Canada coast to coast dream trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband and I did our bucket list traincation in summer 2019: WAS to NYP, Maple Leaf to Toronto, VIA Prestige class to Vancouver, Cascades to PDX, Empire Builder Portland to CHI, Cardinal back to northern Virginia. It was spectacular.
For us, the Prestige class was well worth it. The rooms are beautiful, comfortable and well appointed. Great food, beverages all day/night, wonderful views in the park car with exclusive access during the mornings and afternoons. The room was so nice that we could have stayed there all day, but the park car was fabulous, with the downstairs bar, lounge area at the end of the train, and upstairs observation seating. So we spent much of our time there.
But, the kicker in my opinion was the service. I don't know if anything has changed since the pandemic, but I have to say that Prestige set the standard for excellent customer service in travel. All of our needs were cared for, starting and ending with my husband's mobility issues that required transport between the station and train car. Prestige class car attendants catered to us constantly and were very helpful and knowledgeable.The car windows, which started out clean, were washed in Winnipeg and Jasper (hello Amtrak, are you listening?). The VIA rail people we met and got to know genuinely seemed to like their jobs. The entire experience seemed well-thought-through and top notch.
We were fortunate to be able to afford it, and would have done it again given the chance.
rick in Canadian room.jpg
window washer (2019_09_07 17_36_44 UTC).jpg

Took Prestige class in May of 2018 from Toronto to Jasper. It was 24 hours late:). Since I assume everyone on this site is a rail fan in some way, I feel safe to say the trip was worth it and I would recommend it. For the general population I would be more cautions as many people simply would not enjoy the train that much in any class of service (difficult to imagine, but very, very true).

As for the OP and his dream journey... I would suggest taking The Canadien to Jasper and then one of the Rocky Mountaineer services on to Vancouver (either via Banff or the one via Whistler). It will only add a few thousand dollars more to the price :)

For those that have been on Prestige Class recently I'm curious how the rooms are holding up? Is VIA slowly letting them decay, or are they replacing carpet when needed, and fixing this and that? Did they ever replace the in-room minibar with the correct refrigerators? When the cars were rebuilt, they mistakenly installed coolers, not refrigerators... so when I traveled it was not stocked.

Last edited:
Just for "fun", I looked up Prestige fares for Toronto-Vancouver one way. Next week, they are C$12,000 for two people. In darkest late January 2023, they drop to - wait for it - C$11,000 for two.

I might also note that Prestige was sold out on every train in July.

The trips I took in the early 2010's were just over C$1,100 for two in a Sleeper Plus cabin.

via.png
That was for one of two people.

Last edited:
Has anyone taken the Canadian in the last few months? Curious how well the traditionally high standards of service have been holding up. Both times I did it, we were accompanied by a passenger service director that took care of problems quickly. He/she popped into the Park car about an hour before dinner with a free drink service. The first night was bubbly, the second local wines, and the third local beers. While the servings were small they kept refilling them generously. They also served some small hors d'oeuvres, nothing remarkable but a nice touch.

One thing to consider about Prestige class. In an Amtrak full-size bedroom, the lower bed is larger and can accomodate two reasonably friendly people. The VIA Rail "Bedroom for Two" is well designed and comfortable, but it is smaller than the Amtrak bedroom, and the beds are true bunks. The Prestige class is the only way to get a bed that sleeps two. Not sure if that alone justifies the cost (as if it could be justified) but something to consider.

Finally, for anyone thinking about the trip and hasn't taken it, may I recommend this excellent if long video. Don't get turned off by the somewhat dated music, stick with it at least through the departure scene about two minutes in. It really captures the essence of the trip, where you spend long hours just staring at the scenery.

Thanks for the video. I am taking the trip early next month with my 26 year old son. We are staying in a section and hope to get access to the Park Car.

Hopefully the service will be similar as you experienced. My son will be very happy if section passengers also get to sample local beers and wine.

Sections are a real bargain. I'm not sure what the Park car rules will be then. They are pretty strict in the summer but I've heard they relax them a lot depending on how full the train is during off peak. In any case you should be able to go to the Park car middays and evenings, and the very nice bar will be open. And when the Park dome is closed, I think you can also use the coach dome and get drinks and snacks from the coach cafe attendant. The coach dome is surprisingly empty, I don't think they get many coach passengers. In any case you'll have a great time. Just don't book any flights out of Vancouver for at least 24 hours after!

Looking forward to your trip report.

We've been considering a trip across Canada on the Canadian in Prestige Class for some time. We can afford it, but are having issues justifying the cost. Based on your experience, what justifies the cost in your mind?
Thanks
Nothing justifies the cost of Prestige. It flat is not worth it.

