California Zephyr in and out of Denver

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MainerTrainer

Train Attendant
We’re traveling in a sleeper on the CZ in September from Chicago to San Francisco, getting off for a couple days in Denver. When would breakfast be served, before or after Denver (or maybe both)?

Just trying to get a sense for what to expect.

Thanks!

On-time arrival in Denver is around 7:00, 7:15 A.M. When I took the CZ in 2015, I had showered and sat down for breakfast as we were getting into the outskirts of Denver; I think we were running about 20 minutes late. If you're getting off at Denver, then you'll probably be able to grab breakfast before detraining even if the train is running on-time. Not sure how long breakfast service continues after departure, which is around 8:00 A.M.

That's what I remember going in to Denver. I've never gone West from there, only back East, so I'm not sure about departure. But if the train is going to be late enough to miss breakfast, there is a really good place in the station.

In the past I have called Amtrak about such questions and their telephone agents have been very helpful in telling me if I was entitled to a meal when I was boarding right around mealtime.

Not sure if you are asking about breakfast on your arrival in Denver or on your departure. The night before your arrival in Denver the dining car personnel can tell you what time they will start serving the next morning.

If you are boarding at Denver to head west and you learn the train is running late it might be wise to have breakfast before boarding just to be safe. As others have noted there are some good places to eat in and around Union Station although I was last there during the renovation and there weren't any such places then that I could see.

One thing is clear in taking the Zephyr west from Denver. I recommend being out of your room and out of the dining car before the train leaves Denver in order to get a good seat in the sightseer lounge car. Stand if you have to and are able to. I assume the view from the dining car if you are having breakfast there is probably good but the lounge car would be far more preferable in my opinion. It is marvelous scenery. I regret having to leave the lounge car to have lunch but you have to do what you have to do.

We’re traveling in a sleeper on the CZ in September from Chicago to San Francisco, getting off for a couple days in Denver. When would breakfast be served, before or after Denver (or maybe both)?

Just trying to get a sense for what to expect.

Thanks!
It depends on the On time progress of the Train, but it starts before arrival into Denver, and you'll be able to eat before your arrival into Denver and deboarding( The Texas Eagle has the same process arriving into St Louis)

Breakfast options on the train when getting off at Denver will be very driven by how late (or possibly early?) the train is. If it were me, I would suggest planning on a VERY good breakfast at Snooze inside Union Station in Denver after you get off the train. By all means, enjoy some coffee, juice, etc on the train if time allows. Snooze is open for breakfast from 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM.

Back