Business Class in long distance trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm seeing that the Coast Starlight has business class, which is unusual for long distance trains. Do any other LD trains have business class or is the CS the only one? The biggest perk for me would probably be the metropolitan lounge in LA assuming it's a nice one. Amtrak's website seems to indicate a car is reserved for business class. Is this the case?

I'm seeing that the Coast Starlight has business class, which is unusual for long distance trains. Do any other LD trains have business class or is the CS the only one? The biggest perk for me would probably be the metropolitan lounge in LA assuming it's a nice one. Amtrak's website seems to indicate a car is reserved for business class. Is this the case?
Lake Shore Limited from Boston to Chicago has BC.

BC on the Cardinal was nice. Too bad it was discontinued. 2 to 1 seating is only available on the LSL from Chicago to Albany. I ve always been one of the first on that train from the Metropolitan Lounge and grabbed one of the five single seats. Wish all the LD trains had that car. Upgrade from Coach and not as pricy as a roomette and a much better chance if you are a solo traveler to sit alone.

So is there generally a single car designated for business class when it's connected to an LD train?
AFAIR, on single level trains they have always used an Amfleet one split Cafe/BC since those are the only ones that have 2x1 seating.

Someone who has traveled on the Coast Starlight BC can give a better description of how it is done in Superliner trains.

AFAIR, on single level trains they have always used an Amfleet one split Cafe/BC since those are the only ones that have 2x1 seating.

Someone who has traveled on the Coast Starlight BC can give a better description of how it is done in Superliner trains.

On the Crescent, Amtrak used a standard Amfleet II coach. The amenity was its position (less foot traffic) and lower capacity so your chances of getting a solo seat for a solo traveler were pretty much a sure thing.

On the Crescent, Amtrak used a standard Amfleet II coach. The amenity was its position (less foot traffic) and lower capacity so your chances of getting a solo seat for a solo traveler were pretty much a sure thing.
Ah OK. Now I recall people complaining about there being very little difference in accommodation between Coach and BC. Thanks for reminding me.

I'll take shorter trips on the Coast Starlight once in a while, if the schedule happens to work better for me than the Surfliner. Business class will have it's own car, which in terms of hard product is very similar to Coach. You do get some type of snack/snack box, most of the time. And, as of recently, you also have the option of dining (for additional cost) in the dining car, which isn't open to coach.

As others have said, for me, the big benefit is a much less crowded car, and excellent chance of a solo seat, for a very modest increase in price.

As others have said, for me, the big benefit is a much less crowded car, and excellent chance of a solo seat, for a very modest increase in price.
I have often opted for BC on Regionals too for that reason, and of course the AGR points bonus too!

I used BC on Trains 11/14 several times before 2020, in all parts of the route except SEA<>PDX. The cars all but one trip were conventional Superliner coaches with re-upholstered seats. Although they have 2+2 seating, the only time I have had to share a seat was PDX>KFS when students were returning to colleges.

On one occasion they were using a conventional Superliner coach. On each trip the Lower Level was conventional coach for seniors and those of us with disabilities.

The seats are nice, but the main selling points for me are access to the Metropolitan Lounges, a dedicated attendant, and on the overnight segment, low occupancy KFS<>SAC. Access to the diner having been restored, that's a plus for the longer trips, too.

The main logic in offering BC is that unlike the denser corridors, the CS is part of the corridor schedules and both Cascades and the Coast Line offer it on other trains. It makes one less quirk when selling travel.

Ah OK. Now I recall people complaining about there being very little difference in accommodation between Coach and BC. Thanks for reminding me.

I’d actually take a 30% full amfleet II over a 100% club car with 2-1 seating. Of course if it had proven popular Amtrak could have sold it out as solo seats were not guaranteed.

I remember when they started that on the Coast Starlight. It was a completed cluster ---- The conductors and LSAs had no idea if the business class passengers were allowed free meals in the diner and/or should have access to the Pacific Parlour Car. I saw three different policies on the PPC on three separate trips --- one time allowed in, the next time not, the third time they were only allowed in the PPC for the wine tasting if they paid $10 for it. Hahaha. Typical Amtrak of staff making up their own policies and there no being any official direction.