You get the same meals, the same views, much of the same access (all the access if on the off season) with Sleeper Plus at about 1/3rd the cost of Prestige.

By all means, take a trip on the Canadian, it is a wonderful train. But do it in Sleeper Plus.

Sections are a real bargain. I'm not sure what the Park car rules will be then. They are pretty strict in the summer but I've heard they relax them a lot depending on how full the train is during off peak. In any case you should be able to go to the Park car middays and evenings, and the very nice bar will be open. And when the Park dome is closed, I think you can also use the coach dome and get drinks and snacks from the coach cafe attendant. The coach dome is surprisingly empty, I don't think they get many coach passengers. In any case you'll have a great time. Just don't book any flights out of Vancouver for at least 24 hours after!

Looking forward to your trip report.
The absolute Park car restrictions during daylight hours are only during peak season. Sleeper Plus officially has full access during the off season, the only restriction is the first 1-3 rows in the dome are reserved for Prestige.

During the high season there is always at least one Skyline for Sleeper Plus in addition to the one for coach. Even in the off season, there is usually a Sleeper Plus Skyline, although it is often not staffed.

The best space on VIA for an older couple travelling together is what used to be called a drawing room. They have two lower berths, forming an L-shaped sleeping area, and one upper. They're found in Chateau sleepers and non-Prestige Park cars - neither of which are usually offered on the Canadian during peak seasons. This encourages the sale of Prestige class. They are offered on the Hudson Bay service, sold as a Cabin for 3, and are scheduled to return to the Ocean, sold as a Large Cabin for 2. With the reconfiguration of the Ocean's Budd consist though, the Park car is impractical leaving a Chateau as the only option.
Unconverted non-Prestige Chateaus are largely gone from the Canadian. The normal Sleeper Plus cars are almost exclusively Manors that do not have a Drawing Room ("Cabin for 3") although they do have the somewhat larger Compartment (room F, sold as a regular "Cabin for 2"). This especially applies in the off season, when consists are much shorter and there are plenty of Manors to go around.

The Canadian runs exclusively Prestige Park cars in all seasons, that have Prestige rooms and an Accessible room. They no longer have Drawing Rooms. Unconverted Parks do not run on it under normal conditions any time of year. That is not to say an unconverted Park may not be pressed into service if a Prestige Park is unexpectedly bad ordered, though I am unaware of any actual instances of it.

You get the same meals, the same views, much of the same access (all the access if on the off season) with Sleeper Plus at about 1/3rd the cost of Prestige.

By all means, take a trip on the Canadian, it is a wonderful train. But do it in Sleeper Plus.

Let me put it another way. A few weeks ago I asked my wife if she would like to take The Canadian again from Toronto to Jasper and her reply was “In Prestige Class”?

Definitely agree for those of us looking up at it. But plenty of people looking down and just get the best available option regardless of price. Note previous comment that Prestige appears to be sold out most of the summer.

I had the chance to take some cruises during the 2008/2010 depression and got some incredible values. But now I look at the upper class lines, and the fancy options on mid priced lines like NCL and am amazed at what they can charge. My sister takes exactly one cruise a year on the ACL (American) line that start at $6k pp for a week and go up quickly from there. She knows what she likes and that's her annual splurge.

If VIA has figured out how to run a luxury train, more power to them. Wish we could figure out how to keep one running in the US!

Well, as a straight value proposition, the cost is not worth the value add, IMHO. What you actually get that you don't get in Sleeper Plus is a bigger bed, a tv, first crack at dinner reservations, hors d'oeuvres and free liquor. Plus exclusive access during daytime to the Park during peak season (off peak the Park is open to Sleeper Plus). Hors d'oeuvres, free booze and a tv I wouldn't use aren't worth thousands of dollars to me.

Amtrak needs to match the service quality and consistency in Sleeper Plus. They are light years away from that.

I took the Canadian several times pre-Prestige, and each time the front seats in the Park dome were taken over by squatters who left their books and coats on the seats to mark possession. My wife wouldn't let me bellyache to the attendant. Last month I attempted to book the accessible room in the Park car for a trip from Vancouver to Toronto, but was subjected to a chase-the-phone game by VIA agents who had no idea how to do that. Gave up the idea.

Well, as a straight value proposition, the cost is not worth the value add, IMHO. What you actually get that you don't get in Sleeper Plus is a bigger bed, a tv, first crack at dinner reservations, hors d'oeuvres and free liquor. Plus exclusive access during daytime to the Park during peak season (off peak the Park is open to Sleeper Plus). Hors d'oeuvres, free booze and a tv I wouldn't use aren't worth thousands of dollars to me.

Amtrak needs to match the service quality and consistency in Sleeper Plus. They are light years away from that.

