Business Class Offered Aboard Crescent Trains 19 and 20

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. Business class is probably the single best way of increasing revenue on the long distance trains.

Given that according to Bruce Becker, some people will literally pay for business class even if it has *no perks whatsoever*, it does seem like a surefire way of increasing revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is why just the CA in Philly. Why not NYP and WAS. And whatever the Magnolia Room is
Given how busy NYP and WAS Club Acela lounges can get, do we really want to entertain the idea of selling admission to an already crowded lounge? The one time I was in the PHL lounge it was near empty. Boston is offering this to Business Class passengers as well, but again, the few times I had been in it was fairly quiet.

My question is why just the CA in Philly. Why not NYP and WAS. And whatever the Magnolia Room is
Given how busy NYP and WAS Club Acela lounges can get, do we really want to entertain the idea of selling admission to an already crowded lounge? The one time I was in the PHL lounge it was near empty. Boston is offering this to Business Class passengers as well, but again, the few times I had been in it was fairly quiet.
Yes, given the relatively small size of the NYP and WAS Club Acela lounges for the business they get, not unreasonable to not add those as options. The Club Acela lounge in WAS may get expanded as part of the Phase 1 project to expand the passenger concourse over the lower level tracks, but the completion of that project is presumably 3+ years away.

I continue to be surprised where Amtrak is adding BC to the eastern single level (overnight) LD trains. First, the Cardinal. Now, the Crescent. I would have thought that the LSL and the Star would be the logical LD trains to get BC first. Is it logistics issues or do they want to add BC to the less busy eastern LD trains first? But where is the equipment coming from?*

As Nerodon commented, there are people who will almost automatically choose BC, regardless of what additional amenities are provided. Why not get the extra revenue?

*If there had not been all the problems with the CAF production and Amtrak had not its funding squeezed so much, an order for 25 Viewliner II mixed 1/2 BC - 1/2 lounge/table cars might have been a useful follow-on to the current production run.

It might also be a way to get sleepers opened up for more longs. Like me I would go business for a day trip from clemson south. Which would free sleeper space. I might actually test this business class out and take sleeper back.

Wow, had I had this available last month, I'd have taken BC down to Atlanta, no questions!

I don't believe they are using a split club for this move..

Club access in MYP is not offered to the BC passengers on NEC or Empire trains. It would be hard to open it to some BC passengers and not others. It's pretty crowded at times already.

I continue to be surprised where Amtrak is adding BC to the eastern single level (overnight) LD trains. First, the Cardinal. Now, the Crescent. I would have thought that the LSL and the Star would be the logical LD trains to get BC first.
I wonder if the split nature of the LSL complicates things. Might be hard to add BC to both legs, and confusing to just add it to one leg.

My understanding is a regular Amfleet II coach will be positioned between the sleepers and diner for the business class service. I'm assuming this will result in a reduction of coach capacity as one coach will simply move from the back to the middle. I wonder what people will think boarding a car labeled "coachclass".

So you get a free drink? That's kind of pathetic. And yet another definition of business class. How many are there now?

Soooo, with all these new Biz Class offerings, does anyone think Amtrak will attempt to "standardize" the BC experience, or will it still be a game of "Amtrak-Roulette"?

Given Bruce Becker's informal polling which showed that many people paid for business class solely to be "away from the coach passengers", perhaps Amtrak will standardize on a business class which has no perks except a "business class only" sign and a curtain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back