Business class on Woverine-Is it worth the extra cost?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve ridden the wolverine in both coach and business class and I think the BC upgrade is worth it. Just be sure to announce that you are from BC and are requesting your 1 free drink to the cafe attendant or you’ll be scolded for ordering improperly! Haha.

The reason I think the upgrade is worth it - early boarding in Chicago
- 2x1 seating
- smaller, generally quieter crowd in the seating area.

Currently it may not be worth the upgrade because of lower ridership on the trains.

I’ve actually had better luck with the attendants than the previous poster.

It was just 1 attendant. Just a very memorable experience since I didn’t realize I could order a bottle of water incorrectly. Ha.

Other LSA’s on the Michigan and Illinois trains have been friendly enough.

Plan ahead. Business class is sold out on most trips on the Wolverine service.
One thing I've noticed is that (at least in the Norteast) Business class tickets make alot of sense if you're planning ahead; you get the same 100% flexibility as the Flexible coach fares, but at a lower cost. Sometimes even lower than Value fares. On the Acela First Class works out similarly compared to Business Class.

Last edited:
I’ve ridden the wolverine in both coach and business class and I think the BC upgrade is worth it. Just be sure to announce that you are from BC and are requesting your 1 free drink to the cafe attendant or you’ll be scolded for ordering improperly! Haha.

The reason I think the upgrade is worth it - early boarding in Chicago
- 2x1 seating
- smaller, generally quieter crowd in the seating area.

Currently it may not be worth the upgrade because of lower ridership on the trains.

I always take Wolverine BC for all the same reasons plus the added space/legroom is very helpful when you are working on a laptop, which I always am. However they are only selling 50% of the seats now, so on this train that's 7-8 seats total. So you will either have 1 single seat alone along one side of the car or you can have 2 seats to yourself right now due to COVID. As we get closer to spring these sell out very quickly and if it's a Thurs/Fri/Sun/Mon that sells out quickly too. Good news is, if you decide not to use your ticket it's fully refundable.

Only time I’ve done business class on the Surfliner it was a single level horizon train set. Still got the snack box and 2 seats to myself on the ocean side but I would have liked to see how the normal Surfliner BC Car is like.

Only time I’ve done business class on the Surfliner it was a single level horizon train set. Still got the snack box and 2 seats to myself on the ocean side but I would have liked to see how the normal Surfliner BC Car is like.
It's a Superliner long-distance coach with 2x2 seating. Other than the great service, wine and snack box, I'd be hard-pressed to find a difference beyond the blue exterior paint.

Acela business class is like coach.
That's not 100% true. Seat pitch in Acela Business class is more like the Amfleet 1 2x2 business class than the Amfleet 1 coach. Acela Business class also has window curtains, just like Amfleet 1 business class and unlike Amfleet 1 coaches. So Acela Business class is a bit of an upgrade over Northeast Regional coach. Of course, no free drinks in Acela Business class.

It's a Superliner long-distance coach with 2x2 seating.

The main business class car on Surfliner train sets is a standard Surfliner car (also with 2x2 seating) -- the Superliner coach is basically used for overflow. (I've only ever sat in the Surfliner car when I've been in Surfliner business class.)

The main business class car on Surfliner train sets is a standard Surfliner car (also with 2x2 seating) -- the Superliner coach is basically used for overflow. (I've only ever sat in the Surfliner car when I've been in Surfliner business class.)

I’ve sat in a superliner Coach on a Surfliner train - is that sometimes used for Business Class?

The answer to your question is Yes, and No. There is no clear cut answer.
Over the years, I've had memorable relaxing trips, and less memorable stressful trips, equally in BC and Coach. The increased fare difference has rendered the free drink and newspaper moot, in my opinion, also the restroom being removed from the car means you'll walk back to the closest coach facility or the one in the cafe car if operational.
Ease of boarding experience is probably the most significant factor in deciding whether to pay for BC, and sometimes I'll decide it's worth the up-charge and other times not.

Sorry I wasn't clear -- yes, the Superliner coach is used as overflow for business class.

Ok interesting. Yeah I’d like to ride in the Surfliner BC Car just to see the equipment sometime. They set up a little self serve area for drinks right? That’s something that’s missing from the Horizon equipment set up.

I thought the Business Class was worth it on my only trip, just for the extra points, free Diet Coke and coffee, and to have fewer people in the car with the pandemic going on.

BC on the Surfliner is probably the best value. Breakfast muffins,coffee and juice and a snack pack with wine during the afternoon. These days they bring the food to you.

On the other hand BC on the Coast Starlight gets you a bottle of water. Big advantage these days gives you a quiet car. Only four people total between Portland and Sacramento. No coffee or soft drinks.

Back