Can I use points + dollars on autotrain

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leacrane

Train Attendant
I thought when Amtrak guest rewards went to the "new system" one could book a train with points and money if you don't have enough points to cover. I"m trying to book online I used both the mobile app and desktop. I clicked points......a dialog box came up saying "you don't have enough points for this trip, select dollars" ( something like that)

Do I have to pay with my $$$ or am I missing something?
THanks

Unless something has changed recently, one is unable to combine points and cash. If you are short just a few points, you could purchase points. Also, if you are booking a round trip, possibly use points one way and cash the other way.

gee, thanks for the quick answer. I remember that amtrak promoted "you can use points and cash" under the new scheme. I saw it on an old webpage earlier. Appreciate your suggestion but I'll probably pay cash and bank the points.....the price of buying more points, at least the amount I need didn't seem to be worth it. tx

Back