Cantara Loop

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ispolkom

Engineer
Looking at my new map of California railroads, I notice an inset map for the Cantara Loop, which is north of Dunsmuir and is where the railroad climbs out of the Sacramento River Valley. It seems in interesting engineering feat, but I've always slept through this part of the route. Should I set my alarm to get up for this?

Okay, first thing is that Cantara is not an actual, full, over-and-under loop like at Tehachapi; more of a big, tight horseshoe curve. Team Whooz drove down to it last summer (not easy to find) to check out this site of an environmental nightmare that resulted from a derailment in 1991. Beautiful from the ground, and a good look at the rest of train if you're riding through in daylight I'd guess, but not sure it's something to set your alarm for in darkness.

Photos: Aerial view of 1991 derailment that spilled toxic chemicals into the Sacramento River (local newspaper photo); plaque now at the site, and heavy barrier built to prevent a recurrence (WhoozPhotos).

i-R2hzFgC-L.jpg
i-J4DrmQZ-M.jpg
i-HwMFfq4-M.jpg

Video of a northbound UP stack train successfully negotiating the curve:

Interesting. Never knew this existed, despite having apparently ridden through here (asleep) on multiple occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back