California Zephyr Leaving Denver West

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphisdoug

Train Attendant
A couple of questions about my upcoming Zephyr ride leaving Denver headed west.

The train is scheduled to leave at 8:05 AM. Will there be breakfast available in the dining car for me as a bedroom passenger just getting on the train?

I will be returning an Enterprise rental car to the Broadway rental office. I see they open at 7:00 AM. Is there plenty of time to return the car and get to the train station in time for the train. I see the rental location is about a mile from the station. Has anyone done this before and how did it go?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Did these just last week.

1) Yes for breakfast, but don't expect a seat in the SSL if you do. If a seat is that important, eat breakfast in the station before boarding.

--> PS Minor Gripe to this point... Conductor boarded a horde of coach passengers ahead of the sleeper passengers once they finally boarded, as the SCAs were still cleaning the rooms. Most of this horde was then found, when the sleeper finally boarded, occupying all the seats in the SSL. Bad form, Amtrak!

2) Dropped off at the Broadway Budget, not Enterprise, but same theory. I didn't trust the connection, and figured it might be tough to find a cab at that hour, so I dropped the family off at the station around 6:15, and went to use the drop box at the rental place. Sure enough, it was tough to find a cab, had to walk 3 blocks to the Grand Hyatt and actually have them call me one, but was still back at the station by 7.

Enterprise has drop-off service. Call in advance to make sure they can take you right away, since pick-up drop off drivers don't always start at the same time as the office opens. The train is due in at 7:15A, they may be set up to pick someone up already. If you have checked bags, consider checking them before you return the car if time will be tight..

I use that Enterprise office frequently. Even the check-in clerk will drive you to the train station -- often using the same car that you rented. Should be no problem a-tall.

When I ride the zephyr, I wake up right before Denver, get off the train, grab a coffee in the station at Pig Train Coffee. Then as soon as we depart (or before if I can) I grab Breakfast. It times out perfect that I'm finishing breakfast about when we hit the big 10 curves. Now I usually travel solo on train, so I've never had a problem getting a seat in the SSL. Lots of couples try to take an entire booth for themselves. I just ask to join them. there is so much good scenery on the zephyr I don't plan my meals around it.

I would say theoretically yes since breakfast is just drop-in seating. In practice, if the train is late they won't extend the hours. I've had that happen to me when I planned a ride around breakfast and the train was 1.5 hours late and past the 9:30 breakfast seating cutoff.

1) Yes for breakfast, but don't expect a seat in the SSL if you do. If a seat is that important, eat breakfast in the station before boarding.

--> PS Minor Gripe to this point... Conductor boarded a horde of coach passengers ahead of the sleeper passengers once they finally boarded, as the SCAs were still cleaning the rooms. Most of this horde was then found, when the sleeper finally boarded, occupying all the seats in the SSL. Bad form, Amtrak!

2) Dropped off at the Broadway Budget, not Enterprise, but same theory. I didn't trust the connection, and figured it might be tough to find a cab at that hour, so I dropped the family off at the station around 6:15, and went to use the drop box at the rental place. Sure enough, it was tough to find a cab, had to walk 3 blocks to the Grand Hyatt and actually have them call me one, but was still back at the station by 7.
1) Thanks for the confirmation; I was counting on it. But also thanks for the info on the SSL; I should have thought of that but hadn't.

And yes, that is bad form. While we should live in an egalitarian society, we don't. Amtrak should have plenty of seats in the SSL, but there are insufficient seats for the demand. I suppose it would be even worse if "sleeper class" were still called "first class" but it's still unfortunate. If that happens to me, maybe I'll just consider breakfast to be the consolation prize.

2) Thanks for that heads-up.

Now I usually travel solo on train, so I've never had a problem getting a seat in the SSL. Lots of couples try to take an entire booth for themselves. I just ask to join them.
On my trip, by the time we were done with Breakfast there was exactly one seat left... and it was freshly doused in orange juice.

If I wanted a seat and were coming from CHI, which breakfast seating would you say I should take? 7am?

If I wanted a seat and were coming from CHI, which breakfast seating would you say I should take? 7am?
Breakfast only is first come first served. Diner typically opens at 0630.

As I am going to be on this very same route, can I ask one of you with experience some details about the scenic parts of the trip. Will be departing near the end of April on this trip.

Taking the Hiawatha down from Milwaukee to Union Station. We'll be getting a roomette in Chicago and going all the way to Emeryville. I've heard that the view just west of Denver is spectacular and as this is my first ever long distance trip, I'd like some advice.

Which side of the train in your opinion has the better view? I had heard it changes later on? And anything notable thru Nevada and California?

I was planning on getting up early before Denver, eat breakfast and then camp out for a few hours in the SSL. Recommendations on how long to stay? I don't want to be selfish, but I would like to see the highlights of the trip. Would you recommend sitting at a table where you can see both sides? Rather than facing one way exclusively?

We'll be on the return trip about a week later.

Thanks much for your time

Gerry

IMO:

Denver - Dotsero: Left side (Colorado River)

Dotsero - Glenwood Springs: Right side (Glenwood Canyon)

Glenwood Springs - Green River: Left side (Colorado River / McInnis Canyon)

Green River - Provo: Right side (Large Escarpment)

[night]

Reno - Truckee: Left side (Truckee River)

Truckee - Emigrant Gap: Right side (Donner Pass/Lake)

Emigrant Gap - Colifax: Left side (American River Valley)

In short, if you're stuck on one side, you'll still get great scenery.

The scenery on the zephyr is amazing. As was said, both sides offer really great views.

I prefer a table in the lounge, that way im facing forward and can look out either side of the train easily. but anywhere is good and you can always move around the lounge.

Oh! And don't forget Ruby Canyon just west of Grand Junction. For some reason it doesn't get mentioned as much as other scenic highlights but in my opinion is just as remarkable. Last fall I was lucky enough to see the cottonwood trees at their peak. The gold leaves against the red canyon walls looked like a painting.

The atmosphere in the Observation car is like one big happy group enjoying the journey up the mountains together. People point out animals loud enough for everyone to notice and when someone calls something out on the opposite side you can just move or turn your head and take a look. If you are sitting near someone who has been through before, they are happy to point out interesting highlights. My husband is happy just sitting in our room watching, while I like the atmosphere in the Observation car.

Don't worry about which side you are on, the train makes so many turns it is enjoyable no matter where you are. Sit back, relax and enjoy the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back