I'll take shorter trips on the Coast Starlight once in a while, if the schedule happens to work better for me than the Surfliner. Business class will have it's own car, which in terms of hard product is very similar to Coach. You do get some type of snack/snack box, most of the time. And, as of recently, you also have the option of dining (for additional cost) in the dining car, which isn't open to coach.

No snack box was offered in mid December.

BC on the Cardinal was nice. Too bad it was discontinued. 2 to 1 seating is only available on the LSL from Chicago to Albany. I ve always been one of the first on that train from the Metropolitan Lounge and grabbed one of the five single seats. Wish all the LD trains had that car. Upgrade from Coach and not as pricy as a roomette and a much better chance if you are a solo traveler to sit alone.
I agree on there needing to be BC on all LD trains, but also for it to be standardized or at least published the difference between NER BC (10 fewer seats with slightly different colors, now has seat reservations, curtains, that's it) and 2x1 leather with legrests, curtains, large seats.

BTW BC on the LSL is part of the Boston section 448/449, so yes it travels between Chicago and Albany but continues to Boston.

I often use BC on the Downeaster. It is the forward (South) section of the cafe isolated from the coaches. You get a free non alcoholic drink and often the attendant will come through and serve you before they open for the coach passengers. 2 and 1 seating. Not much more expensive than regular coach fare.

I used BC on the Starlight.
Basically was downstairs, half cabin, pretty empty, I think there was about 8 peeps in the section.
Shared attendant with sleeper, who was in absentia for a great deal of the time.
He checked periodically and took orders for the cafe, no diner service.
The only reason I opted for business was that I could see out both sides of the train.
Normally would have had a roomette even though there was no overnight.
From Emeryville to LA.
I had to endure a person who loudly complained the whole journey that they were freezing.
I talked the attendant into finding a blanket, and when it came it sat on the seat next to said
whiner without being used.
It was an ok experience, it is a train after all.
It was sit where ever you want, no reserved seating.

I used BC on the Starlight.
Basically was downstairs, half cabin, pretty empty, I think there was about 8 peeps in the section.
Shared attendant with sleeper, who was in absentia for a great deal of the time.
He checked periodically and took orders for the cafe, no diner service.
The only reason I opted for business was that I could see out both sides of the train.
Normally would have had a roomette even though there was no overnight.
From Emeryville to LA.
I had to endure a person who loudly complained the whole journey that they were freezing.
I talked the attendant into finding a blanket, and when it came it sat on the seat next to said
whiner without being used.
It was an ok experience, it is a train after all.
It was sit where ever you want, no reserved seating.
My experience in mid-December was different.

It was an entire superliner.
Seats were basically the same as coach, although I think with a little bit more legroom.
We had a dedicated attendant who was nice and nearby most, if not all the time.
We got access to the diner.
Atmosphere was quiet for most of the journey -- occasionally a few people having a loud conversation.
Staff assigned seats.

The Palmetto has BC as well but I kinda see it as a downgrade since it has all the amenities of an Amfleet 2 Coach but with smaller windows.

I really wish the San Joaquin trains and the Bakersfield-L.A. Thruway Bus had BC. It's a long trip from the Bay Area or Sacramento to Southern California and the Surfliners already offer the service. It would be particularly attractive if beverages and a box meal were provided, now that the Cafe Car is being replaced with vending machines.

When I rode the Starlight in September 2021, BC was indeed a separate car. It had leather seating, more legroom, and the seats were a bit wider than regular Coach. I had to pass through the car to get from my sleeper to the Diner and SSL. There were a couple ladies who boarded in Seattle with me, and they rode in BC all the the way to LA. Still, I’d opt for a sleeper, as the train ended up being almost 4 hours late. 38.5 hours is a LONG time to sit in a Coach seating arrangement with a mask on!

Back