can 1 person book a family bedroom?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The price of any accommodation doesn't change with the number of occupants. So, I would say "book it!" for the family room.

You do like kids, don't you? Just in case the conductor tosses a couple in with you. :D
On Amtrak? I'm pretty sure the number of occupants increases the price. It did when I tried out a route on the CS.

Most hotels consider two adults in the basic price, but beyond that many charge more per additional adult. A few low budget chains charge extra for a second adult.
I'm guessing he meant the accommodation charge added to the rail fare.

I traveled, by myself, in a Family Bedroom from Chicago to Emeryville once since it was cheaper than a roommette or bedroom. I enjoyed the spaciousness of the room and the fact that there is a window on both sides of the train. It reminded me of a Drawing Room that they used to have.

The price of any accommodation doesn't change with the number of occupants. So, I would say "book it!" for the family room.

You do like kids, don't you? Just in case the conductor tosses a couple in with you. :D
On Amtrak? I'm pretty sure the number of occupants increases the price. It did when I tried out a route on the CS.

Most hotels consider two adults in the basic price, but beyond that many charge more per additional adult. A few low budget chains charge extra for a second adult.
Yes. By the price of the accommodation, did indeed mean the accommodation charge.

Its still one price regardless of the number of passengers ticketed to occupy it, up to the max number allowed, right?

The price of any accommodation doesn't change with the number of occupants. So, I would say "book it!" for the family room. You do like kids, don't you? Just in case the conductor tosses a couple in with you. :D
On Amtrak? I'm pretty sure the number of occupants increases the price. It did when I tried out a route on the CS.Most hotels consider two adults in the basic price, but beyond that many charge more per additional adult. A few low budget chains charge extra for a second adult.
Yes. By the price of the accommodation, did indeed mean the accommodation charge.Its still one price regardless of the number of passengers ticketed to occupy it, up to the max number allowed, right?
One person occupying a room still makes Amtrak less in total fare than four people. I guess AGR 1.0 was the exception where the points cost was the same regardless of number of passengers. Wouldn't the incentive be to have more passengers paying the incremental passenger charges?

However, you're always free to do whatever you want. I'm sure that restaurants prefer that a table for two or four not be taken by a solo diner or party of three, but that's kind of the way the tables are arranged. It's not quite like airline seats (or Amtrak coach), where the crew can shift around passengers if the consider it expedient.

that's probably the #1 thing I don't like about Amtrak. Why can't they just

come up with a way to do online seat assignments like European trains? :(

that's probably the #1 thing I don't like about Amtrak. Why can't they just

come up with a way to do online seat assignments like European trains? :(
They already have a way, they just don't use it. But Amtrak used to assign seats in First Class on Acela when it first came out.

They already have a way, they just don't use it. But Amtrak used to assign seats in First Class on Acela when it first came out.
the current system seems to have just one purpose... which is to keep tabs on passengers so they can be kicked off the trains at their correct destination.

does Amtrak think that passengers cannot be trusted to get off the train by themselves? :D

does Amtrak think that passengers cannot be trusted to get off the train by themselves? :D
Amtrak knows from experience that passengers frequently don't/can't keep track of what the next stop is, so yes, Amtrak knows it needs to keep tabs on passengers.

I'm a case on point - because I am hearing impaired.

While I hear announcements made on the public address system its only rarely that I can understand what is being announced.

the current system seems to have just one purpose... which is to keep tabs on passengers so they can be kicked off the trains at their correct destination.

Even when they did use seat assignments, the conductors still used seat checks so as to know where to kick one off the train.

Of course the original plan for Acela was to have your stop displayed on the overhead LCD displays above the seats.

Even when they did use seat assignments, the conductors still used seat checks so as to know where to kick one off the train.

Of course the original plan for Acela was to have your stop displayed on the overhead LCD displays above the seats.
One of the times that I rode in coach on an LD train, they used a different color seat check for me cause I'm special. :) It made it easy to find my seat whenever I got up to take a walk.

Special: Deaf/Hard of Hearing. This was so that each conductor would know in case they needed to get my attention.

will the Avelia trains they ordered be equipped passenger ejection seats? (so you can be ejected to the platform when you've arrived at the station indicated on your ticket)

will the Avelia trains they ordered be equipped passenger ejection seats? (so you can be ejected to the platform when you've arrived at the station indicated on your ticket)
like the seats in the Bond DB-5 in Goldfinger?

No, they're going to hook 'em up on the fly like the old Railroad Post Offices....

I had been trying to book the handicap room for weeks.......no luck booked for all the days around my travel date. It was suggested to book family room. Did so for me and my wife. This will be interesting.

I LOVED the family room. The windows are small but adequate :) . Lots of room to stretch out. Only ONE plug to use though. It didnt seem to be noisier or bumpier to me at all.

And don't feel guilty- it is your money!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back