California Zephyr Emeryville Wye

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
Quick one here, no need for a long thread.

I only see one wye in Amtrak's Oakland yard that could be used for the zephyr. And for that one, the tracks lead straight onto Union Street as streetrunning. It doesn't seem ideal for them to turn a train there, but I don't see any other one. Is that the one they use to turn it? Does it go into the street?

Someone may be able to better answer but the wye I normally see them use doesn't require them to go all the way out into the street. They start on that track heading towards Union Street however they turn off under I-880 just south of 5th Street to complete the move heading towards Adeline. The other track going towards Union actually goes into an artist metalwork facility at the corner of 7th and Union known as the Crucible. I believe the tracks on Union itself are partially filled in or paved over now.

Someone may be able to better answer but the wye I normally see them use doesn't require them to go all the way out into the street. They start on that track heading towards Union Street however they turn off under I-880 just south of 5th Street to complete the move heading towards Adeline. The other track going towards Union actually goes into an artist metalwork facility at the corner of 7th and Union known as the Crucible. I believe the tracks on Union itself are partially filled in or paved over now.

This is correct. Not only is the switch for the track that leads onto Union St is locked, crews are prohibited by local Amtrak rules from traversing on those tracks. The tail of the wye ends underneath the freeway and has space for about 6 pieces of equipment. The Zephyr is split in half, each half is wyed separately, and then put back together in the yard

This is correct. Not only is the switch for the track that leads onto Union St is locked, crews are prohibited by local Amtrak rules from traversing on those tracks. The tail of the wye ends underneath the freeway and has space for about 6 pieces of equipment. The Zephyr is split in half, each half is wyed separately, and then put back together in the yard
Alright, that makes sense. It would be cool to see them use the full consist though, lol

Back