Canadian border reopening; how soon will international railrestored?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, at least one crisis had been averted; the CBSA has reached a deal with the union.

The land border is still going to be a mess on Monday. Watching a couple of news reports......there's a lot of people that just haven't looked at the requirements such as the pre-arrival testing, fully vaccinated for 14 days and uploading all that information to the ArriveCAN App before you get to the border. Then there's those Canadians that think it's open southbound too and are just going to get turned around and sent back by US CBP.....adding to the line-up.

Last edited:
What makes people think the Maple Leaf is going to be killed? I would also help that Amtrak and WDOT (Washington State DOT) would restore at a minimum Seattle-Bellingham service before the return of college in September as Bellingham is a big college town on the Seattle-Vancouver route.

There is currently nowhere the Cascades would be allowed to park the trainset while waiting to turn and run back to Seattle. I've asked this same question.

I'm looking forward to when they resume the Cascades because that morning train from Seattle has some of the best scenery in the entire system north of the Empire Builder route. I would love to do that in a dome car.

I could see the Maple Leaf returning but what always baffled me is why Amtrak didn't market the stops it made on the Canadian side of the border. You would think that would give you a few additional riders each day with the addition of all those city pairings.

I loved when we were even running Superliner sets to Canada on the morning up/evening back. It certainly made for a beautiful commute!

So far this is a one-way street. The U.S. has not opened it’s northern border. How does this impact returning U.S. citizens or trains has not been made clear.

This is one of the things that has really irritated me... American politicians pushed Canada to open the border, but they won't push for reciprocation by the US? And we wonder why many countries think American politicians are full of themselves.

Right. US Citizens and Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) are generally allowed to return home.

Since there are no trains running and none are likely to run possibly until next year, no one has made a train specific statement. I am sure they will when the time comes.

Even if the American side of the border does not reopen to Canadians this month, the Cascades have been slated to resume service to Canada, unless WSDOT changes their mind.

It's not. Both Canada and Mexico land borders are under the same, essential travel only, rules.

The land borders only, yeah. Which how does that make sense?

The land border is still going to be a mess on Monday. Watching a couple of news reports......there's a lot of people that just haven't looked at the requirements such as the pre-arrival testing, fully vaccinated for 14 days and uploading all that information to the ArriveCAN App before you get to the border. Then there's those Canadians that think it's open southbound too and are just going to get turned around and sent back by US CBP.....adding to the line-up.

Yup, it's going to be an absolute disaster both directions. I have a feeling there's going to be quite a few rebookings on my SEA-YVR flight next Thursday too...

I always loved it when I caught a Superliner set to and from Vancouver, too. Much preferred them to the Talgos on that run. Better views, especially when it had Sightseer (rode it at least once when it had a Diner/Lounge instead of a Sightseer) and better seats.

I always loved it when I caught a Superliner set to and from Vancouver, too. Much preferred them to the Talgos on that run. Better views, especially when it had Sightseer (rode it at least once when it had a Diner/Lounge instead of a Sightseer) and better seats.
Slightly off-topic, but I remember when the International had Superliners. They looked impressive parked in Toronto's Union Station.

Slightly off-topic, but I remember when the International had Superliners. They looked impressive parked in Toronto's Union Station.

They looked even more impressive on shortline Goderich-Exeter Railway track via Guelph and Stratford.

What's an Amtrak train doing here?? !

Even if the American side of the border does not reopen to Canadians this month, the Cascades have been slated to resume service to Canada, unless WSDOT changes their mind.
As I said, when the time comes there will be an announcement. So far I have seen nothing. That of course does not mean that there won't be something coming out in the next minute ;)

The current notice posted in the US Federal Register is for border restrictions valid upto August 21st. So I suppose either they can let it lapse on that date or post a new notice with a new date.

Last edited:
As I said, when the time comes there will be an announcement. So far I have seen nothing. That of course does not mean that there won;t be something coming out in the next minute ;)

The current notice posted in the US Federal Register is for for border restrictions valid upto August 21st. So I suppose either they can let it lapse on that date or post a new notice with a new date.

I know what you said. I'm trying to give the insight of someone "in the know" that WSDOT is anxious to get service rolling again, with or without the US side being open to Canadians.

Any updates on this from people who have contacts at WSDOT? The border is open for vaccinated travelers, and I haven't heard anything? We are considering a trip up to Vancouver at the end of the year, but the booking system only shows options with a bus transfer in Seattle.

Any updates on this from people who have contacts at WSDOT? The border is open for vaccinated travelers, and I haven't heard anything? We are considering a trip up to Vancouver at the end of the year, but the booking system only shows options with a bus transfer in Seattle.
US still hasn’t opened to non-essential travel. We went to Canada a week ago and there was hardly anyone crossing, so between those two things, probably not anytime soon. The OBS are bidding right now for October pickups and there’s no Vancouver BC (or even Bellingham) trains to bid on.

US still hasn’t opened to non-essential travel. We went to Canada a week ago and there was hardly anyone crossing, so between those two things, probably not anytime soon. The OBS are bidding right now for October pickups and there’s no Vancouver BC (or even Bellingham) trains to bid on.
You wouldn't want to have people bidding for lines that may not materialize. Much safer to pull from the extras board (or shift junior people around when the time comes, if the union allows that.)

Another employee from the Seattle base on here? Wow!

Honestly, theres no update. The current holdup has to do with dealings with the CBSA, and entry requirements/testing.

Flights across the border have been completely full, and there appears to have enough demand that the Victoria Clipper is resuming.

You wouldn't want to have people bidding for lines that may not materialize. Much safer to pull from the extras board (or shift junior people around when the time comes, if the union allows that.)

They may not force assign new jobs to anyone (as in, push folks in a regular position). Jobs may be ran off the extra forward for a limited amount of time, then must be put up for bid.

Back