Bye Bye Express Shipping and Amtrak Freight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Amtrak President David L. Gunn says he has developed a fiscal 2003 budget that calls for more personnel cuts, an end to freight service and an eventual end to state-subsidized trains unless the states agree to cover all of their operating losses.
For full article, click here.

I guess that might help delays a little, it still may take some time to add the mail cars. I hear of many travelers who are delayed in the yard picking up cars in the yard (particularly chicago), so I guess we can expect fewer and shorter delays.

I'm going to miss it if it goes. I kinda like seeing those roadrailers and express box cars on the train(they made it longer).

It just that I like seeing long passenger trains. If there were passenger cars put in the place on the express boxcars and roadrailers that be all right too, but I guess I grown to like the express and roadrailers. They make trains like 3 and 4 quite a sight to see.

I wont miss them. The best part of having a sleeper on 3 or 4 was stanindg in the last car and watching the track. As far as im concerned, this is almost better than sex! lol.

I know that at times the sleepers are in the front on 3 and 4, but if the roadrailers are gone, I bet you that they will go to the back where they belong.

hello

Maybe this will help amtrak be on better terms with the railroads. since Amtrak wont be in competition with them. Also would the road railer fleet be used for Mail now?

john

Well If this service was not cost effective why was it not dropped earlier and instead introduced new passenger routes instead

Guy

With Amtrak dropping their express service the question is will NJT buy it use it on their NEC service, since Warrington is now in charge over there and all :)

last one was me...someone erased the cookies off this machine and I had actually had to login :angry:

What would NJT do with it, currently its New York to Trenton, with plans to take over clocker service in 2006 (extending it to philadelphia).

Due to Amtrak's financial situation, very little equipment has been "bought".

Most of Amtrak's equipment was purchased as "leased buy-backs."

Amtrak orginally wanted EMD locos but no one would provide financing to a failing company. GE came up with the idea of leasing the locos, with a small part of the payment applied to the principal. That's why we still have an active warranty program on the P-42's.

The Talgos have a 10 yr maintenance contract with company techs. The Acela has a 10 yr contract with Alstom and Bombardier, but I think this will be renegotiated with the pending lawsuit.

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back