Capitol & Crescent to Atlanta

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVRM610

Conductor
Okay.. finally writing the last trip report from my past expedition.

I arrived in Chicago from the chief, we were about 30 minutes late, I knew I didn't have too much time and I really didn't feel like checking my bag in the lounge so I just rolled it right along with me.... I was ready for starbucks so I walked to the closest one, it's a block away, and even that walk was mighty cold! After I enjoyed my coffee I walked back to the station and checked into the Metropolitan Lounge, a very friendly man checked me in and asked to take my dinner reservation time. I used the wifi a bit, and relaxed, and then about 15 minutes before 6 (the time I was told to be ready to board from the lounge) I made my normal trip to Jamba Juice! Walked back into the lounge just as boarding was announced.... I lined up and then proceeded to the train.

Upon Boarding I made a really stupid mistake... I glanced at my boarding pass and saw the number 6, and went to Roomette 6. I was naturally in room 9, the attendant, Cliff, was very very kind in pointing out this mistake to me. I laughed about it, but I'm still mad at myself for that one! ha.

Cliff came by to welcome me, he greeted me very personably, and asked when I would like my bed turned down. I really like it when the attendants ask this question... I told him I was going for Dinner at 7 and he could turn it down anytime I was away. He also told me he had made some decaf coffee and it would be available along with juice and waters that evening, and that regular coffee would be available in the morning. nice touch Cliff!

The full moon was simply breathtaking as we left Chicago... it was just rising and would hide behind the skyscrapers as we left the station.. it looked like a scene straight out of a movie.

The Cross Country Cafe car was being used as both a diner and lounge for this trip, and seemed to do a great job at that. The LSA and the Cafe car attendant made frequent announcements explaining that both the cafe and the diner were located in separate sections of the same car. They really did a great job of letting people know when/what they were serving, and how the train was set up.

The dining car crew was quite good... I think the LSA's name was Nathan, but I'm not positive. The waiter was also very friendly and service was good. The Capitol has indeed gone back to plastic plates (I was so happy when I rode a little over a year ago and they had real china). Food was fine, I had the Lasagna with a side salad, and cheesecake for dessert. I think I've mentioned it but the side salad is quite nice now, tomatoes, carrots, red onion, and crutons. That's on all the train I rode. Lasagna was fine, nothing special. I sat with a Coach passenger headed to Pittsburgh, and a fellow sleeper passenger headed for New Hampshire.

Returning to my sleeper it had been made up as requested.. complete with plastic wrapped blanket! and I slowly settled in for bed. It was snowing very heavy and I noticed that we were having to make double stops because the stations were only able to clear one narrow pathway from the station to the platform. It was really coming down and the wind was clearly blowing hard. I was glad I was onboard the train!

I woke up once in Ohio... but ultimately had a very nice sleep.

Waking up in the morning I was surprised the train was still on time... I figured the snow would have slowed us down. I got ready, and headed for breakfast... I was seated at a table alone. Had my usual scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, croissant, apple juice, and coffee. It was good as always. When the waiter came to clear my plate I asked if I could get a cup of ice to take with me, he said of course, and brought it right to me. This way I could make a cup of iced coffee from my sleeping car coffee!

Getting back to my room the bed was still down. I had left my door open but since I was at the end of the car Cliff may not have seen it. I converted the room myself and enjoyed the river views and Harpers Ferry from my room. Closer in to DC, Cliff knocked on my door and asked if he could change the sheets on the beds before arrival, and told me I could sit in roomette 7 while he worked. Cliff was the best sleeper attendant I had on this whole set of trips (City, CZ, Chief, Capitol and Crescent). he was so professional and nice.

We arrived into DC about 20 minutes early, I gave Cliff $20 and then headed into DC Union Station.

Ok - big negative - I entered the Club Acela lounge, "NEXT" I walked up and said hello and presented my ticket for the Crescent. She looks at the ticket and says "19 huh?" as if she was surprised anyone would take that train. She then said "Do you want to check a bag?" And I said do you mean in the room? and pointed to the luggage room. and she said, with ALOT of attitude "That room is to be used at your discretion, I'm asking if you want to check a bag in the baggage car of the train you are riding" and I just looked at her and said no.

I've mentioned this before but I really can't stand all the signs posted saying "no outside food or beverage" what good is a lounge if you can't use it for a snack? (other than goldfish crackers).

Anyways.. I stored my bag, grabbed a coffee at Starbucks, and headed out to explore Union Station. Love seeing the improvements happen little by little. So impressive. I decided to try the mediteranian restaurant in the station for lunch, was a good choice, I had a falafel wrap and it was just right. A nice light lunch (it's next to the shake shack on the main floor).

It was wayyyy too cold to explore like I usually do so I visited the postal museum. Had a really great time, and since I had all afternoon, and the place was almost empty, I could really take my time and enjoy it.

I did walk around the front of the station on my walk back to take some pictures, and then headed inside. Explored the mall a little bit and of course.... stopped by Jamba Juice! (noticing a pattern?). Headed back to the lounge, grabbed my bag, got online for a few minutes until they called for the Crescent.

The lounge leader must have been quick because me and another man got left behind... but another Amtrak employee took us to the gate... down the escalators and down the platform to the 1911 car.

My attendant came by shortly, asked if I had ridden before, I told him many times. He then said something sort of strange. He said "well when it's time to put your bed down please let me know, I know you've ridden before but let's be safe" Is putting an Amtrak bed down really that dangerous? And I had never acted like I wanted to do it (I really don't like to). But anyways he also told me as soon as we left I could go to the diner, and that he had coffee, juice, water, and ice out and that I should help myself anytime.

After departing DC (about 15 minutes late I think, it seemed like it took a long time to change power) I headed for the diner. The diner was the refurbished green interior style. I was seated with a very nice couple who also like trains. BEST DINING CAR CREW by far! Deborah was the LSA, I think the Waiter was Alvin, and the chef was also outstanding. For dinner I ordered the Tilapia, with mashed potatoes and a side salad. The same dish I had 2 nights ago on the Chief. It was fine on the chief... looked and tasted like a cafeteria dish. On the crescent... it looked and tasted like a real restaurant dish! Even the Mashed potatoes tasted better. To top it off I ordered cheesecake for dessert, and he plated it in a dish with the strawberry preserves around the cheesecake like a sauce, and an actual strawberry cut in quarters like a flower sitting on top. A little presentation goes a long way and let me tell you this made all the difference. It just goes to show you how if people actually care, they can still make it nice.

After dinner I sat in my room enjoying the night scenery until about 9, I opened my curtain and door and soon enough the attendant walked through, I told him I was ready and he set me up.

I set my alarm so I could be in the diner right about 7 so I could enjoy breakfast before Atlanta. We were running about 12 minutes late so I took my time getting ready. Was seated at breakfast with a man who was headed to New Orleans to catch the Sunset Limited. He said he usually goes through Chicago, but with all the snow he just wanted to get south as soon as he could! ha.

Breakfast was very nice.. I had the French Toast. It was good. I headed back to the room, which had been placed back into daytime mode and enjoyed the final few miles into Atlanta.

I left my attendant $10.

Upon exiting the elevator a very nice amtrak station agent greeted us.

Had a great trip... and best of all it was all thanks to Amtrak Guest Rewards!

Back