Can we use squeegees on the outside of windows?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're taking the Cardinal this week for the first time, solely for the epic view (and train feeling of course). I've read here that the Cardinal windows can be very dirty, and have seen that problem on many trains, understandably. On the Empire Builder we saw a guy who did not appear to be an Amtrak employee squeegeeing the outside of some SSL windows and people cheered. I really think he was just a guy who brought his own squeegee. Should we bring one or will we be hollered at or jailed?

I bring along my own rags to clean my lower-level Superliner windows. The dirt is very greasy, and will ruin an Amtrak washcloth.

For the Cardinal, you would need either a high-level platform (at a stop where there is time to get off) or a long pole to clean your windows.

(snip)

For the Cardinal, you would need either a high-level platform (at a stop where there is time to get off) or a long pole to clean your windows.

I can't imagine that Bayern Munich would allow Robert Lewandowski the time off, though.

On the Crescent (NYP>NOL) during the Washington, DC stop, I used a washcloth from our bedroom to clean our window!

View attachment 25716
Classic! Love it. as always, everything has a cost attached to it, but at the very least… If Amtrak could have someone washing their windows at a station, or have a train wash done at the beginning of each journey, it sure would make for a better experience… Especially in the observation car!

Pipe dreams, I know…But it doesn’t hurt to wish 😇

Classic! Love it. as always, everything has a cost attached to it, but at the very least… If Amtrak could have someone washing their windows at a station, or have a train wash done at the beginning of each journey, it sure would make for a better experience… Especially in the observation car!

Pipe dreams, I know…But it doesn’t hurt to wish 😇
It would be even better if they could ensure that trains do not start from their originating station with filthy windows, that would be nice too. 🤷‍♂️

You can just use scrunched up damp newspaper or damp paper hand towels to clean the widows on the platform side. Beware of waving poles of any description around near overhead high voltage cables!!!
You can add a tiny amount of liquid soap to help cut through the grease from the engine fumes.
Given that scenery is one big attraction for riding the trains, it is very short sighted of Amtrak to neglect the window cleaning... (no pun intended.) ;)

Back