CA DOT Highway Webcams

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover

Conductor
I like to look at the CA DOT webcams for I-80 when there are snowstorms forecasted for the Sierras.
Sometimes some of the cameras are "Temporarily Unavailable" and other times some of the cameras are covered over with ice.

But tonight, when I tried looking at a number of cameras, I got the initial thumbnail image, but when I pressed "play," I got a message I have never seen with them before: "The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported."

I'm hoping that they still work with the Firebox browser.
Here's a link to I-80 at Soda Springs at Kingvale as an example:

https://cwwp2.dot.ca.gov/vm/loc/d3/hwy80atkingvalewb.htm
CA DOT.JPG

Checking them right now - it's impressive how much snow there is and how much is still falling. Noticed on the linked cam above there was no eastbound traffic and on one slightly further west there appeared to be a big accident or something holding up traffic.

Edit: looks like it's breaking up or is a stop where chains are being required after this point?

Checking them right now - it's impressive how much snow there is and how much is still falling. Noticed on the linked cam above there was no eastbound traffic and on one slightly further west there appeared to be a big accident or something holding up traffic.

Edit: looks like it's breaking up or is a stop where chains are being required after this point?

I took a look at 2010 hours ET, or 1710 hrs. PT. I was still a bit light out. I was surprised at the traffic, considering how heavy the snow cover is. I wouldn't like to be driving over that stuff, I think I'd try to hole up somewhere until the plows can make a pass or two.

I took a look at 2010 hours ET, or 1710 hrs. PT. I was still a bit light out. I was surprised at the traffic, considering how heavy the snow cover is. I wouldn't like to be driving over that stuff, I think I'd try to hole up somewhere until the plows can make a pass or two.
Talked with my Brother who lives in Sonoma. They were planning a trip to Tahoe in their new Subaru EV ( 4 Wheel Drive)but decided to stay home due to the Mess on the Highways being shown/discussed in this thread.

I saw that there is another crazy snow heavy storm hitting CA right now (people seem to think Chicago got hit, we didn't, even though Minnesota got a bit of snow) to the point that Mount Baldy ski area north of LA had to shut down they had so much snow!

...Mount Baldy ski area north of LA had to shut down they had so much snow!

Yes, the Los Angeles office of the National Weather Service issued a blizzard warning for the second time ever (the first time was 1989). It only applies to the mountains, though - I'm at a lower elevation where it's 50 degrees, so I'm only getting rain.

Back