How many Prestige rooms are in the Park Car?

and. …. Are they only in the Park Car?

I am trying to figure out how many Prestige passengers will be on my May 6 Vancouver departure and May 10 Jasper departure.

I think my section is in the closest car one can be to the Park Car.

Does this mean the car or maybe cars between my section and the Park Car are all Prestige rooms?

As mentioned by @zephyr17 above, VIA has converted some Chateau sleepers to Prestige. The last consist I saw (about a month ago) had only one of these, between the Park car and the remainder of the train.
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know the number of Prestige Rooms available in each of the Park Car and Chateau Car.

I found some information on the cars on the Via Website but I don’t see information or diagrams indicating the number of Prestige Rooms. The Park Car information I found indicated three double bedrooms one triple bedroom. The Chateau show a mixture of everything.

This rather fuzzy image should give some perspective on the Chateau. I didn't find a floorplan either. If you look at the window configuration it's not hard to tell where the original roomettes and drawing room were located.

View attachment 28139
So six rooms plus maybe three in the Park Car. Max Prestige pax count would be 18 if all are sold out. I think they only opened up for sale around the same time they opened up the section I booked, which was not that long ago. There should be plenty of opportunities to get a seat in the Park Car and meet fellow travellers.

So six rooms plus maybe three in the Park Car. Max Prestige pax count would be 18 if all are sold out. I think they only opened up for sale around the same time they opened up the section I booked, which was not that long ago. There should be plenty of opportunities to get a seat in the Park Car and meet fellow travellers.
They add another car for the summer, increasing capacity to 15 rooms IIRC. Having travelled several times in May myself, I doubt it will affect your dates. May is an ideal time to go - still some snow in the mountains, kids are usually in school and the cost is about half-way between low and peak seasons.

I’ve got a fantasy trip I’d love to take, because Canada has always been one of my two favorite non-US countries. It’s only a fantasy, not even a “dream”, as I define those terms, because practically speaking there’s no chance it’ll ever happen, but I can still fantasize about it.

I’d get to Halifax from Greenville, SC, by train. See Halifax. Then do Halifax-Montreal. Lay over a few days there cuz I’ve never seen Montreal. Then any sensible Montreal-Toronto. Lay over again, maybe visit the hockey hall of fame. Then Toronto-Jasper. Lay over there a few days. Can’t beat that scenery! Then finish up Jasper-Prince Rupert. Ideally I’d do the Toronto-Jasper leg in Prestige class just to see how good it is and to say I’d done it. After that, I’d take ferries back down to the US and who cares where I go or how I do it after that?! But it’d be by train, that’s for sure!

One possible variation I’d like to tack on would be to split the Canadian at Winnipeg and sandwich in a round trip to Churchill. I’ve never seen polar bears in the wild and the only time I ever saw the northern lights was so long ago, I barely remember it. I’d love to do those two things on this fantasy trip!

I know this trip would cost me some expense, but it’s my fantasy trip! Actually, the two factors that would most influence the final cost would be 1) if I could book Toronto-Jasper in Prestige vs “regular” first class; and 2) the alimony taking this trip at all would cost me!

Anyone else have any fantasy trips you’d like to talk about? Any thoughts on mine? Including just how monumentally stupid the idea really is?😝

I'm late to the conversation here, but definitely I think you should try to move this trip, or at least some of it, from the realm of fantasy into reality.

We have made the trip from Toronto to Vancouver (or vice versa) four times in the past decade in Sleeper Plus class and loved it -- even when the train was absurdly late. As these trips were all in the winter, we shared the dome, lounge and dining areas with Prestige passengers and gained a pretty good sense of what that class offers.

If you'll only make the trip once and can figure out how to afford it, I'm sure Prestige class would deliver a wonderful, memorable experience. The Prestige rooms are beautifully redone and have huge windows, the service is first-rate, and the cocktails look splendid.

But if you can't or don't want to spend that kind of money, you can still have a great trip in Sleeper Plus at a fraction of the cost. On our last trip in 2019, we had two lower berths and an upper -- wider, more comfortable beds than anything on Amtrak -- and we ate the same entrees and desserts as Prestige passengers and had full access to the Park car except for the first two or three rows of seats in the dome. We also had the use of the Skyline dome several cars ahead.

To me, the Canadian is the best long-distance rail travel experience left in North America, and I credit VIA for maintaining a level of on-board service that preserves the sense of being on a legendary train.

To me, the Canadian is the best long-distance rail travel experience left in North America, and I credit VIA for maintaining a level of on-board service that preserves the sense of being on a legendary train.
Just if Amtrak could do the same and make their long-distance trains special again. Maybe in another lifetime..

Back