Buy an AEM-7 number board (Amtrak on eBay)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's now feedback and the buyer says it is really Amtrak. Imagine that!

I wonder if and when more items will be posted? I can think of a number of parts I would like to have from one of those engines.

From the seller (AmtrakOfficial)page:

"Welcome to the official eBay account of Amtrak® (also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corporation). Amtrak is America's Railroad®, providing passenger rail service across the USA and is headquartered in Washington DC."

If it wasn't legit I imagine eBay would've taken them down after the first inquiry. Sometimes they don't even wait for that.

There's now feedback and the buyer says it is really Amtrak. Imagine that!

I wonder if and when more items will be posted? I can think of a number of parts I would like to have from one of those engines.
If you have an eBay account you can add the seller to a list of sellers you follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe Amtrak can raise enough funds by selling off the collectible parts of the AEM-7s to buy an additional Viewliner II sleeper car. ;)
Or sell off the heritage baggage cars and dining cars, piece by piece.

"Thank you for your interest. We are planning on offering other items soon, but the variety and quantity depends on a few factors. One of which is the demand. If Amtrak Fans keep bidding, we'll do our best to keep listing. Add us as a favorite seller and set your preferences to receive notifications when we post more items as to not miss out. Happy bidding! -Amtrak Matt"

The horn already has 22 bids and is at $405.00.

I suppose the horn will go nicely with the next posted item:

Amtrak AEM-7 #910 Locomotive Horn Valve, Viloco Pull Cord

I'd imagine this would fetch as much as the horn itself.

Now that they're are starting to decommission Remans, perhaps a builder's plate is in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you guys are quick! I noticed the new items in my eBay feed this morning. Boy, that horn really went up in price fast!

George K, where did you find that quote at? I was wondering if Amtrak Matt is behind these auctions. He has been on the forefront of some of Amtrak's other recent merchandise moves such as the limited edition model trains.

The AEM-7 horn is up to $1200. With 5 days to go. The normal pattern on Ebay auctions is maybe a couple of bids in the first several days of listing, then littke action until the last few minutes of the auction. The money Amtrak is getting for the first 3 items listed so far should encourage them to get serious about selling collectible items from the equipment being disposed of on Ebay.

Any parts of the Heritage baggage cars that might be worth something to collectors? Beaten up drafty doors?

This reminds me of the story of the Penn Central auction that took place in about 1972/3: They had a lot of stuff to, for lack of a better word, dump and so there was a massive auction of all sorts of railroad stuff at 30th Street Station (much of which might have been simply thrown away, but since they were operating under a bankruptcy trustee's supervision I think said trustee got out the Big Bag of No and forced them to sell whatever they could rather than trashing it).

I'm keeping a sharp watch on the strobes. Maybe I'll buy them and mount them on an ACS-64. ^_^

After a couple of test sales, Amtrak appears to be expanding the Ebay program. amtrakofficial currently has 12 items for auction, including 4 number boards and the engineer seat from AEM-7 #951. I'm curious to see what the seat will sell for. Amtrak won't ship the seat, it has to be picked up in person at DC Union Station. That will limit who might buy it, but OTOH, the buyer could use the purchase as an excuse to take Amtrak to WAS. How to get the seat home, well, that could be a challenge.

Only thing I'd buy (short of an entire locomotive) is a cab signal unit. I've wanted one for a while, but I bet it'd climb quickly out of my price range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back