Capitol Limited Changing Sleeper Car Number(s)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
Another Amtrak traveler posted on Facebook that his Capitol Limited Sleeper car number was changed from 3000 to 3002 and he discovered this by trying to print his e-ticket. When he looked up the reservation it said "service cancelled". Since I am traveling on Capitol Limited 29 in early February, I checked my reservation and got the same "service cancelled" message. So I called AGR(Amtrak Guest Rewards) to inquire and the AGR agent confirmed that I had been moved to same roomette number in car 2902 from 2900 and reissued my e-ticket. When I asked she said that car xx00 had been removed for "refurbishing" and most likely the xx02 car was a refurbished car. I did not ask if they still had a 2901 car during my Winter travel. It is possible that xx02 may be the only sleeper on the Capitol Limited during the Winter. I don't know.

Does anyone know what is actually going on? I'm just curious especially since they seem to have just moved all the xx00 reservations same accommodation exactly to the new xx02 car number without any real explanation.

That explanation does not make any sense at all!
default_wacko.png

Car 3000 is not specifically car #xxxx1. It could be car #xxxx2 also. Car 3000 or 3001 or 3002 is only the position the car is on the train related to the Dining Car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Traveler but it appears there will be no sleeper xx00 on these trains and there has never been a xx02 on the Capitol Limited to my knowledge. I guess I'll find out when I travel in February.

That does not explain "removing xx00 car" since everyone in xx00 cars are being relocated to xx02 in the very same accommodation room number or letter.

All they did is change the designations when they removed the transdorm. There is no more "3000/2900" line. It is now 3001/2901 and 2902/3002.

Maybe their hokey website couldn't discern two zeroes!
default_mosking.gif

I'm confused - was the old "3000" the transdorm car or a standard sleeper car that they're just changing the numbers on? I have a reservation on sleeper 3000 in September on the lower level, which wouldn't be possible if it was a transdorm car.
The sleeper line is/was "9". 2909/3009.

Thirdrail, the system has held xx00 car numbers for a very long time so your "hokey" comment does not help this conversation. Whether the transition sleeper was removed or not is not related to this. Nor does your comment "The sleeper line is/was "9". 2909/3009". Forgive me but none of that make sense.

I have traveled on trains 29 and 30 in sleeper xx00 several times as the car next to the diner. The Amtrak agent simply said they were removing the xx00 car for refurbishment and replaced it with car xx02(possibly a refurbished car). No mention if there is a xx01 car or not during the Winter.

jebr, the xx00 and the xx02 cars are both regular sleepers with bedrooms and roomettes. My roomette number is 3 and there are no 1-14 roomettes in the transition sleeper nor any bedrooms so we are not being moved to a transition sleeper. Where the new possibly only sleeper xx02 is located in the consist, I do not know but I am sure it is just one car away or adjacent to the dining car.

I'm confused - was the old "3000" the transdorm car or a standard sleeper car that they're just changing the numbers on? I have a reservation on sleeper 3000 in September on the lower level, which wouldn't be possible if it was a transdorm car.
The sleeper line is/was "9". 2909/3009.
For those that don't understand, he is referencing the transition car. It's line number was 09.

It sound to me like they are just renumbering the assigned sleepers, for whatever reason.....

I did a weekend round trip on 29/30 this weekend ad got the "service cancelled" on my reservation. When I called AGR Saturday morning the Agent has no clue as to why it said that, only saying that I was moved to another car in the same bedroom.

29 had no baggage car or transdorm, two sleepers, diner, SSL and two coaches. same with next days 30 which was actually the same exact consist, down to the locomotives as that days 29.

3002 was furthest from the diner.......and very loud as it was right behind the 2 locomotives.

Thirdrail, the system has held xx00 car numbers for a very long time so your "hokey" comment does not help this conversation. Whether the transition sleeper was removed or not is not related to this. Nor does your comment "The sleeper line is/was "9". 2909/3009". Forgive me but none of that make sense.
If you recall, the website has just begin completely overhauled. This will make if they push forward with passenger accommodation selection via the website. That is why I said their hokey website might not be able to discern two 00s.

The comment about the sleeper line being 9 was in direct response to Jebr who asked about transdorm car. I even quoted him to avoid confusion.

Thanks, everyone. I think it has been determined that the newly assigned sleeper number is xx02 and apparently is in front of xx01 and then the dining car. I've ridden the CONO without a baggage car but the second Superliner car in the consist. While I could here the engine horn the noise did not bother me. Now it appears I'll be right next to the engines. At least there should not be much "walking through the car" foot traffic and I assume the crew will be assigned to unoccupied rooms in both sleepers.

Maybe they are renumbering so that all the sleepers have positive last digits, and getting rid of the "xx00" car designation. I do seem to have noticed this on another train, though I don't remember which one (I rode so many recently).

Until now, the only train I ride regularly that only used with positive last digits has been the California Zephyr whose lowest numbered sleeper is x31, On the EB the lowest number is x30. CONO only has one sleeper and its been xx00 since I can remember. Possibly you may be correct pertaining to the Capitol Limited but I wonder if it is just a Winter time thing. Oh well, this is my only planned trip on the Capitol Limited for 2018.

