Buy Points and get Bonus Points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith1951

Service Attendant
A while back on Amtrak's website I saw where I could buy so many points and get bonus points for free. Today I went there, the points were still there to purchase but the bonus points were gone. I called Amtrak but no one ever answered the phone. When I send emails, I never get a reply. Anyone know what happened to the bonus points?

Thanks. Im sure going to watch the site because our trip is next year, and those bonus points will save us a little money. Hopefully they have this promo from time to time.
They do, but be aware that buying Points isn't such a Great Deal anymore with Points devalued and Didcounts not be available for the Rail Fare Portion of your Fare..

Buying just enough to supplement your Total for a Trip that you lack enough Points for is OK.

You will generally come out better by Paying Cash for your LD Trips ,( and don't waste Points on Coach) for which you'll receive Double Points!

They do, but be aware that buying Points isn't such a Great Deal anymore with Points devalued and Didcounts not be available for the Rail Fare Portion of your Fare..

Buying just enough to supplement your Total for a Trip that you lack enough Points for is OK.

You will generally come out better by Paying Cash for your LD Trips ,( and don't waste Points on Coach) for which you'll receive Double Points!
Thank you. Thats what I'm doing, buying just enough to cover the rest of a trip. But if I wait till the bonus offer comes back, I won't have to pay as much.

I have mixed feelings about purchasing points. A point redemption should be worth 2.7 cents but that is a variable. If you buy points even on special deals its hard to achieve better than that value. In small quantities at standard cost you will pay over 3 cents each and when you use them you might get 2.5 cents in value. Right now I just take what the AGR card offers unless a few extra points are needed to book a trip.

Yes, I
I have mixed feelings about purchasing points. A point redemption should be worth 2.7 cents but that is a variable. If you buy points even on special deals its hard to achieve better than that value. In small quantities at standard cost you will pay over 3 cents each and when you use them you might get 2.5 cents in value. Right now I just take what the AGR card offers unless a few extra points are needed to book a trip.
Yes, I just need a few extra points for my trip. The only time I do buy points is when they have that promo where you buy 1000, you get another 500 free., a 50% extra promotion. That promo was on the website a few months ago but now its gone. I was just wondering if and when it returns. Because my trip isnt till the fall of 2023, so Im hoping they will have that promotion by then.

Just noticed that Amtrak now has a "points sale" until Dec 31st and is offering a 30% bonus on purchases. I did the math and the price of the points comes out for more than you can redeem them for. Amtrak charges points towards a ticket at .02667. If you buy them even with the 30% bonus you are paying .031 at the highest quantity and up to .0377 for the lowest quantity purchased. Quite simply it pays to buy for cash and not points to get the most for your money. I really do not understand why Amtrak sells points as you can always use any points earned on purchases plus cash. Buying points is not a good deal.

Just noticed that Amtrak now has a "points sale" until Dec 31st and is offering a 30% bonus on purchases. I did the math and the price of the points comes out for more than you can redeem them for. Amtrak charges points towards a ticket at .02667. If you buy them even with the 30% bonus you are paying .031 at the highest quantity and up to .0377 for the lowest quantity purchased. Quite simply it pays to buy for cash and not points to get the most for your money. I really do not understand why Amtrak sells points as you can always use any points earned on purchases plus cash. Buying points is not a good deal.
I thought Amtrak didn't allow points and cash to be combined for a single ticket.

I am likely not buying points that cost more than they are worth but I might buy points that are worth more than they cost. That may not sound like a money maker for Amtrak but it could be if I buy the points and never use them, which is always a possibility.

Back