Business Class (Long Distance Superliners)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides 66 and 67, is there any trains one can be fairly sure will have 2x1 business class car? I'm hoping to schedule the right train so I can use an upgrade coupon I have.
Even 65/66/67 isn't a sure thing. When there are service disruptions, in Boston we are some times forced to use 67's equipment for 179, since there isn't a spare set laying around the yard. Plus for example, the past few days when 67 was terminating in DC due to the weather in Virginia, some times the equipment will go back out on something else. A couple of month's back when there were cancellations due to track work, 95 would operate down from Boston with a full set of equipment, and 66 was bringing it back. Likewise, I originated 94 in DC with 66's equipment. Also, the split cafe/business seems to get changed out seasonally on 67.

The only train that runs on the corridor that I personally know of that you can more or less guarantee it, is the Vermonter. Even then, anything is possible.

But like PVD said, it really depends on where you're traveling. Also, I can't speak for the Vermonter, but for 67/66, it's not uncommon for business class to sell out because of the limited seating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides 66 and 67, is there any trains one can be fairly sure will have 2x1 business class car? I'm hoping to schedule the right train so I can use an upgrade coupon I have.
Even 65/66/67 isn't a sure thing. When there are service disruptions, in Boston we are some times forced to use 67's equipment for 179, since there isn't a spare set laying around the yard. Plus for example, the past few days when 67 was terminating in DC due to the weather in Virginia, some times the equipment will go back out on something else. A couple of month's back when there were cancellations due to track work, 95 would operate down from Boston with a full set of equipment, and 66 was bringing it back. Likewise, I originated 94 in DC with 66's equipment. Also, the split cafe/business seems to get changed out seasonally on 67.

The only train that runs on the corridor that I personally know of that you can more or less guarantee it, is the Vermonter. Even then, anything is possible.

But like PVD said, it really depends on where you're traveling. Also, I can't speak for the Vermonter, but for 67/66, it's not uncommon for business class to sell out because of the limited seating.
I'll be on 88 this coming Saturday, business class RVR-WAS. Any idea what type of BC car this train typically uses? Thanks,

I'll be on 88 this coming Saturday, business class RVR-WAS. Any idea what type of BC car this train typically uses? Thanks,
88 should always be a full car. That train may be quiet RVR-WAS, but is a zoo from WAS north/east.

I booked Business Class from CUS to Galesburg ($16 more) on train #383 (Illinois Zephyr) so I could use Chicago's Metro Lounge.

From what I've seen it looks like the #383 uses the Lounge/Cafe car as it's Business Class space.

I'm not sure how that works out since I've not used that train before.
It's nice. If it's an Amfleet, there are 18 business class leather seats in 1/3 of the car, in the middle 1/3 is the cafe, and the 1/3 toward coach is the cafe-lounge with one toilet

If Horizon; the toilet is in the business-class side, the seats are cloth, and there are 14 seats.

They also had a cafe car out of chicago where they took out 1 seat in business with no replacement and installed bike racks in the cafe lounge. It was...different.

All the Illinois trains and several in the Northeast use the combination Business Class and Cafe car. It provides 2 x 1 seating and the seats are large like first class airline seats. You will like it.

I booked Business Class from CUS to Galesburg ($16 more) on train #383 (Illinois Zephyr) so I could use Chicago's Metro Lounge.

From what I've seen it looks like the #383 uses the Lounge/Cafe car as it's Business Class space.

I'm not sure how that works out since I've not used that train before.
It's nice. If it's an Amfleet, there are 18 business class leather seats in 1/3 of the car, in the middle 1/3 is the cafe, and the 1/3 toward coach is the cafe-lounge with one toilet

If Horizon; the toilet is in the business-class side, the seats are cloth, and there are 14 seats.

They also had a cafe car out of chicago where they took out 1 seat in business with no replacement and installed bike racks in the cafe lounge. It was...different.
Sounds nice.

In May I'll make photos or a short video.

Watching a video of the #383 going by, it looked like the Business Class/Café/Lounge car is right behind the locomotive?

Watching a video of the #383 going by, it looked like the Business Class/Café/Lounge car is right behind the locomotive?
It depends. it will either be the first car after the locomotive or the very last car on the train.

..., but ideally business class involves 2-1 deluxe seating.
I'll admit, the few times I have taken BC was because of the 2-1 recliner seating. However, those single level cars are few and far between. Plus, I don't think we'll ever see new cars like those.
Without those special seats, to me, BC is really nothing more than a "free" small soda, and maybe priority boarding.
Again, I try to explain to people here, but no one wants to hear me. At least on the corridor, the drinks handed out are not the small ones any more, they are only used for mixers now. Business Class gets full sized revenue drinks now, and it's not just a single one that you get either... As long as you're not passing them around to people you're walking by, and you're not coming up every 15 minutes and putting the drinks in your luggage (yes, both have happened with me), I will keep the goods coming.

As far as priority boarding, the announcement is even being made in Boston now for business class, military personnel, etc. Sounds like they're really trying to make an effort now.
I guess my points is, regardless if the soda is in small cans or large cans, regardless if you get only one or as many as you want, one would need to drink an awful lot of soda to offset (justify) the additional cost of BC, if soda is only real tangible perk.

I believe the train in question uses a full length Amfleet 1 BC car, but I'm sure some one will correct me if that is incorrect.

The big problem with BC is that it takes many different forms and price points depending on the specific service. Equipment is all over the map, sometimes it is the same as the rest of the coaches, sometimes it is a big step up. Some BC services include digital newspapers, in some areas, lounge access is included, A less cluttered and quiet(usually) environment may be significant to some. Some of these differences relate to trains being state supported or sponsored, and they have a say in offerings. A little grid chart showing what is available on the different trains with check boxes might make it a little clearer. Obviously, a note that equipment swaps might result in a change would be appropriate.

For my ride on the Illinois Zephyr I opted to pay the extra for Business Class primarily to get access to the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge.
I'm only riding from CHI to GBB some 2 hours and 43 minutes.
According to it's Wikipedia page the Illinois Zephyr is the "longest continuously operated state-sponsored train."

https://www.amtrak.com/illinois-services-train Business Class on Illinois Services
Enjoy an enhanced travel experience in Business Class on Illinois Services and you’ll have access to exclusive amenities such as a fully refundable ticket if canceled prior to departure, 25% point bonus for Amtrak Guest Rewards members, seating in a dedicated car with a service attendant, complimentary coffee, tea and newspaper, and access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago.
I found a photo of Amfleet I Business Class seats:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amfleet#/media/File:Amfleet_I_business_class_at_WAS.jpg

Those in the picture are the Am 1 split car seats, you can see the service counter in the background, just about every passenger likes those cars. The Am 1 full BC car is a different animal, it is 2 + 2, I believe 62 seats as opposed to a standard 72 seat Am 1 coach

I travel Empire Service a few times a year, those split cars are what they use. when seats are available at a reasonable upcharge I go for them. Problem is they sell out between NYP and Albany, and that runs up the price.

Back