California Zephyr EMY-Chi departing 12/27

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As was discussed on another thread the inbound equipment arrived at 4 am this morning. We received a call from the ticket agent at EMY around 6:40 am advising us to not come to the station until 11 am be out train would not leave until 12:30. This was much appreciated.

We had a leisurely breakfast and and I had an after breakfast nap. I’m traveling with Mike. He’s a fellow rail fan. We’ve taken many trips together.

At the station we found out lunch would be served after Sacramento. That’s ok with us.

I am assuming this is the same crew that came from Chicago. Flexibility and compassion are in order for this trip.

I’ve been on ASM all morning. 5 is holding till 5 pm at Reno. I’m expecting we will have a wait at Sacramento or Colfax or both for clearance to proceed over Donner Passs.

The train arrived at 1 pm. Left at 1:16. 4 hours 5 minutes late.

Folks. This train is in IMMACULATE condition. There is NOT 1 spot on my windows. Kudos to the Oakland yard for the job they did preparing the train.

The station staff at Emeryville did an excellent job organizing the passengers to board.

That’s great to hear — the sightseer lounge windows were in a pretty bad state out of Chicago which made photography kinda challenging when trying to avoid the water spots or whatever you call them.

Also if it’s the same crew that took me out of Chicago the 31 and 32 SCAs are great (I don’t think they rotate positions, but I may be wrong)

Best dining car crew. Ever. Played the music used to introduce the Chicago Bulls. They are cheerful and professional. Handling the challenges of the delays with style.
Is Darryl one of them? He was our top favorite on the 6 the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Made the trip extra fun while being absolutely professional. That train arrived in Denver a record-setting 17 minutes early.

United did it’s job. Booked a fare for 397 sfo-Ord. Then since I earned silver I could select seats in premium economy. I didn’t realize until an hour before boarding it was the actual premium economy that are closed to domestic 1st class. It was as n excellent flight. Left late but take rinds got us to Chicago on time.

United did it’s job. Booked a fare for 397 sfo-Ord. Then since I earned silver I could select seats in premium economy. I didn’t realize until an hour before boarding it was the actual premium economy that are closed to domestic 1st class. It was as n excellent flight. Left late but take rinds got us to Chicago on time.
So you got the early morning 777-200. The domestic FC people get to ride in the lie flat Business Class seats on those. Good that you got the actual Y+.

I guess there has to be some compensation for getting stuck on the way to Donner Pass. Almost happened to me once on the way to Marias Pass. But after many hours they did manage to clear it just enough for us tog et through that time.

So you got the early morning 777-200. The domestic FC people get to ride in the lie flat Business Class seats on those. Good that you got the actual Y+.

I guess there has to be some compensation for getting stuck on the way to Donner Pass. Almost happened to me once on the way to Marias Pass. But after many hours they did manage to clear it just enough for us tog et through that time.

It was actually a 787 Dreamliner. I was in that new premium economy section. A first for me. United was great both ways.

Back