Capitol Corridor departure platform at San Jose Diridon

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

My mom lives in Mendocino County but is staying with me in Santa Cruz to rehab from shoulder surgery. She is planning on going home by taking the 8:05am Capitol Corridor on Sunday from Diridon to Martinez and then taking the Amtrak bus from Martinez to Ukiah. She's delighted to have found a way to go back and forth without driving.

In the past I personally had a bad experience trying to ride the Capitol Corridor because there are no electronic signs (or any kind of signs) to tell you what platform to use for boarding the Amtrak trains, only the Caltrain ones. It's not fun to miss a train.

Does anyone have advice? She will be getting a ride to the station arriving around 7:45am. Will there be a station attendant at that time to tell her what platform to use? Or is there some insider trick to figuring it out that I can share with her?

Thanks for reading.

Capitol Corridors almost always depart from track 2, but I'm not specifically sure about the 8:05am train. There should be an attendant at the desk at that time.

Thank you...your answer was a bit reassuring but then I found this and it seems like there may not be attendants at the station on weekends at all... I don't get how they expect people to ride the train if there's no way to find out where to board. I'm worried about my mom. I just don't get how this system is supposed to work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230316_030355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230316_030355_Chrome.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 0
Amtrak shows the station is open 7 days a week. The building may not be open when you mother arrives, but I'd be surprised if there isn't someone there to help her find the track.

As I recall, if the building is not open, she can go around the right side - by the parking lot - to access the tracks.

Here's the phone number for the station: (408) 287-7462

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/sjc
Have you considered going to the station before her date of departure and check it out?

I don't know. how accurate the times are shown on Yelp, but there is a picture showing a sign with Capitol Corridor's track number.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/san-jose-diridon-caltrain-san-jose

Last edited:
Back