Canadian and Ocean cancelled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When is Canadian Labor Day?
Labour Day in Canada is the same day as Labor Day in the U.S., a legacy of international unions. Attached is a menu from an international meeting in Portland, Oregon in 1923. The guests included British and Canadian labor leaders. It was an AFofL event, so the menu should meet the standards of dining car fans in this website. The event seems to have been calendared to take advantage of Columbus Day and Canadian Thanksgiving coinciding,

1923-Banquet-b.jpg

Last edited:
Some folks have dual citizenship, but not many....I imagine that means they can cross the border at will (for "essential purposes", of course)...?

I have Canadian friends with Green Cards who have a home in Toronto. They have retired this Spring and would like to return to Canada. They are reluctant to try currently because they anticipate being turned away at the Border by Canadian Immigration.

I have Canadian friends with Green Cards who have a home in Toronto. They have retired this Spring and would like to return to Canada. They are reluctant to try currently because they anticipate being turned away at the Border by Canadian Immigration.
Having a 'green card' is not the same as dual citizenship...it can lead to it, however....
Both US and Canada law allow you to become a naturalized citizen of the other, while still retaining your original citizenship.

Do I understand correctly that schools in Quebec are reopening on Monday?
You are correct. Elementary schools in Quebec open today, except for Montreal.

From Canadian Press this morning:
"Quebec, which accounts for more than half of the country's novel coronavirus cases, is reopening elementary schools and daycares outside the Montreal area.

Students will be subject to physical distancing and frequent handwashing while school officials follow public health guidelines for cleaning and disinfection."

Montreal is delaying until the 25th.

You are correct. Elementary schools in Quebec open today, except for Montreal.

From Canadian Press this morning:
"Quebec, which accounts for more than half of the country's novel coronavirus cases, is reopening elementary schools and daycares outside the Montreal area.

Students will be subject to physical distancing and frequent handwashing while school officials follow public health guidelines for cleaning and disinfection."

Montreal is delaying until the 25th.
Thanks for that information. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Quebec school opening's have been pushed back to Monday May 25 at the earliest...
The high schools and Colleges and universities wont open till after labour day...

Oops ! Sorry I guess somehow I got the dates mixed up !
Elementary schools "outside" of Montreal are opening today.
Sorry about that!!! :):):)

Although the Canadian returns in November.....there will be no Sleeper Class or Prestige until January 1, 2021.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-advisory-information
"VIA Rail’s Toronto - Vancouver route will be offering Economy class as of November 1. Sleeper Plus and Prestige classes will be available as Jan 1, 2021"

It makes sense.....people are just not travelling for pleasure. Essential travel only.

Nothing 'yet' about Sleeper Class not being available when the Ocean returns November.

And Masks are mandatory now for employee on trains and in stations and will be for all passengers starting June 23.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/covid-19

Although the Canadian returns in November.....there will be no Sleeper Class or Prestige until January 1, 2021.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/travel-advisory-information
"VIA Rail’s Toronto - Vancouver route will be offering Economy class as of November 1. Sleeper Plus and Prestige classes will be available as Jan 1, 2021"

It makes sense.....people are just not travelling for pleasure. Essential travel only.

Nothing 'yet' about Sleeper Class not being available when the Ocean returns November.

And Masks are mandatory now for employee on trains and in stations and will be for all passengers starting June 23.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/covid-19
One has to wonder how they'll handle food service on the resumed coach-only train. Hopefully it will be more than the one snack and bottle of water currently being supplied on other LD trains. That already seemed inadequate for the Churchill and Northern Quebec routes.

Also, did you catch the minor wording change in the latest Corridor summary? "Business class service is no longer be offered on any of our routes.", removing the reference to until November 1. (The key to the edit is in the awkward grammar. ;))

Edited to add: I notice you can purchase Corridor Business Class starting August 19, although this may be a case of the reservation system not being updated.

Last edited:
Here is my dumb observation. Why were they not offering an economy class train during this time. Last I checked the Canadian is a rural services train in western Ontario.
I assume that someone in authority at VIA or the Canadian government has determined that the Canadian in northern Ontario is no longer an essential service although they have not said that publicly as far as I know.

An 'Atlantic Bubble' was just announced effective July 3rd that will allow residents of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador to travel within the 4 Atlantic Provinces without having to isolate for 14 days.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-atlantic-bubble-covid19-1.5625133

So I guess an 'Intercity Ocean' could now resume between Halifax and Campbellton......but we all know that's not going to happen ! ;)

Anyone crossing the New Brunswick-Quebec border or coming into the Atlantic Provinces from elsewhere in Canada will still have to isolate for 14 days. The Maine-New Brunswick border remains closed and listening to the Prime Minister......he is in no rush to reopen International borders

An 'Atlantic Bubble' was just announced effective July 3rd that will allow residents of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador to travel within the 4 Atlantic Provinces without having to isolate for 14 days.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-atlantic-bubble-covid19-1.5625133

So I guess an 'Intercity Ocean' could now resume between Halifax and Campbellton......but we all know that's not going to happen ! ;)

Anyone crossing the New Brunswick-Quebec border or coming into the Atlantic Provinces from elsewhere in Canada will still have to isolate for 14 days. The Maine-New Brunswick border remains closed and listening to the Prime Minister......he is in no rush to reopen International borders
According to a recent poll, a clear majority of Canadians don't want the southern border opened before year-end and a shocking number wanted it left closed permanently. Not really sure who they asked... obviously no one who understands economics.

Monday, Sept 7

That's over 2 months away and a lot can happen!

The pop. of the Atlantic provinces is 2.5 million and there's a total of 20 active Covid cases here now...... and even with that the Premiers say they wouldn't hesitate to lock us down again if there's a spike.

If we're locked down.....the US/Can border (in particular Maine-New Brunswick) is not going to reopen.

Last edited:
The pop. of the Atlantic provinces is 2.5 million and there's a total of 20 active Covid cases here now...... and even with that the Premiers say they wouldn't hesitate to lock us down again if there's a spike.
When you quote numbers like that the "bubble" makes a lot more sense. While Ontario's have levelled out on a daily basis, they're still nowhere that low.

According to a recent poll, a clear majority of Canadians don't want the southern border opened before year-end and a shocking number wanted it left closed permanently. Not really sure who they asked... obviously no one who understands economics.
If they just moved the border south a few states, to the Ohio River and the Maryland-Pennsylvania border, it would work out OK economically ;-)

My plan is to trade British Columbia and Alberta for Alaska! Win,Win for both Countries!!!😉😄

I would not want the U. S. to give up Alaska. It's a magnificent State! British Columbia is a very nice Provence as well. Have not yet had the privilege to visit Alberta.

Back