California Zephyr discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Now I dont know what to do.
Call Amtrak (or preferably AGR) and see if you can get moved into the 31 car or the 40 car (transdorm).

Try and book 8 roomettes single occupancy for 8 people, not just 4 roomettes. If you can book 8, that means there is plenty of inventory and, coupled with a QR code on your reservation in the app, would mean 532 is still set to run. That doesn't mean they won't change their minds, so I'd still try to get moved.

Call Amtrak (or preferably AGR) and see if you can get moved into the 31 car or the 40 car (transdorm).

Try and book 8 roomettes single occupancy for 8 people, not just 4 roomettes. If you can book 8, that means there is plenty of inventory and, coupled with a QR code on your reservation in the app, would mean 532 is still set to run. That doesn't mean they won't change their minds, so I'd still try to get moved.
So, I called AGR and was on hold for 50 minutes. I finally got through and asked to change rooms. The agent told me there would be a higher fare to go to Car 531 #12 or Car 540. I told him why I wanted to change and he said not to worry I would get a refund if that happened. But, I didnt want my trip cancelled at the last minute. I asked him to check how much the higher fare would be. When he came back he said that it wasnt higher. It would be the same price. So he moved us to 531 Room 12. I hope this is good.

So, I called AGR and was on hold for 50 minutes. I finally got through and asked to change rooms. The agent told me there would be a higher fare to go to Car 531 #12 or Car 540. I told him why I wanted to change and he said not to worry I would get a refund if that happened. But, I didnt want my trip cancelled at the last minute. I asked him to check how much the higher fare would be. When he came back he said that it wasnt higher. It would be the same price. So he moved us to 531 Room 12. I hope this is good.
That is fine, it is downstairs though.

A room change should not result in a higher fare. However, it takes a skilled agent with good knowledge of the system to hold a price. If a less experienced agent tries it the "easy" way, it just pulls it up at current bucket.

Glad you got in 31. I am surprised that a AGR agent didn't know enough to hold the price for a room change, AGR usually has the best, most experienced agents.

Never accept a fare increase for a room change. That is not policy and not necessary, but it takes good knowledge of the reservation system to do. If an agent insists there is one, either request a supervisor or call back and hope for another agent in "agent roulette".

That is fine, it is downstairs though.

A room change should not result in a higher fare. However, it takes a skilled agent with good knowledge of the system to hold a price. If a less experienced agent tries it the "easy" way, it just pulls it up at current bucket.

Glad you got in 31. I am surprised that a AGR agent didn't know enough to hold the price for a room change, AGR usually has the best, most experienced agents.

Never accept a fare increase for a room change. That is not policy and not necessary, but it takes good knowledge of the reservation system to do. If an agent insists there is one, either request a supervisor or call back and hope for another agent in "agent roulette".
Thanks for your advice. It's our first trip so not sure about anything. I did look it up and see that the room is downstairs but just happy I got moved and know that it wont be cancelled.

Thanks for your advice. It's our first trip so not sure about anything. I did look it up and see that the room is downstairs but just happy I got moved and know that it wont be cancelled.

I actually prefer the downstairs roomettes. Hopefully you will too. The halls in front of your room will be less busy with traffic. I didn't find that the lower level views were significantly worse. There is less work to get off the train for fresh air breaks. And if you want, you can clean your own window (for better pictures) on one of the stops if you're so inclined. The shower and multiple bathroom choices are just down the hall instead of down steps. The only down side is the need to go up/down stairs in order to get to the dining and observation cars and to get morning coffee. Not a big deal for me, but if you have any mobility issues, then perhaps an issue.

If you'd rather be upstairs I'd hold on to what you have for now as its in the base sleeper (the downstairs in 531) but watch to see if the 532 car comes back. Based on some quick random searches on the website there appears to be a large increase in available sleeper inventory right after New Years (before New Years every date I checked is either sold out or super high roomette buckets but after new years I see lots of availability including multiple days with bedrooms and even family bedrooms open.) This likely means the 532 is scheduled in inventory either right before Christmas for holiday demand or right after New Years when they typically do their post holiday winter consist shuffling. Given you had a 532 res for late January and the seemingly increase in inventory it's likely slated to come back either before Christmas or right after the holiday period ends so that's probably the time to watch for it. We'll likely know soon if they're going to drop the car for January due to equipment/staffing being unable to cover it if we start seeing people complain about getting downgraded for the winter months - it'll happen soon if the car is still in the reservation system for part of January. If the 532 car does show up in the consist sometime between now and the end of the first week in January and remains in the consist after that first week then it's likely really back and you could always ask to switch to an upper level roomette in 532 closer to your trip once you know it actually exists (if any are still open.)

