But Did She Ever Return?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainmans daughter

OBS Chief
I am presently on #29 just west of Sandusky. This is the train that we boarded in Pittsburgh last night after a delightful bustitution from WAS. I woke up this morning to read an email from Amtrak informing me that my connection train #3 has been cancelled.

I called the number provided and was told that they couldn't re accomodate me since this was an AGR award ticket and was transferred to guest rewards. The fellow there told me he can't make changes to reservations and will have to take care of it when we get to CHI. He transferred me to Customer Relations who told me pretty much the same thing. I did get a case number to give to the people in Chicago.

What I want to know is did I do everything I can at this point? Where do I go in Chicago to get help? Is there a customer help desk, or do I go to the ticket counter?

If we are delayed by a day, it is OK, but I don't have the funds for hotel, food, etc. Does Amtrak provide for that? Also, tomorrow's westbound trains are full. Could we be in CHI for several days before a room is available?

If I were traveling alone, this wouldn't be a problem, but I have my granddaughter with me. She has an adventure's heart, but her mom panics easily so I'm trying to smooth things out before I contact her. I could easily lose my "grandma privileges".

P.S. Those of you who are my Facebook friends, don't comment on any problems till I get things straightened out. My daughter-in-law is on FB, too!

Best advice is to go to the Amtrak first class lounge and ask where to go. They did a good job of helping me last week. There is a customer relations office not far from the lounge under the stairs and ther is likely going to be a very long line.

Good luck

Stan

Amtrak is required to provide a hotel if Amtrak delays you overnight. I don't think Amtrak is required to provide food, but you should probably try to make them provide *something* if you literally don't have the money -- everyone needs to eat, and if you have a sleeper ticket, food was supposed to be provided. If you have a sleeper ticket, the Metropolitan Lounge is definitely the place to go to get everything straightened out.

If you don't have a sleeper ticket, well, during previous disruptions (the big floods a few years ago) I've seen people line up at the main information desk just before the entrance to the waiting rooms, and I've seen people line up at the ticket counters. Generally either seemed to work for simple "Where are you putting me tonight" problems. There is also the customer relations office, as noted, and during the floods people with complicated problems ("I have to reschedule three more connections and where's my luggage") were sent there.

Assuming you are in a sleeping accomodation, Amtrak will generally put you up in Chicago upon arrival. We had them to this for us after a tardy Empire Builder in late 2010 - and they placed us on the Capitol Ltd a day late in a Family Bedroom. We stayed at the Chicago South Loop (I think) hotel. It was fine, not a four star but a solid three.

The trouble is, I imagine Amtrak could be pretty close to maxed out on westbound sleeping accomodations when they do clear the Chief to run. That would be a primary concern of mine. Where is your ultimate destination? Consider that you could try to negotiate onto a different train and perhaps have your daughter in law pick you up as near as can be. For example, if you are going to California, a spot on the Zephyr could get you to Oakland, and you could perhaps take a connecting train from there to someplace near home. Likewise, the Sunset Ltd also reaches LAX, so if either of those had open spots, you could try to convince them to move you. It's worth a shot at least.

I called the number provided and was told that they couldn't re accomodate me since this was an AGR award ticket and was transferred to guest rewards. The fellow there told me he can't make changes to reservations and will have to take care of it when we get to CHI. He transferred me to Customer Relations who told me pretty much the same thing. I did get a case number to give to the people in Chicago.
I am very puzzled by someone at AGR saying that they can't make a change to your reservation.

I feel like I have read on this very board about folks (jaypea maybe?) having troubles midtrip with a late train and a connection in CHI, and calling AGR who is able to secure them sleeper space on the following day's train. They still have to generally visit the desk in CHI to get the hotel vouchers, but I think the AGR folks have been able to rebook people mid-trip before.

This is going way back into my memory, but I also think GreenManedLion was able to do something similar when he had his post titled something like "I traveled the country on a whim and prayer".

Anyone else? Bueller?

