Cancelled Via Train

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

StanJazz

Service Attendant
Today I received an email from Via that my train #98 was cancelled. I cancelled it and received my refund over a month ago. My trip was the Lake Shore Limited out of Chicago and then the Maple Leaf to Niagara Falls ON. After 3 days at the falls I was going to Toronto to see the Cubs play the Blue Jays. Of course that trip is out.

Exvalley

Train Attendant
AU Supporter
I feel your pain. I was scheduled to ride the Ocean in May. I rebooked for October. Both were cancelled by VIA Rail.

We were booked on the Canadian for May 31 , that was cancelled . Then we rebooked for October and that was cancelled as well . Just rebooked for next May , hopefully third time is a charm .

manchacrr

Lead Service Attendant
Today I received an email from Via that my train #98 was cancelled. I cancelled it and received my refund over a month ago. My trip was the Lake Shore Limited out of Chicago and then the Maple Leaf to Niagara Falls ON. After 3 days at the falls I was going to Toronto to see the Cubs play the Blue Jays. Of course that trip is out.
As the border between Canada and the United States is currently closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All cross-border trains are cancelled for at least the Canadian portion of the route. The Maple Leaf, for example, is currently running only from New York City to Niagara Falls, NY. The Adirondack is currently only running from New York CIty to Albany. On the West Coast, the Amtrak Cascades service is currently running from Eugene-Springfield to Seattle, with all service between Seattle and Vancouver cancelled.

Rasputin

OBS Chief
From information on another site, it appears that the Ocean may now be cancelled until Jan. 6, 2021 instead of resuming in Nov.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
From information on another site, it appears that the Ocean may now be cancelled until Jan. 6, 2021 instead of resuming in Nov.
Until provincial borders reopen there is no point in running the Ocean if you are required to quarantine for 14 days when you cross into New Brunswick from Quebec.

It's conceivable a Halifax-Moncton-Campbellton Ocean could be operated as that route would be entirely within the 'Atlantic Bubble' where quarantine requirements have been relaxed.

jiml

Conductor
It's conceivable a Halifax-Moncton-Campbellton Ocean could be operated as that route would be entirely within the 'Atlantic Bubble' where quarantine requirements have been relaxed.
I recently heard that same rumour (although just Moncton - Halifax) - possibly starting Nov. or Dec. 1. Are you aware if there's currently a trainset stored in Halifax, or was everything sent back to Montreal at shutdown?

jiml

Conductor
At least they are forward thinking... only time will tell.
Unless the federal government undertakes huge infrastructure spending as part of the pandemic recovery, VIA has no money. Much like Amtrak, to spend money one place will require cuts somewhere else.