Cafe Car seating open?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode ALX-NPN round-trip over the weekend and the cafe was open for seating both directions. ALX-NPN had every other table blocked, NPN-ALX did not have any tables blocked.

My wife did note the food options were extremely limited - I think Pizza, Hamburgers, and only one or two other items.

Surfliner Cafe seating was closed a month ago, I believe full or nearly-full menu.

I rode ALX-NPN round-trip over the weekend and the cafe was open for seating both directions. ALX-NPN had every other table blocked, NPN-ALX did not have any tables blocked.

My wife did note the food options were extremely limited - I think Pizza, Hamburgers, and only one or two other items.
That’s great news, was waiting for the seating to open to make any long trips

I still believe that the cafe table sitting in lower level Superliner Sightseer Lounges are still closed as long and "communal" dining is not allowed. Upstairs tables and chairs are open and tables mays be limited to provide social distancing as long as mask requirement stay in place.

I'm trying to find this out for the Southwest Chief and Capitol Limited as well. When I find out anything, I'll report back.

Southwest Chief would have the full upstairs of the sightseer lounge car open. Perhaps some seats blocked up for distancing but some seats open for sure.

The Capitol has a single “cross country cafe” style car so it would not have seating for coach passengers, only takeout.

That is what should be available in theory.

Southwest Chief would have the full upstairs of the sightseer lounge car open. Perhaps some seats blocked up for distancing but some seats open for sure.

The Capitol has a single “cross country cafe” style car so it would not have seating for coach passengers, only takeout.

That is what should be available in theory.

Thank you!

I just confirmed this with Amtrak on the phone (Loooooong wait time.) She said she didn't see a dining car connected to any trains until July 1st. Part of the delay she said is getting the Amtrak staff back on board working again. Too late for my trip but hopefully this helps someone.

Anyone know if cafe car seating is open on the Missouri River Runner or Illinois Lincoln Service trains? Pre-pandemic, they'd typically let us hang out at a table indefinitely to play cards or whatever. Since then I've only taken LD trains with Sightseer Lounges but haven't been on any of the commuter trains.

How many of the tables were actually open for passengers as opposed to crew?

It looked like people were only sitting in the front half of the car, I didn’t see anyone sitting in the rear half except crew though

Back