Business Class in long distance trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode the Cardinal in 2019 when they had business class. I like the 2v1 seating, but they use an Amfleet I. So, the windows in not as big as the coach class that uses the Amfleet IIs(minor though).

When I rode the Starlight in September 2021, BC was indeed a separate car. It had leather seating, more legroom, and the seats were a bit wider than regular Coach. I had to pass through the car to get from my sleeper to the Diner and SSL. There were a couple ladies who boarded in Seattle with me, and they rode in BC all the the way to LA. Still, I’d opt for a sleeper, as the train ended up being almost 4 hours late. 38.5 hours is a LONG time to sit in a Coach seating arrangement with a mask on!
I did it (although we were on time). Really wasn't that bad, I'd probably do it again.

I really wish the San Joaquin trains and the Bakersfield-L.A. Thruway Bus had BC. It's a long trip from the Bay Area or Sacramento to Southern California and the Surfliners already offer the service. It would be particularly attractive if beverages and a box meal were provided, now that the Cafe Car is being replaced with vending machines.
Oof, didn't realize they where getting rid of the cafe attendant on the San Joaquin trains, that's too bad. Enjoyed it on my trip in 2019 down to Fresno.

Oof, didn't realize they where getting rid of the cafe attendant on the San Joaquin trains, that's too bad. Enjoyed it on my trip in 2019 down to Fresno.
I hope the vending machines include hot food. They could install one of those Vend-o-Mats from the 1960's that delivered an overcooked can of franks & beans or Spaghetti-O's that was too hot to handle. :D

I used BC on the Starlight.
Basically was downstairs, half cabin, pretty empty, I think there was about 8 peeps in the section.

So in this case, were you able to be upstairs?

My experience in mid-December was different.

It was an entire superliner.
Seats were basically the same as coach, although I think with a little bit more legroom.
We had a dedicated attendant who was nice and nearby most, if not all the time.
We got access to the diner.
Atmosphere was quiet for most of the journey -- occasionally a few people having a loud conversation.
Staff assigned seats.

This is more like what I'd hope for. Was it just diner access or was the food included?

When I rode the Starlight in September 2021, BC was indeed a separate car. It had leather seating, more legroom, and the seats were a bit wider than regular Coach. I had to pass through the car to get from my sleeper to the Diner and SSL. There were a couple ladies who boarded in Seattle with me, and they rode in BC all the the way to LA. Still, I’d opt for a sleeper, as the train ended up being almost 4 hours late. 38.5 hours is a LONG time to sit in a Coach seating arrangement with a mask on!

I'd be stopping part way up the coast so the distance is no issue.

Is it frowned upon to take business class for not business use/go with family (teens and older, no small kids, but still possibly louder than most business travelers)?

So in this case, were you able to be upstairs?

This is more like what I'd hope for. Was it just diner access or was the food included?

I'd be stopping part way up the coast so the distance is no issue.

Is it frowned upon to take business class for not business use/go with family (teens and older, no small kids, but still possibly louder than most business travelers)?
Just access, there was a relatively high flat fee

a tiny lounge space (with half the car used for BC seating and maybe half the remaining table space occupied by crew), and of course no food service of any kind for coach passengers south of Albany.

When I choose business class it’s often for the less chaotic atmosphere than in coach, with fewer people bumping into me on their way past. It sounds like the only advantage from BC on this train would be more spacious seats, but with much more through-traffic and a noisier car. I haven’t ridden the Lake Shore Ltd yet; is my impression of it accurate? It would be helpful to know when deciding what to book. Thanks!

Last edited:
When I choose business class it’s often for the less chaotic atmosphere than in coach, with fewer people bumping into me on their way past. It sounds like the only advantage from BC on this train would be more spacious seats, but with much more through-traffic and a noisier car. I haven’t ridden the Lake Shore Ltd yet; is my imoression of it accurate? It would be helpful to know when deciding what to book. Thanks!
No need to worry. The business class seating section of the car is located on the opposite end from the coaches, so the coach passengers don't walk through the business class section. However, the passengers from the Boston sleeper will be passing through on their way to the dining car.

No need to worry. The business class seating section of the car is located on the opposite end from the coaches, so the coach passengers don't walk through the business class section. However, the passengers from the Boston sleeper will be passing through on their way to the dining car.

