California Zephyr reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I made my reservations for a trip on the California Zephyr for next April. I have rooms 631D and 531D. I am going single in a bedroom. Any comments on location? Where are cars x31 located? This will be SAC to CHI.

D is the second room down from the mid car stairs.

The 31 car on the CZ is the first car forward of the diner. Other western Superliners have that as the 30 car linep, but the CZ doesn't usually have a 30 car line these days except as a reservation system f up. They used to use the 30 line number as the seasonal Chicago-Denver sleeper.

Amtrak recently cancelled my round trip to Chicago due to their extension of the 5 day a week schedule on the CZ. I am a little happy about it. My entire trip including train, hotel, and food for a 1 week vacation would have cost about $5000 for 1 person. I will think about it again next year if the prices go way down. I know I could have cut the price in half with a roomette instead of a bedroom but with my claustrophobia and getting up a night I passed on that.

i have seen overnight trips on YouTube in bedrooms on some very glamourous trains in other countries for a few hundred dollars.

Hi folks,
Mrs Rizla and I are stoked to be booked on the Zephyr between SF-Chicago in August. It's the first thing on our newly-retired bucket list to tick off.
We've booked a Roomette ( Car 632- RFoom 3 ). We paid $789. Is this a downstairs or upstairs Roomette ?
It's just a general query as to any basic tips anyone can offer us as to how we should prepare, what we should bring, and anything we can do on board to make our journey go well.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
- Bring earplugs for the night (unless the noise doesn't affect you)
- Expect to have no mobile network coverage during long periods (and there's no WiFi on board)
- And enjoy the scenery :)

Hi folks,
Mrs Rizla and I are stoked to be booked on the Zephyr between SF-Chicago in August. It's the first thing on our newly-retired bucket list to tick off.
We've booked a Roomette ( Car 632- RFoom 3 ). We paid $789.
It's just a general query as to any basic tips anyone can offer us as to how we should prepare, what we should bring, and anything we can do on board to make our journey go well.
Thanks in advance.
Please read the Forums on AU about First time Riders and the Trip Reports that Members have posted about this Amazing Route!

Tons of great info here!😎

- Bring earplugs for the night (unless the noise doesn't affect you)
- Expect to have no mobile network coverage during long periods (and there's no WiFi on board)
- And enjoy the scenery :)

No Wifi or network coverage ? Absolutely wonderful. 👌😊

Hi folks,
We've booked a Roomette ( Car 632- RFoom 3 ). We paid $789. Is this a downstairs or upstairs Roomette ?
Thanks in advance.

Roomette 3 would be on the upper deck of the Superliner car. The link below shows you the layout of various cars.

https://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Not to be negative, since you are the second sleeper (31 is the first one on the CZ), you should be aware that passengers on the second sleeper on the SW Chief and Empire Builder have been getting downgraded to coach or booted off entirely this summer due to the sleeper being pulled because Amtrak's equipment and staffing shortages. Amtrak is hasn't been notifying them until a week before the trip, although the car had been pulled long before. By that time, any remaining inventory that they could rebook into was usually gone.

The CZ apparently hasn't been hit with this, but I wouldn't count on it. This is something that has never happened before. Before this summer, an Amtrak sleeper reservation was pretty much a sure thing as long as the train ran and wasn't cancelled due to something like a bridge fire, flooding or major wreck closing the line.

I highly recommend you regularly check your reservation on the Amtrak app. If the QR code is gone, it will likely much mean your sleeper isn't running but they haven't yet notified you (there could be other reasons, maybe as small as a schedule change). Call immediately to find out the reason and to try to get re-accommodated if you need to, don't wait for Amtrak to get around to notifying you.

More info on the travails of SW Chief and Builder passengers here:
https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/bedroom-downgraded-to-coach-a-week-before-departure.82223/

Not to be negative, since you are the second sleeper (31 is the first one on the CZ), you should be aware that passengers on the second sleeper on the SW Chief and Empire Builder have been getting downgraded to coach or booted off entirely this summer due to the sleeper being pulled because Amtrak's equipment and staffing shortages. Amtrak is hasn't been notifying them until a week before the trip, although the car had been pulled long before. By that time, any remaining inventory that they could rebook into was usually gone.

The CZ apparently hasn't been hit with this, but I wouldn't count on it. This is something that has never happened before. Before this summer, an Amtrak sleeper reservation was pretty much a sure thing as long as the train ran and wasn't cancelled due to something like a bridge fire, flooding or major wreck closing the line.

I highly recommend you regularly check your reservation on the Amtrak app. If the QR code is gone, it will likely much mean your sleeper isn't running but they haven't yet notified you (there could be other reasons, maybe as small as a schedule change). Call immediately to find out the reason and to try to get re-accommodated if you need to, don't wait for Amtrak to get around to notifying you.

