California Zephyr trip 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, two weeks till I go. I am in car 632, room 8. Last time I rode 6 in November, the sleepers were at the front. I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a look at 6 to see if the sleepers still run in the front, or are they now in the back.

During my most recent look a week and a half ago, the sleepers were still running up front, and the 632 car was the recently released from the Grove 32053. Maybe you'll be lucky and get this car in your consist.

The Coast Starlight runs with its sleepers--along with the first-class-only parlor car--up front just ahead of the diner. Perhaps it is a case of first-class passengers getting there first. Also, it keeps non-first-class passengers from having to walk through first-class areas.

Also, on the Seattle-Spokane segment of the Empire Builder, I believe the sleeper is also up front. The diner/lounger is at the rear of the train. When the train joins with the Portland section, the diner and superliner lounge cars are paired. Then come the coaches (usually two) and then the sleeper (again, I presume, to keep coach passengers from having to walk through).

Acutally the Builder runs with the diner right next to the Seattle sleepers followed by 2 Seatle coaches, then the Portland lounge and the rest of the coaches and sleepers from Portland.

Amfleet said:
Acutally the Builder runs with the diner right next to the Seattle sleepers followed by 2 Seatle coaches, then the Portland lounge and the rest of the coaches and sleepers from Portland.
Ditto.

And also, on 5/6, the order changes depending on the way things were set up. Occasionally, 5 has coaches at front, and sometimes vice versa. Either way, what is guaranteed is that which ever way 5 is, 6 will be the opposite. They don't wye the whole train in Oakland, just the Engines, baggage, and crew car.

If you don't mind me asking, but why do you want to know the position of the sleepers? I prefer them at the head-end because your closer to the locomotive and can hear the horns loud and clear. :)

Steve4031 said:
Well, the key then is to get a look at the consist of 5 for the trip that arrives Emeryville on Feb. 28 since I leave on the 1st.
BINGO! :)

Steve 4031,

When I rode WB Zephyr in mid-Dec 2002, the SI sleepers were on the head end, Nos. 32059 & 32012.

- - - -The Chief

Saw #5 today just outside of MTZ operating with 2 sleepers at the head end and two amboxes on the rear.

Amfleet said:
If you don't mind me asking, but why do you want to know the position of the sleepers? I prefer them at the head-end because your closer to the locomotive and can hear the horns loud and clear. :)
I like riding in the sleepers when ther are on the back of a train because I can see the entire consist as the train goes around a curve, which 5/6 does alot. :D Also, if I was lucky enough to ride on a trip where there were no freight cars, then I could stand and look at the track from the back window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back