Cap Ltd to Acela transfer - luggage size?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelticWhisper

Service Attendant
I'm taking the 30 to WAS and switching to the 2172 to head up to PVD next Tuesday. I called in to ask about the CSX derailment and making my connection, and also got on the topic of luggage size restrictions and the semi-recent surcharges put in place for oversize or additional pieces of luggage. The agent (Rosa) said something that concerned me a bit, which was that while some routes impose a $20-per-bag surcharge for oversized or over-count luggage, the Acela "doesn't offer it at all" - thus implying that I wouldn't be able to carry my suitcase on the train, period.

I've taken this exact same piece of luggage on the Acela before with no issues and just stowed it in the baggage cubby near the entrance to the car, but that was in August 2015 which was, IIRC, before the new limits went into effect. Do we think a sleeper-to-first-class transferring passenger is going to be questioned about oversize baggage or are they likely to turn a blind eye? What about boarding the Acela in PVD prior to transferring back to sleeper class on the Cap in WAS? I've heard APD is all over the place in Providence Station, but surely they have better things to do than measure and weigh people's baggage, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
1) I suspect you had a clueless agent (clueless that luggage can be taken on an Acela)

2) APD doesn't care about your luggage other than if it has a bomb in it. The staff at the station and the conductor on the train are the ones who may say something.

I think she was getting at the notion that the Aclea "doesn't offer" any provision for oversize luggage, not that you can't take any luggage at all. Sorry, I didn't really communicate that too clearly. Thoughts on the validity of the agent's claim if that's the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understood what you were saying. You said you've done it before, so obviously there is space for luggage too big for the overheads. I know I've done it on the regionals.

I may run up on this situation next year with a trip on the Acela. Does anyone know the dementions of the over head bins on Acela? I know the luggage size dementions, but not the size of the over head bins. Thanks.

Pay for it if asked, and don't be upset if it does happen. Or, just about the whole situation and have it checked to Providence, though you will have to wait until around 7am the following day to retrieve your bag. Checked baggage gives you a little more leeway over the size. You would be allowed a bag up to 75 linear inches, which is basically the size of all three sides added together. If you check your bag, there is no charge (assuming it's within the size limit.) You could even take the bag within you onboard train 30 (though technically it would have the same restrictions as 2172), and check it when you get to DC. Or check it to DC, retrieve the bag if you needed to get in to it, and re-check it to Providence.

Just some additional options for you!

I'm going the opposite direction and going NYP to CL but am cheap and opted for the NER. I've never had a problem, except once when a wheelchair passenger needed to use the wheelchair space, and the conductor made all the whiny losers move their bags.

I'm going the opposite direction and going NYP to CL but am cheap and opted for the NER. I've never had a problem, except once when a wheelchair passenger needed to use the wheelchair space, and the conductor made all the whiny losers move their bags.
Some crews are really cracking down on that, as they should be. I have probably had less than three passengers in the Cafe with a wheelchair at the ADA table in the three years I have been out here, and it's been made painfully clear to us that we are not to keep our extra supplies there, claiming that someone came after the company because of the improper use of that space. Whether that's true or not I don't know, but... As with other policies, your mileage may vary.

Everyone has a cellphone camera these days. Its not worth trying to get away with something that can't be defended. I've just grown tired of the people who think common sense rules are are for everyone except them. They are everywhere today.

Everyone has a cellphone camera these days. Its not worth trying to get away with something that can't be defended. I've just grown tired of the people who think common sense rules are are for everyone except them. They are everywhere today.
For example, just today... Had someone come up to the counter with the dog (have to give them a point in their favor though, they were literally only the second person to come up with them in the carrier), and while I was serving him I asked if he was sitting in the Cafe car, and he said he was going to for a bit (he boarded in NYP and we hadn't gotten to NRO yet), so I mentioned that due to FDA regulations we can not have pets in the Cafe car, and I shouldn't have served him, blah blah blah. What does he do? Park himself back at his table.

By this point I was already frustrated by something else that was going on, so I opted to wait until after NRO and told the conductor, who told him he needs to leave, and the passenger put up a little bit of a fuss. Iii don't get it. The rules are rules. I was polite the first time, but when you smile and nod, and ignore what I said anyway, I won't be so nice the second time.

Buuut this is getting off-topic! Just another typical day on the road!

There is a 1% chance anyone will say anything about your luggage. Don't sweat it...
It would seem to me that most crew would be hard-pressed to hassle someone about their luggage on the premium service that the company offers and for which a normal fare (or standard AGR redemption) is paid. Unless, of course, a particular crew member delights in playing hall monitor and/or a particular passenger is dragging enough baggage to stage their own rock concert (and perhaps is being a jerk about bringing it along).

On long distance service, I've had Red Caps caution me about having a conductor handle a particular bag because it was overweight, but they were happy to do so themselves. I've also had a conductor assist me with detraining and handling a bag I was pretty sure was overweight and after I initially declined assistance, again with no comment. While rules are rules and there is a reason for their implementation, I've come to the conclusion that the increased baggage restrictions are, when implemented in practice, primarily designed to put a halt to the situation seen with the airlines in the '80s and '90s, where people were bringing everything on board from TVs to novelty sombreros with no regard as to suitability for travel. The restrictions provide for a firm resolution to any questions and can be used to shut down complaints on the spot. But minor violations aren't worth the time and effort to do anything about.

[...] I mentioned that due to FDA regulations we can not have pets in the Cafe car, and I shouldn't have served him, blah blah blah. What does he do? Park himself back at his table.

By this point I was already frustrated by something else that was going on, so I opted to wait until after NRO and told the conductor, who told him he needs to leave, and the passenger put up a little bit of a fuss. Iii don't get it. The rules are rules. I was polite the first time, but when you smile and nod, and ignore what I said anyway, I won't be so nice the second time.
I knew this would be the end result of congresscritters, et al, pushing for Fifi, Bitsy, and Chunk to be allowed onboard regular service. Next thing will be to push for pets other than small dogs and cats and then all of the above on long distance service, which will result in attempts for table service in the dining car. The entitlement mentality is too out of control for these types of things not to happen. Personally I would be embarrassed if a crew member had to admonish me for violating service rules which I had to specifically acknowledge (and pay extra for) when I made my reservation.

APD is all over PVD but they don't care about your luggage.

Are you on FC on Acela? I wouldn't worry about it.

Back