California Zephyr (CZ) question - Newbie!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, going from Chicago to Sacramento. Have a roomette. My ticket says the following: Train 5 - Car 531 - Room **. I'm trying to figure out where the car is in line and where the room is in the car. When I see a layout, I do not know if it's the CZ. Thanks for your help anyone/everyone!

Last edited:
Hi, going from Chicago to Sacramento May 24-26, 2022. Have a roomette. My ticket says the following: Train 5 - Car 531 - Room **. I'm trying to figure out where the car is in line and where the room is in the car. When I see a layout, I do not know if it's the CZ. Thanks for your help anyone/everyone!
All Revenue Superliners Sleepers( not including the Deluxe Sleeper on the Auto Train) have the same layout, so if you've seen a Floorplan you know where your Room will be.( Roomettes #11-#14 are Downstairs as is the Family Bedroom and the H Bedroom/ Roomettes #1-#10 are upstairs ( the SCA occupies #1l) as are Bedrooms A-E.

Since the Zephyr is currently running most days with 2 Sleepers, #531 will be the Sleeper closest to the Diner.

Last edited:
All Revenue Superliners Sleepers( not including the Deluxe Sleeper on the Auto Train) have the same layout, so if you've seen a Floorplan you know where your Room will be.( Roomettes #11-#14 are Downstairs as is the Family Bedroom and the H Bedroom/ Roomettes #1-#10 are upstairs ( the SCA occupies #1l) as are Bedrooms A-E.

Since the Zephyr is currently running most days with 2 Sleepers, #531 will be the Sleeper closest to the Diner.
Thank you!

Here are the car diagrams. You can see where you are once in the car...you are in a Superliner Sleeper.
https://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html
Thank you!

Thank you!

The CZ is considered by many to be the most scenic of Amtrak's LD trains. Plus it has Traditional Dining! I'm sure you will have a great trip.
Thank you!

Let us know what you thought about your trip. I have one planned on the CZ for late August. Since they can't guarantee which side of the train your roomette will be on (right side is the North side, left side is the South side), I'm curious which side you ended up in. You can take in the sights, and pics/videos with less glare in your roommate (curtain behind the camera) or in the observation car. But the Observation car will fill up fast when the train leaves Denver and climbs through the Rockies!

Let us know what you thought about your trip. I have one planned on the CZ for late August. Since they can't guarantee which side of the train your roomette will be on (right side is the North side, left side is the South side), I'm curious which side you ended up in. You can take in the sights, and pics/videos with less glare in your roommate (curtain behind the camera) or in the observation car. But the Observation car will fill up fast when the train leaves Denver and climbs through the Rockies!
While in Denver head to the Sightseer Car. It begins filling up when the train starts moving.

I am glad that the original poster has a roomette. I have heard that sometimes the conductor will enforce a two-hour max stay in the Sightseer car, in which case they can still enjoy the view from the roomette. But i have heard that the enforcement of the two-hour limit varies.

I am glad that the original poster has a roomette. I have heard that sometimes the conductor will enforce a two-hour max stay in the Sightseer car, in which case they can still enjoy the view from the roomette. But i have heard that the enforcement of the two-hour limit varies.
Probably depends both on the conductor and on the load.

It's been a while, but I have never in many dozens of Superliner trips seen anyone ejected for overstaying in the SSL. Drunk, loud, playing music or all three, yes. And in any case, two hours is really plenty in most cases. I don't think I've ever sat in a SSL more than three hours. Dome cars on the VIA Canadian are another story. They had to pry me out for the amazing meals. Especially since they bring free drink samples and snacks to you in the Dome.

And the view from the coach window seats isn't bad on scenic trips. Especially if you have a friend sitting next to you or an empty seat.

Two weeks ago on the CZ, the conductor started a waiting list for the SSL when we left Denver. He seemed very vigilant in enforcing the two hour limit and calling people by number from the waiting list as time went by. Our train was very full until Glenwood Springs where a lot of daytrippers got off (it was the week of spring break).

Two weeks ago on the CZ, the conductor started a waiting list for the SSL when we left Denver. He seemed very vigilant in enforcing the two hour limit and calling people by number from the waiting list as time went by. Our train was very full until Glenwood Springs where a lot of daytrippers got off (it was the week of spring break).
I've heard announcements by Conductors about sharing the Lounges, but in my 50+ Years of riding Amtrak I've never heard of a Waiting List for Lounge Seats before!

Good on the Conductor!👍

I've heard announcements by Conductors about sharing the Lounges, but in my 50+ Years of riding Amtrak I've never heard of a Waiting List for Lounge Seats before!

Good on the Conductor!👍

Like you, I have heard announcements by Conductors and never had to deal with a waiting list. I don't agree with a Conductor making a list. First come, first served and the money that I paid for that seat in the SSL is as good as others. Be patient, seat waiters: Mother Nature will eventually cause me to leave my seat and respond to the call.

Back