I don't think this is always the case. When we rode Albany to Boston in October, the table end of the car was next to the Boston sleeper, and the business class end was next to the coaches. And I did think at the time that if I was in BC, I would have been annoyed at how much traffic was passing in the aisle.

I don't think this is always the case. When we rode Albany to Boston in October, the table end of the car was next to the Boston sleeper, and the business class end was next to the coaches. And I did think at the time that if I was in BC, I would have been annoyed at how much traffic was passing in the aisle.

Out of curiosity, were you facing backwards to the direction of travel?

I would guess that was a rare occurrence. Every photo/video I've seen of LSL business class has the seating area at the front of the car and the cafe to the back.

Out of curiosity, were you facing backwards to the direction of travel?

I would guess that was a rare occurrence. Every photo/video I've seen of LSL business class has the seating area at the front of the car and the cafe to the back.

Can't the seats be rotated to face whichever way in those BC/Cafe cars?

There are five single seats in BC on the Lake Shore.That is the major reason for riding BC. When you board from Chicago in the Metropolitan lounge you are certain to grab one. As a single traveler,that makes all the difference in the world. If only all the LD trains had 2 to 1 seating.The LSL and the Palmetto are the only ones.

Can't the seats be rotated to face whichever way in those BC/Cafe cars?

Never been on one of these cars yet (first trip May 12), but I don't really see how they could be flipped. You would need a universal seat front and back, which they don't have. With the footrests, the entire seat would somehow have to turn.

Given how close the seats are to the walls, especially the rows of 2, that seems impossible.

Never been on one of these cars yet (first trip May 12), but I don't really see how they could be flipped. You would need a universal seat front and back, which they don't have. With the footrests, the entire seat would somehow have to turn.

Given how close the seats are to the walls, especially the rows of 2, that seems impossible.
Same way the Amfleet and Superliner seats can be flipped. By rotating them around?

Last edited:
Same way the Amfleet and Superliner seats can be flipped. By rotating them around.
I don't mean to be argumentative, and happy to be proven wrong here, but I just can't see how the seats in this picture could be rotated.

https://www.groundedlifetravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/20210610_135335-scaled.jpg
If you went clockwise or counter-clockwise, they are too close to the wall - especially considering with the middle armrest, they would presumably rotate as one distinct unit.

But, maybe I should ride on one before making declarative claims! Lol.

I don't mean to be argumentative, and happy to be proven wrong here, but I just can't see how the seats in this picture could be rotated.

https://www.groundedlifetravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/20210610_135335-scaled.jpg
If you went clockwise or counter-clockwise, they are too close to the wall - especially considering with the middle armrest, they would presumably rotate as one distinct unit.

I've seen the conductor rotate a set in coach. I believe there is a pedal under the aisle seat, that when pressed, allows you to pull the set of seats a few inches into the aisle, rotate them 180 degrees, then push them back against the wall and lock them into place.

I have seen it done. There is a little pedal underneath on the edge near the aisle. Flip it up or down, yank the seat frame out a few inches, swivel it, then shove it back to the wall to lock it in place. Start at one end of the car, otherwise, the seats hit each other.

Yes...No speculation...LOL
LOL! I figured someone here knows the actual answer, hence my question. I must admit I have ridden those cars a zillion times perhaps even with the front of the car in either direction. But for the life of me I did not categorically remember, so I asked.

It's only recently the railways have gone away from pivoting seats (thanks VIA for starting the trend:rolleyes:), but with that few seats (Amfleet Business/cafe) it would be crazy to force everyone to ride backwards. Sad that something that was once take for granted is now either too complicated or too costly to build.

It's only recently the railways have gone away from pivoting seats (thanks VIA for starting the trend:rolleyes:), but with that few seats (Amfleet Business/cafe) it would be crazy to force everyone to ride backwards. Sad that something that was once take for granted is now either too complicated or too costly to build.
The other thing is, those seats came from Metroclubs, and I had never heard of anyone in Metroclub riding backwards. But still just because I had not heard does not mean it did not happen. So I asked to make sure.

Here is the visual verification ...

2376.bizclass_5F00_wolverine_5F00_jan2012.jpg

maple-leaf-business-class-seats.jpg

Back