California Starlight sold my roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyguy

Train Attendant
(Without going into the boring details of why) my wife and I changed our plans from boarding the #14 train in Oakland to meet my traveling companions that would have boarded earlier in San Jose. Instead we went to San Jose to board it with them. It became easier just to purchase two pairs of coach tix to Oakland from San Jose and see if the conductor would let us board the sleeper out roomettes were in. As it turned out it would be just Jim Dandy for my companions but it appears that our roomette was sold to a lady that boarded it earlier in Santa Cruz.

We booked our trip in June but this lady only recently booked the room. Ticketing at Amtrak, in my experience, has always been a bit dodgey

It happens. Why, neither Conductor Tim nor I could figure out. But since the train was not full, they moved us up two cars and for adjacent roomettes.

An Observation:

We were originally assigned roomettes 5 & 6 but because of the kaffuffle we were given 9 & 10. Too bad, too, since they are next to the constantly opening and closing connecting train doors, the roomette was a bit noisy . Next time we travel (and there will be a next time, I assure you), I'll make sure to ask specifically for mid-train roomettes, or rooms for that matter.

It was a real treat to see and use the Parlour Car. What fun. A great location to spark up conversations and have a meal break from the dining room. The Wi-Fi never really worked for me, others were using it but I just marched out to the stations where we had a longer wait and latched on to the Station's link. Blipverts to the kits.

I prefer the roomettes on the LSL to these ones. The CS ones have no window for the top bunk and the storage spaces are more and larger on the LSL. The hand basin and the potty are nice touches, too.

Take Care: Enjoy the Journey

it appears that our roomette was sold to a lady that boarded it earlier in Santa Cruz.

We booked our trip in June but this lady only recently booked the room. Ticketing at Amtrak, in my experience, has always been a bit dodgey
It is normal for Amtrak to sell the same roomette for multiple city pairs that do not overlap. In this case "Santa Cruz" to Oakland and Oakland to wherever you were going. There was no dodgy Amtrak ticketing, just business as usual. This type of multiple booking for the same roomette allows Amtrak to maximize ticket revenue on a single train. If you would have boarded where your sleeping car ticket originated, the Sleeping Car attendant would have asked you to wait in the hallway or the PPC while they clean the room from the previous passenger.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. The Santa Cruz pax was going all the way to Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back