Last edited:
I have another question and this might not be the right forum for it. After we arrive in EMY on a Sunday we had planned on staying in SF for 2 or 3 nights before flying home from SFO. I wondered if we should stay the first night in Emeryville but now I have found out from another forum that if I change my ticket from EMY to SF there is a shuttle bus? If there is, where does the shuttle bus go to? Looking at staying in the Union Square area depending on hotel prices.

I have another question and this might not be the right forum for it. After we arrive in EMY on a Sunday we had planned on staying in SF for 2 or 3 nights before flying home from SFO. I wondered if we should stay the first night in Emeryville but now I have found out from another forum that if I change my ticket from EMY to SF there is a shuttle bus? If there is, where does the shuttle bus go to? Looking at staying in the Union Square area depending on hotel prices.
It's not a shuttle bus, it's a Thruway motor coach. It only makes one stop, and that's out on the street at 555 Mission Street. It's about a half mile walk to Union Square. I don't know whether or not that's considered a safe walk after dark.

1670975163440.png

It's not a shuttle bus, it's a Thruway motor coach. It only makes one stop, and that's out on the street at 555 Mission Street. It's about a half mile walk to Union Square. I don't know whether or not that's considered a safe walk after dark.

View attachment 30653
With the current status of the Streets in The City, and the Weather( Cold and Damp @ Night), highly recommended that you take a Cab or Ride Share for this trip to your Hotel from the drop off Spot, otherwise stay in Eneryville the First night as was said, and then Cross the Bay Bridge in Daylight!

It's not a shuttle bus, it's a Thruway motor coach.
Which is a bus, that shuttles you a short distance from Emeryville to SF.

I personally think the pedestrian overpass from Emeryville Station to the Hyatt is a bit creepy after dark but I've made the trip and survived. This summer I missed the ferry to Oakland and took the BART train and walked several blocks to Oakland station to catch the Starlight.... now THAT was a sketchy walk.

Okay, another question. I know you will be tired of me. After our stay in SF ,we are thinking since we have went this far, we might continue on from EMY to SanDiego. Then fly home from there. I think I should have been planning this a few months ago. Any advice before I book. It looks like about a 7 hour trip on the Pacific Surfliner

Okay, another question. I know you will be tired of me. After our stay in SF ,we are thinking since we have went this far, we might continue on from EMY to SanDiego. Then fly home from there. I think I should have been planning this a few months ago. Any advice before I book. It looks like about a 7 hour trip on the Pacific Surfliner
I am confused. No Pacific Surfliner runs from EMY. Their northernmost terminus is San Louis Obispo.

If you take the Coast Starlight south from EMY and then change to a Surfliner at LAX to San Diego that trip takes more like 17 hours.

If you are willing to include a longish bus ride (Bakersfield to LAX) on the way you can do it in as little as 12 hours or so. For that you head out of EMY on a San Joaquin to Bakersfield, change there to a Thruway Bus to LAX, where you catch a Surfliner to San Diego. Of course these days with track closure near Oceanside, there will be another bus bridge involved there.

Last edited:
I am confused. No Pacific Surfliner runs from EMY. Their northernmost terminus is San Louis Obispo.

If you take the Coast Starlight south from EMY and then change to a Surfliner at LAX to San Diego that trip takes more like 17 hours.
hmm okay. Guess i need to do some more research. Thanks for your help

The #6 I was on last Monday had a waterfall coming through the lounge windows. I wonder if that car (33003) got taken out of service for a day or two for repairs.

Last edited:
I’ve taken this train many times.