Yes, we have sleeper accomodations--a roomette.

Our destination is Chico, so any of the 3 LD trains would be fine with us. We chose the SWC because we thought that train would have the least trouble with winter weather!

So I should go to the metro lounge to be re-accommodated? I didn't know they could make or change reservations. I would have been wandering around trying to find a customer service desk. Glad you told me, Nathanael.

I think the difference here is not a late train arriving in CHI, but that her next train is cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised if Amtrak won't do anything for her based on the cancellation. :(

(I'm not saying that against Amtrak, just that the situations is different and therefore will be handled differently)

I think the difference here is not a late train arriving in CHI, but that her next train is cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised if Amtrak won't do anything for her based on the cancellation. :(

(I'm not saying that against Amtrak, just that the situations is different and therefore will be handled differently)
But the outcome is the same. But I agree that amtrak does wonky things so who knows.

I would probably call AGR again and ask specifically about potentially being re-accommodated on a different train with the hopes of getting to Chico. Who knows. As with always YMMV with amtrak/AGR and you can potentially get different answers from different agents.

I will say that I had an AGR trip for my husband booked for Thanksgiving. The train was cancelled. I got an email telling me to call a special number. I called the number and they transferred me to AGR, who put me on a different train. Now, I wasn't mid-trip, but the situation is somewhat similar in regards to AGR being able to rebook a future train.

Part of the issue in this case might be that reservations has blocked out the rooms for the next few days because of all the issues - in which case it is true that the folks in CHI will be the only ones who can help.

Yes, we have sleeper accomodations--a roomette.

Our destination is Chico, so any of the 3 LD trains would be fine with us. We chose the SWC because we thought that train would have the least trouble with winter weather!

So I should go to the metro lounge to be re-accommodated? I didn't know they could make or change reservations. I would have been wandering around trying to find a customer service desk. Glad you told me, Nathanael.
You've already been given Good Info on the Customer Service Office (next to Lounge G)@ Union Station (they will Provide your Hotel Rez Info and a Voucher for Taxi Fare and $$$ for Food which you will Cash In @ the Ticket Counter Across the Quick Track Lobby from Customer Service! AGR Will do your Re-Booking, I Too Don't Understand Why the Agent told you they can't Do anything Before You Get to CHI Unless they are just Totally Unsure What and When the LD Western Trains Will Resume Running?? It is Good that you are Flexible as to your Time Frame and Trains, as has Been Said you can ride the CZ, the SWC or the TE/Sunset (Only 3 Days a Week!) Home with Connecting Trains! Amtrak WILL provide a Hotel and Food Money and Taxi Fare for your Layover in CHI! Hopefully You Can Be Re-Booked ASAP but there are Literally Thousands of Passengers in the Same Boat so Patience and Flexibility will be Required! This Crazy Weather is Supposed to End in a Couple of Days! Please Keep us Informed and Good Luck!

Passenger Services in Chicago is located across from the ticket counter. There is a huge fountain in the middle of the ticket lobby. Not easy to miss.

When I missed my connection in Chicago in 2008, Passenger Services gave a voucher for an overnight stay at the Chicago Inn, $30 meal money voucher and $30 cab fare voucher (both of those vouchers were to be cashed in at the ticket counter.)

Amtrak, in my experiences, has been nothing short of phenomenal in accommodating me and making absolutely sure I make my destination, whether it be by a bustitution or the aforementioned stay in Chicago.

Whoo-Hoo!! I did it! After spending a good share of the day on the phone, either on hold, getting disconnected, or being passed from one rep to the next, I scored the last room available in tomorrow's SWC connecting to the CS on the 10th. This particular AGR rep was very efficient and acted like this is something he does all the time. Not like the one I talked to this morning who said it can't be done. My vouchers will be waiting for me at the ticket counter in CHI, according to Jose, my new best friend.

Thank you all for your help and advise. My hubby sends his thanks, too. I think he's tired of being a bachelor for the last 2weeks and is ready for me to be home.

