Calling for upgrade on day of travel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pal2Pluto

Train Attendant
For our cross-country trip, we are doing a mixed bag of coach seats, business, and roomette. Is it possible you could call the day of travel to see if there were available bedrooms? Or just ask if there is a possiblility of getting a room? Have any of you done this or heard of others doing this? Does it work? Is it crazy expensive last minute, or do they do it cheaply? And would that include the meals normally included with rooms?

Just dreaming...... thanks in advance.

You can't do it on board. You have to call Amtrak. The rate will not be discounted. Never understood this. If there are sleepers that will remain empty through the entire trip,why not sell them at a discount? Better than no revenue. Can you imagine Coach passengers who would jump at the chance for a private room,especially with no end in sight to Covid? Yet,it doesn't happen. Prices remain sky high and many people will not pay what Amtrak asks.

I was on the EB from Chicago to Portland earlier this year. One bedroom was sold the entire trip and six roomettes remained empty.I asked my attendant and she said it's because prices were too high. So why not lower them?

Many years ago there was a policy to sell empty rooms on board at low bucket prices. It was quite tedious and rarely worked as intended. Those days are over and these days last minute rooms are no longer discounted, but there is a bidding process for last minute upgrades on some trains so look into that.

For our cross-country trip, we are doing a mixed bag of coach seats, business, and roomette. Is it possible you could call the day of travel to see if there were available bedrooms? Or just ask if there is a possiblility of getting a room? Have any of you done this or heard of others doing this? Does it work? Is it crazy expensive last minute, or do they do it cheaply? And would that include the meals normally included with rooms?

Just dreaming...... thanks in advance.
Hold times when calling can be annoying. I did see a passenger ask the conductor for an upgrade recently... he had rapid access to reservations and was able to confirm the upgrade; and directed the passenger to the room. Costing can be a mixed bag depending on how full the train is. Once in a while prices do go down if there are many vacancies.

You can also check before departure but you will spend a long time on hold. Not sure if the bidding system is continuing... you can also check reservations online for availability.

I tried to call and upgrade from business to a room on the Starlight one time and it didn't work out even though I was willing to pay and there was space available. It seems like it requires a really knowledgeable phone rep and even the staff onboard the train were confused about the process. I've never bothered trying again.

I tried to call and upgrade from business to a room on the Starlight one time and it didn't work out even though I was willing to pay and there was space available. It seems like it requires a really knowledgeable phone rep and even the staff onboard the train were confused about the process. I've never bothered trying again.
That's right... the phone reps run the gamut and it seems that because that everyone seems new and is in training, and has to put you on hold to get information [which may or may not be correct] the entire process is... well, um... it is easy to see why you have not bothered trying again.

I have checked the app before departure and if there was a chance to modify into a better accommodation at a better price I would call in and request the modification. Unofficially say..70% success rate

Back