Can you ship you luggage ahead of you

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sam the Cat

My girl friend will be in NYC for a conference and I will be joining for a weeks cruise then we are taking the LSL back to Buf. When I meet her in NYC can we checked her baggage to BUF then and have them hold them there for us until we get back a week later? We do not mind pyaing a storeage fee it would make our lives simpler since this suitecase contains work clothles instead of play clothles which I will be brining with me

Yeah, I agree with Gingee. I'd call Amtrak, and I also might check with the Buffalo station. I know stated Amtrak policy is there is a storage fee if luggage is not picked up within three days of its arrival. However, I don't know how far in advance you can check your luggage - I know they take it at least 2-3 days early, and maybe more than that. But I would check with Amtrak.

I would not gamble with that. Even though I would trust AMTRAK, you really want your stuff sitting around a station for 7 days?

Why not try shipping it via UPS ground with a 'hold at office" Or maybe to General Delivery USPS.

Better yet, take it on the cruise. You drop it at the pier, they deliver and pickup to/from your room, no worries. How much easier is that -- and no hassle trying to get to the station, convincing the agent to take the bag only, making sure the receiving station knows what is going on, then get back to the pier, and having to worry about the whole thing when you should be having a blast on your cruise.

Have done this frequently as my home station only offers baggage service mon-fri. We once shipped our luggage ahead to Seattle two days before our departure, and wondering all the time if it would be there. It certainly was and they held it for two days. I believe it is a three day max hold then they charge for storage. I also did it coming home from Reno shipping one day ahead of my departure. The station agent said he didn't know what would happen when it got to Chicago as there were problems that day with the LSL. On returning I went to the station on Monday to pick up and it wasn't there! The agent said perhaps it was shipped thru to Boston and would be returning on the westbound train that day. I gave her my cell number and she did call to say it wasn't there. I began to worry. On tuesday I figured I would head in to see if it had arrived from the eastbound lsl the night before. My cell phone rang on the way in and it was the agent saying it had indeed arrived the night before but the lsl was late and she didn't want to call that late. When I picked it up I remarked that Amtrak never seems to misplace luggage like th airlines, and she said she had heard that from many different people. I also tip the agents which they seem to really like, as I don't believe it happens that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back