California university decides to shut down historic railroad for good

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"After burning to the ground in the 2020 CZU Lightning Complex wildfire, attempts to restore a historic railroad in Santa Cruz County have failed — and it will be shuttered for good."
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/california-university-shuts-down-railroad-17632879.phpThis is actually very sad news. Everyone knew and admired this railroad. I go to rutgers university, you can read about it here if you want. Thank God this tragedy didn't come to us. I watched the news on 24-7 and so did many of my friends. I don't know about people who live in that region. It's incredibly hard for them.
The news is not the best... rip :oops:

Last edited:
Without seeing the language of the bequest, I still am wondering how the university can re-purpose the land for uses not within the wishes of the testator. Maybe the cost to restore the railroad gives the university an out?

Even if it is legal to do so, such behavior would give me pause before making a bequest to that institution. Not that I have the means or the desire to do so! But some do, and might blanch at the thought that a gift, say to provide need-based scholarships, could be used, say, to remodel the president's office instead.

Back