California Zephyr trip 7/28/2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The conductor and LSA just told us to stay in our rooms until the tickets had been collected. Is this normal? The SCA also reminded us to flush the toilet.

Last edited:
The conductor and LSA just told us to stay in our rooms until the tickets had been collected. Is this normal? The LSA also reminded us to flush the toilet.
Yes, that is pretty normal at terminal stations where they don't lift/scan tickets prior to boarding. They don't want you moving about the train until tickets have been lifted.

In many cases, the conductor just depends on the SCA letting them know everyone on the manifest is there and don't lift tickets themselves. That is a practice I dislike, having had a trip screwed up once because I hadn't been "checked in" by the conductor.

As to flushing the toilet, that's a new one to me. Perhaps they wanted to make sure all the toilets were working before getting rolling and thus losing the capability to fix them. That seems like a very reasonable precaution, especially given the track record of Chicago's (non) maintenance base. "If it isn't here, there's no problem."

Last edited:
The conductor and LSA just told us to stay in our rooms until the tickets had been collected. Is this normal? The SCA also reminded us to flush the toilet.
Uh yep. The. Cafe isn’t even open yet anyway

Looks like you got one of those Control Freaks that are showing up more and more @ Amtrak!

That could be. I have visited the Cafe Car before it was open, but was never told to leave.

es, that is pretty normal at terminal stations where they don't lift/scan tickets prior to boarding. They don't want you moving about the train until tickets have been lifted.

In many cases, the conductor just depends on the SCA letting them know everyone on the manifest is there and don't lift tickets themselves. That is a practice I dislike,

This is what I have experienced. It's a bit disconcerting to me when the Conductor does not lift my ticket.

As to flushing the toilet, that's a new one to me.

Never have heard that as well. Reminds me of my young childhood. "Did you remember to flush?" "Yes, Mother".

Being told to stay in your room while the conductor checks tickets from the route origin is normal on Amtrak. It's also normal to be kicked out of common areas before arriving at the terminus so the staff can do post-arrival cleanup work on your time instead of theirs. I personally find major stations really interesting and want to see as much of the interlocking and train shed as possible, but if you're at the start or end of a route that risks being shouted at.

Last edited:
Back