California Zephyr which direction is best

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westbound. You're guaranteed more scenery (unless the train is running ridiculously late).

Eastbound is nice too, though. I did that trip in March 2015, and while I didn't get to see as much scenery, it was still a beautiful trip.

I vote for west bound also if you had to choose just one direction. Both have great scenery. West bound you can sleep through Iowa and Nebraska. I went Christmas week and dawn occurred right as we sat in Denver Station. Fresh snow all up through the mountains. Gorgeous.

Westbound. You're guaranteed more scenery (unless the train is running ridiculously late).

Eastbound is nice too, though. I did that trip in March 2015, and while I didn't get to see as much scenery, it was still a beautiful trip.
The way I look at this whole subject is that anything seen when looking out the window of a train is scenery - the landscape. And because the route is essentially the same in both directions, the landscape is essentially the same in both directions - the only difference being whether it's seen during daylight hours or at night.

Some say there's no scenery when going through any of the Prairie States. But I find the seemingly endless wheat fields in Montana and the corn fields in Iowa just as picturesque as anything else along the Amtrak routes I've taken.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited:
I traveled west on the Zephyr in December 2019 and will be traveling east in December 2021. Although I think west is preferable because of the views, l like traveling east also. In December 2011. I traveled east (on my way home from a trip on the Canadian), and for a long while, there were only 2 passengers in the sightseer lounge. I loved that lack of crowds. I am guessing I will experience more crowds in early December this year.

I traveled west on the Zephyr in December 2019 and will be traveling east in December 2021. Although I think west is preferable because of the views, l like traveling east also. In December 2011. I traveled east (on my way home from a trip on the Canadian), and for a long while, there were only 2 passengers in the sightseer lounge. I loved that lack of crowds. I am guessing I will experience more crowds in early December this year.
Why do you think there was a lack of crowds?

It was slow season (between Thanksgiving and Christmas). That is all I can think of. I got a fabulous deal on the Canadian that year: Express deal (I think it was called) - room for 2 for $865.

I am guessing more people will be traveling this December in slow season. I am using points for the trip and am paying more than double what I paid for a similar trip in 2019.

OK thnx for the comments.... we are thinking westbound now to find the best time (lowest Fair)?? good luck, right?
I think the cheapest fairs would be between January and May. Definitely not summer, and not around any major holidays. Might find one in the fall season too.

May is getting onto the high summer season, and March/April has spring break. Lowest travel demand in my experience is January-early March, late September-early November.

Most fairs are pretty cheap, many charging no admission. Just go easy on the rides and the funnel cakes. Fares, on the other hand, can get pretty expensive😉

My favorite is the direction I am going is based on where I want to get. So if I'm headed to Sacramento from Denver, I'd rather go west because going east will make my trip much more expensive and longer. :)
I like this positive mindset. It’s the same in golf - when you slice off the tee 20 yards into the rough, you’re still one shot nearer the hole.

Back