More info on the travails of SW Chief and Builder passengers here:
https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/bedroom-downgraded-to-coach-a-week-before-departure.82223/

Thanks for the heads-up.
I suppose anything is possible but until it happens it really doesn't worry us.
We'll always find something else to do if it does.

The CZ has regularly been running with a 32 car thus far (can be seen daily from rail cameras) so I wouldn’t worry too much.
Yes, but Amtrak has been pulling stunts this summer it never has before. I agree with you it is probably reasonably safe, but better to be safe than sorry and checking the reservation in the app for the QR code periodically is easy enough to do.

OP is traveling next April. I surely hope Amtrak has things sorted out before then.
Didn't initially notice the date. I hope so, too. I doubt next April will be a problem, but then again I couldn't have imagined Amtrak screwing up so colossally this summer, despite their long and storied history of screwing up. I would still be checking my reservation on a fairly regular basis. My trust in Amtrak to not mess up an existing reservation, which I wouldn't have dreamed would ever be an issue short of bridge failure, flood, or major derailment, is gone now.

The most recent posts being commented on (poster = Rizla Ronnie) were added to this thread today. They are traveling on the CZ in August 2022. So the comments above are relevant at this time.

But Rizla Ronnie is not the original poster (OP) of this thread.

Hi folks,
Mrs Rizla and I are stoked to be booked on the Zephyr between SF-Chicago in August.
Didn't initially notice the date. I hope so, too. I doubt next April will be a problem, but then again I couldn't have imagined Amtrak screwing up so colossally this summer, despite their long and storied history of screwing up. I would still be checking my reservation on a fairly regular basis. My trust in Amtrak to not mess up an existing reservation, which I wouldn't have dreamed would ever be an issue short of bridge failure, flood, or major derailment, is gone now.
Yeah, for August I would watch it.

Lots of tips in the threads mentioned above. Best thing with Amtrak is to try to keep a sense of humor.

Bring a 6' extension cord with multiple outlets at the end. The room has exactly one plug in an inconvenient place.

That's actually a pretty good price for August, hope it works out!

Great tip.
Two other quick questions - I presume it's ok to bring your own booze on board ? We shall be flying in from the UK prior to the journey so will be able to take advantage of duty-free prices. Mrs Rizla is rather keen on her gin before dinner.
And towels. Are they provided for showers ?
Thanks

Great tip.
Two other quick questions - I presume it's ok to bring your own booze on board ? We shall be flying in from the UK prior to the journey so will be able to take advantage of duty-free prices. Mrs Rizla is rather keen on her gin before dinner.
Thanks
Passengers in sleepers are allowed to have and consume their own private stock of alcohol in their rooms. Perfectly legit.

Bath towels are provided. How they are provided is a bit inconsistent, like most things Amtrak. Some attendants leave a stack of fresh towels in the shower room, some have them on the downstairs luggage rack, a few make you ask for them. There will be hand towels in your room, but those are too small for drying off after a shower.

Last edited:
Great tip.
Thanks
Yes, Sleeping car Passengers can enjoy Adult Beverages they bring aboard while IN THEIR ROOMS.

The Cafe and Diner ( Slerping Car Passengers only on most LD Trains)offer Beer,Liquor ( very Limited Selection) and Not so Great Wine for sale @ Stadium Prices.

Towels and Soap are provided to Sleeping Car Passengers. While in Superliners ( Double Decks Cars) your closet will have a Hand Towelsand Wash Cloths, and the Bath Towels are kept in the Shower.( on Viewliners the Attendants often store Luggage in the Shower due to a shortage of Space,but you can ask them to remove it while you use the Shower.

Last edited:
Yes, Sleeping car Passengers can enjoy Adult Beverages they bring aboard while IN THEIR ROOMS.

The Cafe and Diner ( Slerping Car Passengers only on most LD Trains)offer Beer and Not so Great Wine for sale @ Stadium Prices.

Towels and Soap are provided to Sleeping Car Passengers. While in Superliners ( Double Decks Cars) your closet will have a Hand Towelsand Wash Cloths, and the Bath Towels are kept in the Shower.( on Viewliners the Attendants often store Luggage in the Shower due to a shortage of Space,but you can ask them to remove it while you use the Shower.

Upvote for "Slerping Car Passengers," presumably slurping their private cache of Adult Beverages. I like this trip!

Sleeping car passengers are offered one complimentary alcoholic beverage at dinner. I believe the stock included gun during my April '22 trip on the CZ. (I always took the Makers mark.) You get the booze (or wine/beer) plus a mixer, but I don't think they can mix you a cocktail. :(

Welcome to the forum, Rizla Ronny. In light of your "name", I will point out that Amtrak trains are non smoking, but there are some extended stops where one can stand out on the platform for a smoke.
Feel free to ask any Amtrak questions that you need to...

Back