California Zephyr Richmond vs. Emeryville Fare

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
I currently have a trip booked next week on the CZ from Chicago to Richmond, but due to a change in plans, Emeryville would now be the better station to get off at. Would the conductor likely allow me to stay on until Emeryville without changing my ticket? It appears Richmond is a discharge only stop and Chicago-Emeryville is priced the same as Chicago-Richmond, so it seems like it might be a similar situation to South Station and Back Bay in Boston where the ticket would be good to either. Normally I would just change the ticket, but I bought it at a sale price which is no longer available, so that would nearly double the ticket price.

I once ended up at Emeryville instead of Richmond to board and the agent told me there was no need to change my ticket. Your mileage may vary of course.

(For those unfamiliar Richmond and Emeryville are 8 miles apart).

This is not with personal experience, rather what I have read.

It will most likely vary by crew as well. I've read stories where conductors haven't let someone on because a minor was travelling alone and had no ticket on them, yet their guardian was showing them a valid ticket before departure.

So, if it's a good conductor, I doubt you will have a problem. But if it's not, then you may find some problems.

Back