1. I’m also on the downstairs team…just for the bathrooms. so many there as opposed to the upstairs single one.
2. Since the train arrives late in Emeryville…even if on time, the Ambus dumps you in the middle of downtown San Fransisco where there is nothing going on at that hour. You are going to have a 2 to 3 block walk to the nearest hotel or call a cab (don‘t) or an Uber (do) to get there anyway
3. My plan is to always walk across the bridge across the tracks to the Hyatt House which is reasonably priced (well…in Bay area terms) , spend the night, have a good breakfast (which the hotel provides) and make my way into the City in the morning.
4. There are various ways to do that…Uber across the Bay Bridge, Bus, Bart, or my favorite, ferry across the Bay. Can’t beat that!
5. You can indeed do all these except The ferry the night you arrive but then it’s late night and indeed kind of sketchy.
6. the bridge across the tracks consists of a verry slow elevator up and then down, not the cleanest but I’ve never seen anything problematic either

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve taken this train many times.

1. I’m also on the downstairs team…just for the bathrooms. so many there as opposed to the upstairs single one.
2. Since the train arrives late in Emeryville…even if on time, the Ambus dumps you in the middle of downtown San Fransisco where there is nothing going on at that hour. You are going to have a 2 to 3 block walk to the nearest hotel or call a cab (don‘t) or an Uber (do) to get there anyway
3. My plan is to always walk across the bridge across the tracks to the Hyatt House which is reasonably priced (well…in Bay area terms) , spend the night, have a good breakfast (which the hotel provides) and make my way into the City in the morning.
4. There are various ways to do that…Uber across the Bay Bridge, Bus, Bart, or my favorite, ferry across the Bay. Can’t beat that!
5. You can indeed do all these except The ferry the night you arrive but then it’s late night and indeed kind of sketchy.
6. the bridge across the tracks consists of a verry slow elevator up and then down, not the cleanest but I’ve never seen anything problematic either

I have arrived in Emeryville twice (once on the Zephyr and once on the Coast Starlight). The Coast Starlight arrival was a little late, so we got into EMY about 10:30 pm. I was staying at the Hyatt House (as I had done on my previous Zephyr arrival). There weren't very many people around as few got off the train at this stop with me. I called the elevator to go up and over the tracks to the Hyatt. When the elevator doors opened, there was a homeless man on the floor under a blanket with his shopping cart full of possessions beside him. It's a large elevator but he took up about 1/2 of it. It startled me a bit and I had to make a quick decision on what to do. I chose to get in the elevator and ride with him. However, I could not figure out the buttons on the panel. I think I was pressing the wrong button. After a few seconds, he told me which button needed to be pressed and then put his head back down. He was of no danger to me. But there was the uncertainty of what do to in that situation, I must confess. He was gone by the time I got back to the elevator early the next morning.

Just be aware, this could happen. Some people would definitely feel uncomfortable doing this short walk from the station to the Hyatt after dark. I would do it again, however. It's city life and you need to be aware of your surroundings.

We are booked on CZ late January. From RNO to EMY I have us booked on Coach. I have been watching the prices and see that Coach is 70% full. I can upgrade to a Roomette for about $150 extra. Being it is from 8:30 am to about 4:10 would that get us two meals or only one. Is it worth upgrading, I'm wondering if the views and meals make it worthwhile.

RNO-EMY will get you two meals if it is less than an a half hour or hour late (kinda depends on the diner crew), otherwise just lunch. There is no dinner on the last day of the westbound CZ unless they are so late they break out the stew.

Just so people are aware, you can cross the bridge to the Hyatt by walking across as well but you will have to carry your luggage up a few flights of stairs. I was able to do this faster than others that waited for the elevator lol.

When I was there I got a burrito from Best Coast Burritos, highly recommended. The hotel breakfast is actually good and they have lots of options.

The CF is my favorite train. The merchants at Glenwood Springs station fascinate me.

Eastbound the only worry is the connection to the LSL - I have wound up in a Chicago hotel 3 out of 6 trips east.

Just reserved a roundtrip on the CZ, departing westbound on 9/30 (roomette 2 in car 532) and departing eastbound on 10/3 (roomette 5 in car 631). What level are those roomettes in, and will those rooms be likely safe from cancellation?
(Still have to make a hotel reservation for the overnight in Emeryville between trains. I can either try to earn more AGR points or earn Wyndham Rewards points, but would prefer a hotel as close to the Emeryville station as possible, as we have no plans to do touristy things in San Francisco.)

Hyatt house is at the EMY station just have to walk out back door of hotel and walk over tracks to station. Hyatt place is in one block over still in walking distance if you have bags HH is the hotel tho. Did it in December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back