Quantcast

Caltrain shutdown possible

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

jebr

Conductor
Staff member
Administator
"The Last Great City of the East," St. Paul, MN
It appears that Caltrain may face a complete shutdown after San Francisco's supervisors failed to support a ballot initiative for a sales tax supporting Caltrain services.

From SFGate:
The future of Caltrain is uncertain.

The cash-strapped agency faces a potential shutdown of its rail commuter line after a bid to put a sales tax on the November ballot failed. The San Francisco Board of Supervisors failed to support it at a Tuesday meeting.

Caltrain is in a dire budget situation as the agency is reliant on fare revenue and ridership is down due to the pandemic. A sales tax in the three counties where it operates — San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara — would have provided a new revenue stream to keep train service afloat.

FrensicPic

Conductor
The article didn't say (or, I couldn't find it) how much the proposed sales tax would be.
Whatever the amount, it would be on top of the existing sales tax: San Francisco County 8.5%; San Mateo County 9.25% and up to 9.75% in some cities; Santa Clara County 9.0% and up to 9.25% in some cities.

Alice

OBS Chief
The article didn't say (or, I couldn't find it) how much the proposed sales tax would be.
Whatever the amount, it would be on top of the existing sales tax: San Francisco County 8.5%; San Mateo County 9.25% and up to 9.75% in some cities; Santa Clara County 9.0% and up to 9.25% in some cities.
1/8th cent. It is in the article SFGate linked to, in the San Mateo Daily Journal. Also gives SF reasons. My opinion, "reasons" should be in quotes.

FrensicPic

Conductor
1/8th cent. It is in the article SFGate linked to, in the San Mateo Daily Journal. Also gives SF reasons. My opinion, "reasons" should be in quotes.
Thanks...reading the San Mateo Daily Journal article provided more info.

west point

Conductor
1/8 th percent mean a whole 1 cent for an $8.00 purchase. Is this some kind of political ploy by the supervisors ?