I had been working off the timetable effective April 6th as this was the one provided on both trains as well as the Club Acela. After looking at the website I saw that there was in fact a new schedule effective August 31th. Whoops I didn’t mean to cut it that close this morning!

After we pulled out of Hollywood we decided to head down to the dining car since Sonni had said the dining car was now open and serving. We were the first two customers for breakfast and were told we could take a table to ourselves. On this trip I noticed we had two servers and two chefs. On the southbound run we only had one server and one chef, so I’m not sure which is the normal operation for this train. The LSA was very nice, but I found one of the servers to be eager to rush us through everything. We both had the breakfast special which was two slices of French toast and two scrambled eggs. I found it to be a best of both worlds type situation since I still got to have some French toast and some eggs. After our server blew us out the door we returned to our room.

The rest of the morning passed pretty quickly my friend watched a movie on his laptop, and I caught up on some online reading and a few emails. We remained on time through out the morning, or 10 minutes early according to the provided timetable. After we departed Winter Haven we decided to head up for lunch. We again were the first to arrive, and were again told that we could take our own table. I considered protesting since I was still hoping to at least have a couple memorable tablemates during this trip, but I didn’t feel like it was the right move since I guess most people would be happy that they didn’t have to share. We were once again given the “express” server who again appeared to be racing us through lunch where there were only 3 tables eating in the entire dining car. We both had the burger again which was just as good as one from yesterday. We were considering ordering another beer before dessert, and just kind of lingering in the dining car, but I knew with our server that would not have gone over well. So, we had our dessert, and headed into an equally empty lounge car for the next round.

After we finished up we headed back to the room right around the time that we were getting close to Orlando. I got out for a little while, and peeked into the station before getting back onboard. My friend was feeling pretty tired from our trip, so I dropped the bunk down so he could lie down for a while. I have done almost all my traveling this year by myself, so it was a good reality check that most people don’t stay in transit like this for days on end. I’ve done some incredibly stupid trips this year where I’ve flown to places like Doha, Qatar and Zurich, Switzerland for work and left with in a couple hours of arriving, so a nice leisurely train ride without a major swing in time zones or climates wasn’t really wearing me out. My last leisure trip a few weeks ago to Easter Island was about 35 hours of total transit time each way, so I guess I’m a sucker for punishment. I poured myself another drink and got to work writing this section of the report.

We got to Jacksonville early so we had quite a long stop there I walked around train side, but didn’t head into the station. I spoke a little bit more with our car attendant and another passenger. We departed Jacksonville on time, and started to think about our 7:45 dinner reservation choice. Around 7:30 we decided to see if they would seat us a little early, but the LSA said we were to early and that there would be an announcement. Okay that’s fine, but again there were only 4 tables with people dining. He was saying it was going to get busy in Savannah, so we retreated back to the room and waited for the announcement. We were seated with a couple that was very nice and easy to chat with, a first for this trip. We pulled into Savannah at about the same time our entrees came out. By the time we finished our desserts the dining car was still just as empty as it was when we were chased out. Whatever, I guess I’m just not a fan of this dining car crew.

After dinner I took advantage of the empty roomette next to us to make a few phone calls. We started to loose some time here and there. Around 9PM I set the room up for the night. I was hoping we’d be nearing Charleston, but a quick check of my phone showed we were nowhere close. I hadn’t really noticed, but some where along the line we had lost about an hour. We ended up leaving Charleston an hour and 10 minutes behind at 10:27. I decided to call it a night after that.

I slept very solidly through the night, and the next thing that I can clearly remember was seeing the dome of the Capitol Building in the morning light. Certainly an interesting view to start to start the day. We arrived into Washington Union station roughly 30 minutes behind schedule. After walking around a bit during the power swap we got ready to head to breakfast. I again had the special with French toast and eggs. The dining crew was good this morning, and the people we sat with were nice. A good meal to end the trip was welcomed. When we returned to the room Sonni had it changed back over, I admit I nodded off before Wilmington and didn’t wake up until we were in Philadelphia. We were still 30 minutes behind schedule. After we pulled out of Philly we started to prepare for the end of the trip by packing away everything.

The discussion began on what train we would take back to Metropark, and it looked like if we ended up a half hour late into Newark we could bail one stop early and have a very short wait for a train that would bring us back. Instead of going all the way into Penn Station and then backtracking further. With a couple of different plans in mind we decided it would be a game time decision depending on when we got to Newark. I knew that there was one passenger in our car detraining at Newark so the door would get opened either way. It looked like we would have a six-minute connection in Newark Penn, which I knew would be plenty of time. We got our stuff ready, and joined Sonni and the other passenger in the vestibule. We came to a stop on either track 1 or 2 I always forget which one is the dedicated PATH track. I checked a monitor and saw that the train we needed would be on track 4. No problem at all I figured we had it in the bag, so we rushed down the stairs and then back up to the track 4 platform. That’s when I took a better look at the monitor, and noticed the train we were planning on catching had been canceled. Whoops, I felt good knowing that had the train run we would have easily made it. My friend didn’t quite share the same positive attitude, but either way it would only be a 35-minute wait for the next train.

After milling around the platform for about a half hour our train did arrive. We were able to get some seats in the middle level. I find that with baggage the multilevel cars can be a challenge unless you get seats in that middle level. The ride was totally uneventful and about 30 minutes later we arrived at Metropark, and found our way back to my car. We had a nice quick drive down the parkway and arrived safely home.

Overall, it was a good trip I enjoyed getting back on some long distance trains. This trip was what I needed to get back into the groove of traveling on long distance trains, and I am looking forward to tapping into the rest of my AGR points. My friend definitely enjoyed the trip, and said he would absolutely consider taking a long distance train in the future.

Thanks for reading I hope I didn’t bore you to tears. I am working on trying to squeeze in another trip in the upcoming days so I should have some more content coming soon. I should have the pictures up by tomorrow.

Great trip Stephen, look forward to the pics!

And the kind of globe trotting you describe isn't crazy, its something to envy!

As Janis Joplin sang, "..get it while you can.."

I know not many Americans have been to North Korea since the Korean War, so you'll have another unique memory to add to your SE Asia and Easter Island trips!

Back