Good to hear!

How's your granddaughter holding up with this latest adventure?

How are YOU holding up? :D

Granddaughter is fine. I've told her so many times that no matter what happens, Grandma and Amtrak will take care of her that she hasn't been a bit worried.

Me? I was pretty upset for awhile till I posted here and got such good advise. Then I just settled back with my phone plastered to my ear until I got what I needed.

I Too Don't Understand Why the Agent told you they can't Do anything Before You Get to CHI Unless they are just Totally Unsure What and When the LD Western Trains Will Resume Running??
Looks to me like that's exactly the problem. Amtrak seems to be playing it by ear and has no idea what trains will be running until a few hours in advance.

:cool: (No Pun Intended! ^_^ ) Please keep us Posted on the Rest of the Adventure, and Isn't It Wonderful that AU is Here to Help Each Other Out with Great Info! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
**Note to self: Get a smartphone before going on next LD or even SD train trip**

Actually, I will be getting one. Verizon changed their plans so that switching to a smartphone will cost me the same as it was costing me before (have a "family plan"). My SIL has an old iPhone (4, I think) that I can have when I'm ready. I'm just concerned about how well it will work with my bluetooth device since I wear hearing aids. I've heard that some of the older iPhones had problems.

I feel like I have read on this very board about folks (jaypea maybe?) having troubles midtrip with a late train and a connection in CHI, and calling AGR who is able to secure them sleeper space on the following day's train. They still have to generally visit the desk in CHI to get the hotel vouchers, but I think the AGR folks have been able to rebook people mid-trip before.
Amamba, that was me (late EB in December, they rebooked me automatically and I had to call AGR from the train to re-book the way I wanted it! And once I had gotten the new reservation from AGR, the attendant in the Metro Lounge was able to access it by number and print out the e-ticket for me.

I am soooo glad Trainman's Daughter was able to get an agent that could help her!

(Replying from a library computer, so I am not logged in.)

Last edited:
I have had good experiences with the CHI Customer Relations office agents at Union Station. They have helped me and gone out of their way - even with an AGR ticket - to resolve my situation. I was very satisfied!

The process of getting the voucher was pretty rugged. There were about 50-60 people waiting to get vouchers and only one agent. She was sweet, but ever so slow. Then the voucher then had to be taken to the ticket desk to be cashed. The line was almost back to the great hall, and there were only 3 people working there--one of which kept taking personal phone calls and buffing her nails.

But our hotel is awesome! I thought the taxi driver had made a mistake when he pulled up in front. 4-star hotel, 27th floor overlooking the river. Just beautiful. After our last couple of days, we are really enjoying this luxury.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Patti

Did you consider reporting the girl who was taking personal phone calls and buffing her nails? It might be worth a moment to get a demerit on her record that somebody else can add to if she keeps it up. The more we look out for and report on the kinks in the system the better the experience will be for the next customer.

I wonder what the point is of having everyone wait for a voucher only to have them wait a second time for the cash. Airlines use vouchers but you can just hand them over to the hotel or the food provider directly and they worry about cashing it in with the airline after you're on your way. That seems like a better system to me.

The process of getting the voucher was pretty rugged. There were about 50-60 people waiting to get vouchers and only one agent. She was sweet, but ever so slow. Then the voucher then had to be taken to the ticket desk to be cashed. The line was almost back to the great hall, and there were only 3 people working there--one of which kept taking personal phone calls and buffing her nails.

But our hotel is awesome! I thought the taxi driver had made a mistake when he pulled up in front. 4-star hotel, 27th floor overlooking the river. Just beautiful. After our last couple of days, we are really enjoying this luxury.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Patti
:) :) :)

If I could get the deal that Amtrak gets on some of those rooms, I wouldn't half mind spending an extra day in Chicago. Amtrak is HUGE in the Windy City. I'm sure there is a lot of back-patting and handshaking going on - but what it comes down to is that Amtrak takes care of their passengers. In Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back