Calif Zephyr Arrival in Calif vs Departure Next Morning Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruisegary

Train Attendant
I get that trains get delayed and will live with that. CZ is scheduled to leave heading eastbound at 9:10am. I assume the actual equipment for that trip is the westbound #5 that arrives at 4:10pm the day before. So, a pretty good amount of time for the turn.

Looking at the last week or so, the train leaving in the morning is often late leaving. What causes the late departure? Crew time? Service does not happen until next morning? We are taking this on Sunday the 11th.

8/8 Ar: 3 hr, 12 min late. next day Dp: 3 hr, 45 min late.
8/7 Ar: 7 hr, 45 min late. next day Dp: 10 min late.
8/6 Ar: 4 hr, 27 min late. next day Dp: 2 hr, 54 min late.
8/5 Ar: 9 hr, 6 min late. next day Dp: On time.
8/4 Ar: 22 min late. next day Dp: 3 hr, 5 min late.
8/3 Ar: 6 hr, 30 min late. next day Dp: 1 min late.
8/2 Ar: 46 min late. next day Dp: 6 min late.
8/1 Ar: 1 hr, 53 min late. next day Dp: 33 min late.
7/31 Ar: 4 hr, 56 min late. next day Dp: 2 hr, 6 min late.
7/30 Ar: 19 min late. next day Dp: 4 min late.
7/29 Ar: 1 hr, 16 min late. next day Dp: On time.
7/28 Ar: 3 hr, 45 min late. next day Dp: 6 min late.
7/27 Ar: 5 hr, 58 min late. next day Dp: 22 min late.

I have been following this to. From what I understand crew time is probably the cause of some of the late departures. I think on some of those scenarios in your list Amtrak provided a replacement crew.

Am I making a correct assumption that the train gets into Emeryville and sits there until it leaves at 9:10am the next day?

We are staying Sat night at the Hyatt House across the tracks, so should see it sitting there. Maybe on a side track?

Also.... if it is leaving late, I assume they do not let anyone board until near the eventual departure time.

Am I making a correct assumption that the train gets into Emeryville and sits there until it leaves at 9:10am the next day?

We are staying Sat night at the Hyatt House across the tracks, so should see it sitting there. Maybe on a side track?

Also.... if it is leaving late, I assume they do not let anyone board until near the eventual departure time.

As AmtrakBlue noted, it goes to the yard in Oakland for servicing. On departure in the morning, the train pulls out of the yard straight to Emeryville station. So, if it’s late, it won’t even be in the station for you to board. When the train does pull out of the yard and get to the station, it’s ready to board right away.

Soon as it rolls into the Station,whatever the time, they begin boarding.

The Agents will give those that require assistance help boarding, even giving rides to the front of the Train since the Engines are a distance from the Station.

I have never been in Emeryville for an on-time departure of No. 6. How long before a normal departure is the train usually brought up from Oakland?

usually #6 is brought into Emeryville station 15-20 minutes. Well over 50% of my 20+ departures on #6 have left on time. Only one was several hours late, and I received a text from Amtrak alerting me several hours beforehand.

#5 leaves Emeryville station for the West Oakland service yard as soon as all passengers and baggage have been unloaded.

Make sure you are in the station before the train arrives and pay attention to the announcements. This “veteran” railman ignored an announcement to go to the platform before arrival of the SB Starlight. I just had to whip one more azz in Madden Overdrive. Then this urge to get to the platform prompted me to get moving. I hustled our just as the conductor was preparing to highball. The door to my sleeping car was closed. I damn near missed the train sitting in the station. So based on my experience get there early and pay careful attention to announcements.

Why was Emeryville chosen vs Jack London? San Joaquin's terminate at Jack London and the CS is restocked and serviced at Jack London. What was the reason for splitting off CZ to Emeryville?

Easier and faster access to San Francisco. According to others on this board, Emeryville, Jack London Square and the Oakland yard are effectively one big complex.

Why was Emeryville chosen vs Jack London? San Joaquin's terminate at Jack London and the CS is restocked and serviced at Jack London. What was the reason for splitting off CZ to Emeryville?

As the line from Jack Square back to the yard is street running, it was determined that it was unsafe to shove the train backwards down the street due to its length which is why it stops at Emeryville.

Personally I fail to see why they cant top and tail the CZ and run it to Jack Square so passengers can transfer to the ferries easily rather than getting that damn awful amtrak motor coach over the bridge or send a shunter out from the yard to drag the train back in.

As the line from Jack Square back to the yard is street running, it was determined that it was unsafe to shove the train backwards down the street due to its length which is why it stops at Emeryville.

Personally I fail to see why they cant top and tail the CZ and run it to Jack Square so passengers can transfer to the ferries easily rather than getting that damn awful amtrak motor coach over the bridge or send a shunter out from the yard to drag the train back in.

Ferry only goes to the waterfront. Busses go to serveral stops around San Francisco inland from water's edge.

When they go to Oakland, they also have to go through the street. That means two times a day they have to reverse a 7+ car long consist through the middle of the street. It's much easier for them to just terminate at Emeryville, which is also a tad bit closer to SF, and be able to just continue moving forward to pull into the yard.

Personally I would rather them go to Jack London too, but Amtrak is Amtrak. It would be nice if it went all the way to San Jose too

Back