It just may be the beginning of a rough Amtrak year for me. In December, I was ticketed to travel on cars 532 and 632 on the Zephyr and they cut to just one sleeper x31 for both trips and I ended up canceling that trip. Now already for my February trip, Amtrak replaced the Cascade cars with Superliners so my business class ticket Seattle to Vancouver, BC was changed to coach and now my Capitol Limited car number has changed from xx00 to xx02. I do have other trips on other Amtrak trains for April and June most West LD trains but do have June rides on the Crescent and the Cardinal in the East - my first ride on the Cardinal.

I think they may just renumbering the line numbers. Instead of 3000 & 3001, they will now be 3001 & 3002!

Maybe the term (removed for refurbishment) is Amtrak code for temporary suspended - like the SL-East many years ago!
default_mosking.gif

......and very loud as it was right behind the 2 locomotives.
At least you had a second engine between you and the horn (unless it also blew). The winter before last there was nothing between the horn and the first sleeper. I love train horns as much as the next guy, but not in my ear.

Last winter the sleepers were were moved to the end of the train, presumably because of complaints. It looks like coach passengers complained and the sleepers were put back next to the engine.

Maybe they are renumbering so that all the sleepers have positive last digits, and getting rid of the "xx00" car designation. I do seem to have noticed this on another train, though I don't remember which one (I rode so many recently).
48/49 perhaps?

Until now, the only train I ride regularly that only used with positive last digits has been the California Zephyr whose lowest numbered sleeper is x31, On the EB the lowest number is x30. CONO only has one sleeper and its been xx00 since I can remember. Possibly you may be correct pertaining to the Capitol Limited but I wonder if it is just a Winter time thing. Oh well, this is my only planned trip on the Capitol Limited for 2018.

It just may be the beginning of a rough Amtrak year for me. In December, I was ticketed to travel on cars 532 and 632 on the Zephyr and they cut to just one sleeper x31 for both trips and I ended up canceling that trip. Now already for my February trip, Amtrak replaced the Cascade cars with Superliners so my business class ticket Seattle to Vancouver, BC was changed to coach and now my Capitol Limited car number has changed from xx00 to xx02. I do have other trips on other Amtrak trains for April and June most West LD trains but do have June rides on the Crescent and the Cardinal in the East - my first ride on the Cardinal.
Keep the money saved by not riding business class, and sit in the Sightseer Lounge. We've got some beautiful views, and I'd trade business class for the lounge any day!
Also, with any luck, maybe you'll have a fantastic LSA onboard.
default_wink.png
Considering I work it once every 5 days, and typically deadhead on it every 5 days as well, there's a 40% chance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Keep the money saved by not riding business class, and sit in the Sightseer Lounge. We've got some beautiful views, and I'd trade business class for the lounge any day!
Also, with any luck, maybe you'll have a fantastic LSA onboard.
default_wink.png
Considering I work it once every 5 days, and typically deadhead on it every 5 days as well, there's a 40% chance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app
Hey Triley, I'll be on 516 Feb 13 traveling to Vancouver to catch that night's Via Rail CANADIAN Vancouver to Toronto. Knowing that The CANADIAN can be 6 to 24 hours late, I booked two nights in Toronto before flying home to Nashville.

Also, I will have one 25 inch bag, one 21 inch bag, and a lunch bag size I carry my diabetic and other medicines. Do I need to check the 25 inch bag or is there adequate luggage storage space on the Superliner coach?

I assume you are referring the Amtrak Cascades 516 with your question on the luggage storage, which is currently running Superliners since we are down two Talgo sets (Chambers Bay derailment and Dupont disaster). There is plenty of room in the Superliner for both bags, put one in the downstairs rack.

The Canadian, of course, does not run Superliners. You should check one of those bags on the Canadian, there is very limited storage space in the sleeping car accommodations on the Canadian, and there is no common luggage storage space akin to the downstairs rack on Superliners.

Strange question for thread about sleeping car line numbers on the Capitol Limited.

I assume you are referring the Amtrak Cascades 516 with your question on the luggage storage, which is currently running Superliners since we are down two Talgo sets (Chambers Bay derailment and Dupont disaster). There is plenty of room in the Superliner for both bags, put one in the downstairs rack.

The Canadian, of course, does not run Superliners. You should check one of those bags on the Canadian, there is very limited storage space in the sleeping car accommodations on the Canadian, and there is no common luggage storage space akin to the downstairs rack on Superliners.

Strange question for thread about sleeping car line numbers on the Capitol Limited.
Not really. Triley said he might see TT on the Cascades train, so TT decided to ask him a question about it.

This isn't the first time a thread has been derailed and it won't be the last time.

Now back to the CL numbering system.....

I was just in car 3002 on the Cap- the orientation was flipped (bedrooms in each car were nearest each other) from car 3001, which was right next to the dining car, and there was no baggage car so 3002 was right behind the locomotives.

Does the Capitol usually have a baggage car? When I noticed this in Pittsburgh I was worried my bags weren't on the train until I noticed a coach car was being used for checked bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The Capitol Limited usually does have a baggage car.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back