Business Class on Coast Starlight eligible to eat in the Diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread invites sort of a meal log for Business Class dining.

I was in BC from SJC to PDX on July 29/30 and enjoyed breakfast in my favorite stretch in the dining car, out of KFS along Klamath Lake. I was seated with a young SoCal couple who had read about the water rights battles in that region and were interested to see some of the avian life that depends on it. It wasn't a hearty breakfast, but it was good. No one came to ask for reservations for lunch.

On August 5 I rode the Thruway bus from SSD to PDX. Because I was to be in BC from PDX to DAV I was able to leave my bags in the Metropolitan Lounge. Wilf's fine dining in the station is not open till dinner time. The snack bar has fish and chips that were better than fast food restaurants and also offers Korean dishes besides the usual items. Tables, however, were removed for COVID reasons. I could have taken my food back to the lounge but chose to sit where I could watch the line for the noon northbound Cascades stretch across the station and out the baggage department / bus parking door. Station staff culled the BC latecomers out of the line and showed them where to check in at the Metropolitan Lounge.

In BC on Train 11 no one asked us for dinner reservations, but the car attendant took cafe car orders for LL passengers not able to navigate the stairs. I walked to the cafe during a stop and found that there were a couple of types of fresh sandwiches I had not seen before and that brings their overall cafe offerings up to Greyhound standards.

Breakfast on August 6 was at the Neighborhood Bakery (across from the Davis depot) as before. While waiting in collegiate Davis for delayed Train 6, what seemed to be the Princeton alumni club met at adjacent tables.

There should be capacity for BC dinners on Train 14 PDX>SEA because the sleeper volume north of PDX is usually lower. The likelier problem on that segment is being out of items.

I should add that on LD trains that I rode this summer (1, 6, 11, 14, 19, 50) they finally have begun clarifying in announcements that they are not inviting the coach passengers to the diner. When that policy began, they invited confrontations by not telling coach passengers of the new policy until they got to the dining car for breakfast.

Thank You Willbridge. Not new or unexpected news, but fairly and eloquently stated.

The Bakery at Davis seems like a treasure - an oasis to be celebrated in these times.

It almost makes me want to hop on a train and check it out. Note that I did say "almost'. :>)

Last edited:
Thank You Willbridge. Not new or unexpected news, but fairly and eloquently stated.

The Bakery at Davis seems like a treasure - an oasis to be celebrated in these times.

It almost makes me want to hop on a train and check it out. Note that I did say "almost'. :>)
One of the things I learned in military intelligence work is that you have to keep checking some things. When the opposition's routine changes then you need to find out why. Amtrak food service seems to require the same sort of regular attention.

I took the coast starlight in a sleeper in 2 segments. On the LAX - Emeryville segment the LSA invited business class passengers to both lunch and dinner. I ate with a gentleman from Business Class and at dinner the waiter nicely asked if I was sleeper or BC.

On the Oakland - Seattle segment the LSA never mentioned business class in announcements and I didn’t observe and business class passengers in the diner.

Isn't THAT the truth; consistency is not a priority. I still can't understand why Amtrak is letting some of their crews get away with making their own rules to suit.
Possibly because Management rides Desks 8-5 and there's no one really in Charge out on the Road!( I've found most Conductors don't want to become involved in the duties of OBS).

Bringing back the Crew Chief Position is the obvious Answer,it works great on VIAs Canadian and Ocean, and if done properly would lead to big improvements in Customer Service aboard LD Trains!

Possibly because Management rides Desks 8-5 and there's no one really in Charge out on the Road!( I've found most Conductors don't want to become involved in the duties of OBS).

Bringing back the Crew Chief Position is the obvious Answer,it works great on VIAs Canadian and Ocean, and if done properly would lead to big improvements in Customer Service aboard LD Trains!
But there are no conductors on Canadian and Ocean, correct? So they are staffed differently. So is it not a wash for FTE between Amtrak and VIA?

But there are no conductors on Canadian and Ocean, correct? So they are staffed differently. So is it not a wash for FTE between Amtrak and VIA?
VIA is staffed differently but the point is that VIA has a manager of OBS similar to the former “chief of on board services” on Amtrak.

While technically in charge of all personnel on the train, conductors usually won't step in with an OBS issue unless it is an issue an OBS staffer has with a passenger. They also are in two entirely separate reporting structures. Most conductors do not give a rip about OBS quality and do not consider it a part of their duties at all.

All OBS crew on VIA report to the Service Manager and are responsible to them.

The difference is night and day. SM's are responsible for enforcing service policies and standards and they do. It's part of their primary job responsibilities. It is likely why VIA has onboard service consistency undreamed of at Amtrak.

And yes, VIA does not have conductors, the only T&E crew are the engineers in the cab.

I heard this referred to recently as an "experiment." Is the experiment still alive?

Thanks...

Yes, you can in the Starlight's BC. BC on the Surfliners is no longer allowed in, but the Starlight's BC pax are. It is specifically called out in LA's Met Lounge info on Amtrak.com.
Thanks for the Update, I was told by an Agent @ the Lounge that No BC Passengers were allowed to use the Lounge, guess the Exception proves the Rule!

Last edited:
Thanks for the Update, I was told by an Agent @ the Lounge that No BC Passengers were allowed to use the Lounge, guess the Exception proves the Rule!
Unfortunately, not all Amtrak employees care to familiarize themselves the actual policy. If I were trying to access LA's Met Lounge with a Starlight BC ticket, I'd have the LA Met Lounge page at Amtrak.com bookmarked so I could show the actual access policy to them if challenged.

Back