Keystone Corridor discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going on the Keystone from Elizabethtown to Philadelphia on Train 600 in May (on a Friday). My parents are going on the following day (Saturday) on 660 from/to the same stations. I understand they are running busses between Lancaster and Harrisburg between April and November due to a track project. From what I read, we SHOULD be okay going to Philadelphia. Coming back to Elizabethtown will be a different story. We will be coming back on a Tuesday in later May on Train 645. What do we need to know about this? What kind of buses do they use? We will have suitcases.

Congrats on being one of the 450 affected Daily passengers! As I understand it standard intercity coach bus service will be provided from LNC-HAR and all intermediate stations. Amtrak personnel will “theoretically” assist with the transfer. At the least the conductors will make an announcement with instructions. I presume bags will be accommodated.

As to how to deal with it, train 43 leaves PHL 50 minutes earlier than 645. 609 leaves an hour later and should also run entirely as train service. If you could, I would call 1-800-USA-RAIL and see about jumping on either of those trains. Truthfully, I doubt there would be much difference in your arrival time if you took 609 given the time it will take to make the transfer, get on 283, stop at Mount Joy, get back on 283…

Your fare for 645 should be good for 609 given the Keystone is an UNRESERVED service, ie no formal change in your itinerary would be required

I am going on the Keystone from Elizabethtown to Philadelphia on Train 600 in May (on a Friday). My parents are going on the following day (Saturday) on 660 from/to the same stations. I understand they are running busses between Lancaster and Harrisburg between April and November due to a track project. From what I read, we SHOULD be okay going to Philadelphia. Coming back to Elizabethtown will be a different story. We will be coming back on a Tuesday in later May on Train 645. What do we need to know about this? What kind of buses do they use? We will have suitcases.
Train 600 is unaffected by the track work.

As for what to expect, I wish I could give you an answer. T&E crews in Philly and especially Harrisburg are anxiously awaiting answers on what to expect. Once I have an answer on what to expect that I can make public I will gladly post.

Train 600 is unaffected by the track work.

As for what to expect, I wish I could give you an answer. T&E crews in Philly and especially Harrisburg are anxiously awaiting answers on what to expect. Once I have an answer on what to expect that I can make public I will gladly post.
Thanks for the advice. Here’s what we’re doing: we’re taking the Pennsylvanian (43) for the trip back to Elizabethtown since 645 does indeed stop at Lancaster and we’d have to take a bus for the remainder of the trip and lug the luggage off the train and on/off the bus. I called the dedicated AGR phone number and asked them all my questions. Trains 600 and 660 are unaffected. One question: Can we check baggage to Elizabethtown from Philadelphia? I know the Pennsylvanian has a baggage car…

Thanks for the advice. Here’s what we’re doing: we’re taking the Pennsylvanian (43) for the trip back to Elizabethtown since 645 does indeed stop at Lancaster and we’d have to take a bus for the remainder of the trip and lug the luggage off the train and on/off the bus. I called the dedicated AGR phone number and asked them all my questions. Trains 600 and 660 are unaffected. One question: Can we check baggage to Elizabethtown from Philadelphia? I know the Pennsylvanian has a baggage car…
No. We don’t have checked bags on or off at Etown as it’s not a staffed station.

Should you want to check bags, check them to Lancaster where they can get them off.

"between Pittsburgh and New York City will still provide daily midday service through the project area, featuring additional seating capacity."

What will that mean - another coach (+72 seats) or replace the 4-Am-2 coaches with 4 Am-1 coaches (+48 seats) ?
I'm sure that they will need to add some more coaches to the Pennsylvanian to accommodate the Keystone passengers if needed. I know that at times, the Pennsylvanian can become pretty crowded around that area. I plan on watching the railcams around the start of that time to see what ends up being planned.

I'm sure that they will need to add some more coaches to the Pennsylvanian to accommodate the Keystone passengers if needed. I know that at times, the Pennsylvanian can become pretty crowded around that area. I plan on watching the railcams around the start of that time to see what ends up being planned.
The plan is to add cars.

Back