California Zephyr: consist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be in SLC for a few days and instead of flying back east, I'm contemplating taking CZ to RIC then BART to either SFO or OAK. Train is currently at 30%, so I'm hoping I'll have my choice of roomettes when I call. Going west is it more scenic out the north side or south side of the car? Or does it really matter?
South side gets you good views of the Truckee River and Donner Lake but north side gets you the best views in Glenwood Canyon (which if before where you’d be boarding).

I have a roomette reservation on Train 5 from Chicago to Emeryville in early February in car 532. Expected to have been in car 530- or 531. Does having a car 532 mean that there will be a transdorm and two sleepers, or what?

Car 532 should be a normal sleeper. If it was numbered 540, then it could be a real trans dorm car, or on our CZ lately they were using normal sleepers as the trans dorm instead of a real trans dorm.

Car 532 should be a normal sleeper. If it was numbered 540, then it could be a real trans dorm car, or on our CZ lately they were using normal sleepers as the trans dorm instead of a real trans dorm.
Yeah, they've been doing that on some consists of the Builder, too.

532 will be a normal sleeper, assuming it runs, which is not a good assumption these days. 540 is the car line of the dormitory, whether or not it'll be a transdorm is a bit of snapshot these days.

The 31 car line, not the usual 30, is the "base" sleeper on the CZ. The CZ normally doesn't run a 30 car.

I took the CZ from DEN to EMY on Saturday the 20th. The consist was 2 engines, baggage car, transdorm, 2 sleepers (a Superliner I and Superliner II), dining car, observation car, and two coaches. We were in a right-side roomette (car 531 room 3) and were treated to some amazing scenery. Oh, and watch for the white water rafters on the Colorado river; they are fond of giving what we refer to as the "California Zephyr Salute"! 😄
This is the car I am booked in for an upcoming trip. Is it a Superliner 1 or 2?

Back