California Zephyr Summer Fall 2018 Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
Usually The California Zephyr has changed the consist to moving the sleepers to the end of the consist with coaches to front by or before Memorial Day weekend. So far that change has not occurred so I am wondering if 2018 will be the first year sleepers stay in the front. The old reason was to run one sleeper just to Denver and leave it there but for the last several years the third sleeper has done the full route Chicago to Emeryville so that does not apply anymore. So does anyone have information whether the change will be made this year or are the sleepers on the Zephyr going to stay at the front from now on.

I have been watching on Railstream and know that through yesterday May 28, they have been using three sleepers for about a week and they are in the front so 533 would be first sleeper after the transition crew sleeper instead of the last car in the consist if they do not go to the summer consist as in previous years.

The car numbers have not and do not change between seasons. I am not familiar with the coach numbers but the sleepers year round are 0531, 0532, and 0533 with 0531 being the primary sleeper meaning that if they cut to just one sleeper that is the remaining sleeper and it is always the sleeper next to the dining car whether sleepers are in front or in the rear. The actual car numbers do not change from season to season just the possible arrangement that swaps the location of sleepers and coaches to being the front of the train ahead of dining car and sightseerer lounge or sleepers in the rear with sightseerer lounge and dining car ahead of the sleepers.

...with 0531 being the primary sleeper meaning that if they cut to just one sleeper that is the remaining sleeper and it is always the sleeper next to the dining car whether sleepers are in front or in the rear.
When I was traveling in the Zephyr last December, the Sleeper was in the rear, and only one sleeper. Assuming that it was the low season then.

I am painfully aware of that situation as I was booked on sleeper 0532 and Amtrak arbitrarily cut the 0532 sleeper(maybe for maintenance) for a couple weeks early December. They assigned me to roomettes 009 and 010 but also eventually moved me to 018 in the transition sleeper so they fully refunded my fare when I cancelled the trip.

Yeah, I've heard consistently very good things about the Trans-dorm. Seems like the only disadvantage to it is that the SCA in the Adjacent sleeper has to take care of you. But if memory serves, many of the forms also have an extra large shower/toilet area. There were also a couple cases mentioned on AU where they were provided hot coffee all day, since the crew needs it.

I am painfully aware of that situation as I was booked on sleeper 0532 and Amtrak arbitrarily cut the 0532 sleeper(maybe for maintenance) for a couple weeks early December. They assigned me to roomettes 009 and 010 but also eventually moved me to 018 in the transition sleeper so they fully refunded my fare when I cancelled the trip.
I have had good experiences in the Trans Sleeper, though I know if I want the SCA I may have to check the adjoining car, otherwise the car is quiet, shower is convenient. Had they moved me, I would have still taken the trip.

How do I request a transdorm roomette when I am booking over the phone, as I always get an arbitrary room assignments for every single sleeper reservation.
With the exception of the Texas Eagle, which allocates the trans-dorm rooms to trains #21/22 on the days that the through cars run, I believe you usually can't specifically request a room in the trans-dorm. They usually just open up once the regular sleepers are full.

The TE is the only route I know of that actually assigns the Trans Sleeper rooms from the start. On the days when 421/422 runs, 21/22 only has Roomettes available, shows Bedrooms and Family Room sold out. It doesn't say that the car is the Trans Dorm unless you know the room numbers are the Trans SLeeper.

The TE is the only route I know of that actually assigns the Trans Sleeper rooms from the start. On the days when 421/422 runs, 21/22 only has Roomettes available, shows Bedrooms and Family Room sold out. It doesn't say that the car is the Trans Dorm unless you know the room numbers are the Trans SLeeper.
Or the car number.

Back