Can you leave upper bunk down during day in Roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kate

I can't sit upright for very many hours before my back hurts. I'd like to lay down throughout the day on a long trip (2 days) in my private roomette (just 1 person). I've heard that amtrak does not want you to make beds in the day times. Anyone have an opinion? If I can keep it down, can I also store a bag on it too?

Your room you can have it any way you want.

Can you climb up to the top bunk? Some like to sleep up high and move back to the bottom for sitting.

Only issues is on the last day the Sleeping car staff would like to make the bed before the last stop.

It depends on the SCA. I tend to be up late, wanting to sit in the seat. Sometimes I like to get up in the middle of the night, and sit also. Only once in many trips did the SCA say he has to move the upper bunk in the down position himself. Even then in the middle of the night, I moved the upper bunk to the upper position.

Wanting the upper bunk made up for sleeping isn't a big deal. I wouldn't think so. One of the things they need to do is connect the belts so you don't accidently roll out of bed, drop to the floor.

I travel solo and take my luggage with me for the other seat.

Bruce-SSR

one other thing worth mentioning, with the upper bunk in the down position, it doesn't leave allot of head room to sit.

Bruce-SSR

I am wondering.. if I had the only SCA who WOULDNT let me move the upper bunk by myself?? :)

Bruce-SSR

I once laid down the entire trip I had on the Sunset. I had a bad URI and was running a 102 fever. In fact it was in that configuration practically bumper to bumper.

one other thing worth mentioning, with the upper bunk in the down position, it doesn't leave allot of head room to sit.

Bruce-SSR
I was wondering about this as well. Is there enough room under the Roomette seats on the Viewliner and the Superliner Sleeping Cars for a small piece of luggage?

The luggage I take is about 30+ (31-33?) inches tall sometimes. I had no problem with lowering the upper bunk and having my luggage sitting on the seat.

Bruce-SSR

No. I can barely fit folding shoulder luggage under the seats. And once the bed is set, there is no way to access them! If you are traveling alone, you can easily store them in the unused upper berth.

The way you want your room set up anytime of the day or night does not depend at all on the SCA wishes. You can have the bed down whenever you wish, you PAID for it. It is reasonable that the SCA wants to make the room up before the final destination.

On the Superliners, a 25" roller bag will fit on the step to the upper berth. Of course it would be in your way if you want to get into the upper. :wacko:

Superliners again, a 9 " x 23 " x 24" bag will fit under the seats, however as stated above, you cannot get to it with the lower berth made up!

I never liked it when passengers opened up their own berth (IT'S NOT A BUNK!!!!!!!) because I was always afraid they would pinch their fingers in the latch. If the lower berth mattress has been made and rolled for storage in the upper, it's very easy to undo the SCA's work, meaning that it would have to be re-done. That's something the SCA won't particularly like. It's true that you CAN put down the upper by yourself, but I always preferred to do it for the passenger. In the old days, a berth key was required, and that was largely because of the fear that passengers might injure themselves. If the upper berth is in use but the lower area is set up as seating, the SCA will have to find someplace to put the lower berth mattress. That's not always easy if the car is full.

BUT..... since the original question involved a physical difficulty unique to this passenger, the whole issue takes on a different hue. Faced with such a situation, I, as the SCA, would always do whatever is necessary to set things up so that the passenger is comfortable. So I'll repeat what I've said here many times: If you have a special situation or a special request, talk it over with the SCA. Between the two of you, you should have no trouble coming up with a plan that works for you both.

I never liked it when passengers opened up their own berth (IT'S NOT A BUNK!!!!!!!) because I was always afraid they would pinch their fingers in the latch. If the lower berth mattress has been made and rolled for storage in the upper, it's very easy to undo the SCA's work, meaning that it would have to be re-done. That's something the SCA won't particularly like. It's true that you CAN put down the upper by yourself, but I always preferred to do it for the passenger. In the old days, a berth key was required, and that was largely because of the fear that passengers might injure themselves. If the upper berth is in use but the lower area is set up as seating, the SCA will have to find someplace to put the lower berth mattress. That's not always easy if the car is full.

