Business class on Woverine-Is it worth the extra cost?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok interesting. Yeah I’d like to ride in the Surfliner BC Car just to see the equipment sometime. They set up a little self serve area for drinks right? That’s something that’s missing from the Horizon equipment set up.
It's a Superliner long-distance coach with 2x2 seating. Other than the great service, wine and snack box, I'd be hard-pressed to find a difference beyond the blue exterior paint.
To clarify my earlier post, I was describing a Surfliner BC car with the blue-painted exterior, but essentially saw little difference between it and a Superliner coach. My point was it is 2x2 seating, not 2x1 as might be expected elsewhere in the system. There was also no self-service anything; snacks and beverages were brought to one's seat. Here is an interior pic:

amtrak_pacific_surfliner_business.jpg

To clarify my earlier post, I was describing a Surfliner BC car with the blue-painted exterior, but essentially saw little difference between it and a Superliner coach. My point was it is 2x2 seating, not 2x1 as might be expected elsewhere in the system. There was also no self-service anything; snacks and beverages were brought to one's seat. Here is an interior pic:

View attachment 20781

Yeah... that’s the car I would to ride in sometime, just to experience it.

View attachment 20781
Looks like there's more legroom than in Surfliner coach. Certainly more than Capitol Corridor coach, which was surprisingly cramped when I rode it.

Yeah... that’s the car I would to ride in sometime, just to experience it.
On the second level, near the staircase, there is a small table which may have once been used for self-service as you described (based on its location), however on our last trip the attendant was using it as his "prep" station. I do recall a self-serve table in a previous Superliner BC car during "breakfast" hours, where muffins and a coffee urn were stationed. This latest trip (September 2019) was our first on the blue Surfliner car; there was a Superliner in the consist but it was not being used for Business Class.

I am not sure if I rode in any of those cars...if I did, it was a long time ago. My impression just from that photo, is that it is not as 'refined' an atmosphere as a Superliner coach, account of the ceiling and underside of the package racks not being fabric covered. Perhaps better for cleaning, but it seems more "transit type' than long distance quiet and comfort. Same with the harsh ceiling lighting as compared with the Superliner 'cove lighting'....

I suppose considering the different mission of the California cars, their design is more appropriate for their intended use. JMHO....

I am not sure if I rode in any of those cars...if I did, it was a long time ago. My impression just from that photo, is that it is not as 'refined' an atmosphere as a Superliner coach, account of the ceiling and underside of the package racks not being fabric covered. Perhaps better for cleaning, but it seems more "transit type' than long distance quiet and comfort. Same with the harsh ceiling lighting as compared with the Superliner 'cove lighting'....

I suppose considering the different mission of the California cars, their design is more appropriate for their intended use. JMHO....
Yes, I was actually going to mention some of those same details. I've done several trips in Southern California Business Class (some before it was named Surfliner), but this most recent was first in this type of car. The lighting was the first thing I noticed - fluorescent tubes instead of indirect and a little "worn" on both hard and soft surfaces. The BC car had curtains, as did the Superliner adjacent, whereas I don't believe the regular coaches did. If doing the trip in coach I'd certainly seek out the Superliners in the consist - there were two that day, and I can also see why they would use one some days for Business "overflow". The BC car was absolutely packed for the entire trip, with significant changeover at LAUS.

On the second level, near the staircase, there is a small table which may have once been used for self-service as you described (based on its location), however on our last trip the attendant was using it as his "prep" station. I do recall a self-serve table in a previous Superliner BC car during "breakfast" hours, where muffins and a coffee urn were stationed. This latest trip (September 2019) was our first on the blue Surfliner car; there was a Superliner in the consist but it was not being used for Business Class.
I used to always ride in BC on my trips on the Surfliners. In my last trip from Santa Barbara to San Diego I was in BC, but Ocean View was in the consist , so needless to say after getting my " Snackpack" and a drink, I headed up the Stairs and rode all the way in the Dome. 😍Those were the days my friend, so sad they had to end! 😥

I used to always ride in BC on my trips on the Surfliners. In my last trip from Santa Barbara to San Diego I was in BC, but Ocean View was in the consist , so needless to say after getting my " Snackpack" and a drink, I headed up the Stairs and rode all the way in the Dome. 😍Those were the days my friend, sad they had to end! 😥
On the subject of Ocean View, several recent Surfliners viewed on railcam have featured Amtrak Sightseer lounge cars. That's a great route to deploy them on when not needed on their usual trains right now.

On the subject of Ocean View, several recent Surfliners viewed on railcam have featured Amtrak Sightseer lounge cars. That's a great route to deploy them on when not needed on their usual trains right now.
Good to know, thanks!

Ocean view also used to spend part of the Fall " Leaf Peeping" Season in the consist of the Adirondack between Albany and Montreal, and when the Cardinal was Superliner equipped, sometimes between Chicago and Washington although I never got to ride it.

To the OP: I've taken BC on the Wolverine every time I've ridden, both to and from Chicago (my departure station is Royal Oak). I've been a solo traveler each time, and I appreciate that BC on the Wolverine has the row of single seats, much more leg room, and tends to be quieter. I always considered the free beverage just a nice bonus on top of those other things.

Granted, this was in pre-Covid times, so I can't speak to how things are right now. I'd probably still go for it anyway, though.

Back