Capitol Limited #29 & #30 Service Distruption?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just checked the #30 CL status out of CHI for yesterday (6/6) and the #29 CL status to CHI for today (6/7) and both show: "Status is currently unavailable due to a service disruption" The #30 CL departure status from CHI for today (6/7) also shows "Status is currently unavailable due to a service disruption." Can anyone enlighten us as to what’s going on?

Eric & Pat

Norfolk Southern derailment just west of Toledo last night. Freight train hit an abandoned vehicle placed on the tracks resulting in a pileup, downed power line and fire. Capitol and Lake Shore affected both directions.

Not sure what you meant by “another dead body”, but the woman was drunk and left the scene.

A couple of weeks ago on the Texas Eagle we lost 4 hours in Little Rock due to a "dead body in a car on the tracks". Our guess is that this is the new way to dispose of a body after a murder. If hit by a normal freight train at speed it would do a good job of hiding the crime.

Jim

A couple of weeks ago on the Texas Eagle we lost 4 hours in Little Rock due to a "dead body in a car on the tracks". Our guess is that this is the new way to dispose of a body after a murder. If hit by a normal freight train at speed it would do a good job of hiding the crime.

Jim

YIPES. I know it's not the stereotype of that region but....mob hit? (I think now of when I was doing my doctoral fieldwork in some park/natural areas in Illinois, and one of the ones up west of Chicago....well, one of my labmates chirpily noted "Oh, that's where the lake is where the Mafia used to dump bodies!" and I was like "cross that one off the list, cross that one off the list")

I've been on trains where a passenger had a medical emergency and had to be taken off the train to an ambulance; I hope I am never on one where we either hit someone or have someone die on the train.

I've been on trains where a passenger had a medical emergency and had to be taken off the train to an ambulance; I hope I am never on one where we either hit someone or have someone die on the train.
It is pretty awful to be on a train where someone dies - especially if it is a friend. :(

YIPES. I know it's not the stereotype of that region but....mob hit? (I think now of when I was doing my doctoral fieldwork in some park/natural areas in Illinois, and one of the ones up west of Chicago....well, one of my labmates chirpily noted "Oh, that's where the lake is where the Mafia used to dump bodies!" and I was like "cross that one off the list, cross that one off the list")

Unfortunately it does happen. I was on a Wolverine to Chicago which got delayed hours about halfway through... think it was just after leaving Kalamazoo. 20 y o man, committed suicide. I thought we had hit a tree and were running over the branches. Or a bike and maybe some twisted metal. It's not something you forget. Does not deter me from riding the rails, just hope not to experience again.

Years ago on the CZ West bound a man died in the lounge car of a heart attack. He and his brother were on the way to their mothers funeral. We stopped in the middle of nowhere at a grade crossing to remove the body. The brother of course went with his brothers body.

Norfolk Southern derailment just west of Toledo last night. Freight train hit an abandoned vehicle placed on the tracks resulting in a pileup, downed power line and fire. Capitol and Lake Shore affected both directions.
I was on #29 during this fiasco. The derailment was in Swanton, OH, and tore up both mains for 1,000 feet, completely shutting down NS's Chicago Line. We arrived in Chicago over 8 hours late and missed our connection to #5. Amtrak put us up in a ritzy hotel for the night, and luckily I was able to still book a roomette on #5 the following day. However, Amtrak's processing and distribution of the food and hotel vouchers was painfully slow, and took us about two hours to get through.

To avoid the derailment, we were bussed (via school busses!) from Toledo Central Station to Bryan, OH, where Amtrak had turned #30 around via a wye. They then coupled #48 to the end, and proceeded back to Chicago with a very long consist of a renumbered #29 and #49. The wait in Bryan was about 5 hours, as the busses had to make several trips to ferry two full trains worth of passengers.

Then, to add to the fiasco, we had to make two unexpected stops between South Bend and Chicago. The first time we went into emergency braking because an air house had disconnected. The second time was to let EMS evacuate a passenger who had suffered a stroke.

I wonder if this drunken idiot who caused the derailment has any idea of the amount of money this cost Amtrak and NS, as well as the inconvenience to hundreds of travelers. I doubt it. I hope the judge does.

Last edited:
Back