BUT..... since the original question involved a physical difficulty unique to this passenger, the whole issue takes on a different hue. Faced with such a situation, I, as the SCA, would always do whatever is necessary to set things up so that the passenger is comfortable. So I'll repeat what I've said here many times: If you have a special situation or a special request, talk it over with the SCA. Between the two of you, you should have no trouble coming up with a plan that works for you both.
In the beginning, not realizing I was sleeping on both mattresses. I unrolled the mattress, put the hooks for the belts into the ceiling. I never had the SCA comment that I just used both mattresses. Sometimes the extra mattress is rolled in the compartment over the door.

Bruce-SSR

The last time I was in a roomette, I heard something disturbing.

The couple in the room next to me told the SCA:

"We'd like our ALL of our meals in the room during the next two days"

"We'll make our own beds and we'll keep the the beds down all the time"

"Please don't knock unless its meal time, we will be naked most of the time"

I didn't see the couple. They kept their words and never came out during the

next two days. (well, I guess they could have while I was in the dining car

during meals) I chatted with the SCA about them. She speculated that the

couple was on their honeymoon or something. Unfortunately, I basically

confirmed this because I overheard them "exercising" in their room. They

"exercised" a LOT. I pretty much kept my headphones on during the day

and had my earplugs in at night. :(

Is there enough room under the Roomette seats on the Viewliner and the Superliner Sleeping Cars for a small piece of luggage?
There's really not much room and, more importantly, the area under the seats can get rather disgusting. Even if it would fit I wouldn't want my luggage down there collecting a sticky mess.

The way you want your room set up anytime of the day or night does not depend at all on the SCA wishes. You can have the bed down whenever you wish, you PAID for it. It is reasonable that the SCA wants to make the room up before the final destination.
In theory you can have it your way right away anytime you want. In actual practice sometimes the SCA insists on doing it themselves on their own schedule. Not always but it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering about this as well. Is there enough room under the Roomette seats on the Viewliner and the Superliner Sleeping Cars for a small piece of luggage?
Viewliner - I wouldn't even try. Viewliners have a nice big storage bin over the hallway between the rooms. It will hold two good-size suitcases.

Superliner - I've put a small gym bag/tote bag under the seats, but it's a tight squeeze. And if you need anything in the middle of the night, it's almost impossible to get to. As boxcarsyix says, you can fit a good-size (25") suitcase on the step to the upper berth. Makes it a bit difficult to get up and down, but it's still possible. Any other luggage I customarily put in the downstairs luggage rack, or send as checked baggage.

Hi Kate,

A bit like trip advisor, you can get too many conflicting accounts to make an informed decision...

You can have your room as you like... if you ask the attendant to leave the top berth in a sleeping condition for the whole ride they will do so. Another option is to leave the lower berth made as a bed. You can use it as a sort of daybed, sit or recline or lie down as you feel the need. There is very little floor space once the lower berth is in the sleeping configuration, but it might suit your needs.

What I tend to do is put the upper bunk at 45 degrees, and store any extra cases above. The 45 degree angle creates plenty of headroom for the lower berth too.

99% of staff are fine to get along with, you might meet the odd awkward one but if they have less work to do by not putting beds up and down I imagine they will be happy!

Ed :cool:

I learned to ask the SCA to keep the upper berth down all the time for me, just to keep and organize my stuff. I still slept on the lower berth, so did not disturb the second set of bedding.

I did have to train myself to duck for low headroom, but one good bonk is a great incentive.

On the superliners at least, it's fairly easy to slide the seats together to make a flat place to take a nap, without making up the bed. You'll have pillow(s) available all the time, whether the bed(s) are made up for sleeping or not.

I'm 6 ft tall. I have been in Superliner roomettes and Viewliner roomettes. This is my own personal experience. I like to sleep with the top berth down and the seats remaining upright during the night. Being totally ADHD, I can only sleep a couple hours at a time on a train, and then I want to sit and look out the window.

I never considered headroom. Just hasn't been an issue to me. My height only played an uncomfortable role on the top bunk of the Superliner. It ain't called the "Coffin" for nuthin'! I physically couldn't turn around up there. If I didn't like head forward, I would have to get down, and climb back up the other way. Don't like the lack of windows on the Superliner, either, hence really liking the bottom in seat mode if I wanted to stare out the window.

Same configuration on the Viewliner. BUT, with the windows up there, it didn't necessitate having to spend as much time in the seats as it did on the Supeliner. That being said, even as a solo traveller, you find out that the lavatory in the room isn't all that great. Especially when you're enjoying the scenery and suddenly you're stopped at a station. Nuff said. Hope the honeymooners were just as diligent with their exterior curtains as they were with their interior ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back