Capitol Limited discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on this train and I can confirm it was American View. We also had Pacific Bend and one more in between (Viewliner based) that I didn't catch the name/number on
They were on the westbound Cardinal in this video posted yesterday. The poster didn't say what date it was filmed.

It's not very clear, but the in-between car looks like a VLII sleeper.

Last week, the American View was on the southbound Silver Star, reportedly on the way to Miami having to do with the possible relocation from Hialeah to the new station at Miami International Airport.

They were on the westbound Cardinal in this video posted yesterday. The poster didn't say what date it was filmed.

It's not very clear, but the in-between car looks like a VLII sleeper.

Last week, the American View was on the southbound Silver Star, reportedly on the way to Miami having to do with the possible relocation from Hialeah to the new station at Miami International Airport.

51(15) picked them up in WAS on Wednesday. I happened to get a video of 51 north of WAS and then saw a post on FB that extra cars were on that day's 51, which is how I remember (after looking up the video on my phone for date :p )

Just coach and sleeper? No diner/lounge (aka "CCC") with a service counter and 4 " cafe" tables at one end? So no food service at all? If it had a diner/lounge, that would be its normal current consist. They pulled the Sightseer lounge off the Capitol some time ago.

Will dinner be served on the Cap Ltd #30 departing CHI @ 6:40pm? How about if departure is delayed an hour?

Will lunch be served on #30 before arriving in WAS @ 1:05pm? What if arrival is late?

#29 arrives in Waterloo, IN @ 6:35am EDT, and in CHI @ 8:45am CDT. Will breakfast open at 6:30am EDT?

Thanks.

Will lunch be served on #30 before arriving in WAS @ 1:05pm? What if arrival is late?
Normally, lunch will not be served on 30 unless it is very late (and has not been for years). Years ago, they would serve an abbreviated early lunch, but stopped doing that even before they switched from traditional dining. On one of my last trips on 30, it was running very late and they served lunch to the sleeper passengers (whatever they had, which was not much).

Amtrak is slow to update many things. For example: the PDF ticket for the Silver Star says if you’re hungry to purchase food in the cafe/lounge car as there is no dining car available. The dining car was restored to the Star some time ago!

Looks like it hasn't been updated for several years. Scratch the delicious meals and sightseer car. Imagine how dissapointed passengers are when they book this train based on this ad.
Sidney: I suspect I would also be one of those passengers disappointed. Haven't been on the Cap Limited since COVID. My favorite recollections are from the early 1990's; departing Washington DC on a cold winter day, snow gently falling, from the diner, or Heritage sleeper, or the dome lounge as part of the consist in the 1990's. I have become a little cynical of Amtrak's inconsistent service these days--and nostalgia makes it worse.

Also, remember that two derailments took SSLs out of service. They may or may not be repairable, and they are in any event probably out of service until the investigations and the lawsuits conclude.

Also, remember that two derailments took SSLs out of service. They may or may not be repairable, and they are in any event probably out of service until the investigations and the lawsuits conclude.
The withdrawals of Sightseers on both the Capitol and the Eagle took place before the Builder and SW Chief wrecks. The return of the Sightseers on those trains may depend on wreck repairs, but the withdrawal of them certainly was not.

It would require overhauling mothballed cars or wreck repairs. As of right now Stated in Amtrak’s five year equipment line plans Amtrak has not yet made any plans about restoring stored non revenue cars. The plan indicated that such decisions would be made after final decision making on food service formats and checked baggage service on a route by route basis. Take that for what it’s worth but it’s what they said. So far restoration efforts for stored cars has been limited to revenue cars.

It would require overhauling mothballed cars or wreck repairs. As of right now Stated in Amtrak’s five year equipment line plans Amtrak has not yet made any plans about restoring stored non revenue cars. The plan indicated that such decisions would be made after final decision making on food service formats and checked baggage service on a route by route basis. Take that for what it’s worth but it’s what they said. So far restoration efforts for stored cars has been limited to revenue cars.
God, current management has to go🤬

God, current management has to go🤬
Well that doesn’t necessarily mean it will never happen. I certainly have some concerns about Amtrak’s performance in several areas but they are at least willing to undo some Anderson decisions such as reinstating traditional dining on the Meteor and Star. They’ve also loosened up a bit on private cars. The F&B working group continues to meet so I personally am waiting to see what actions that results in.

If they have to make priorities on which of the mothballed/wrecked cars they need to restore, I would certainly go with favoring sleeper cars at this time, then perhaps diners, and finally the Sightseer lounges. I rode the Capitol last year with the shortened consist, and while I missed the Sightseer Lounge, they were letting us hang out between meals in the CCC (diner-lounge), and it wasn't that bad a substitute. Some years ago (before Covid and Flex meals), they were doing traditional dining and cafe service in the CCC car, with the Sightseer lounge unstaffed downstairs. That seemed to have worked OK.

Didn't the OG Capitol have Heritage domes and coach domes?
I remember riding the Amtrak Capitol with a dome car so it did happen at one point.

Some years ago (before Covid and Flex meals), they were doing traditional dining and cafe service in the CCC car, with the Sightseer lounge unstaffed downstairs. That seemed to have worked OK.

I remember that as well and thought it was a good use of staffing since the single LSA could handle the cafe and check out the coach passengers eating in the diner.

Looks like it hasn't been updated for several years. Scratch the delicious meals and sightseer car. Imagine how dissapointed passengers are when they book this train based on this ad.

All they need to do is put a disclaimer on every train/route description that says “Some equipment and amenities may not be available.”

Otherwise it looks like false advertising, even though it is most likely just that nobody ever reads the train descriptions again after posting them.

All they need to do is put a disclaimer on every train/route description that says “Some equipment and amenities may not be available.”

Otherwise it looks like false advertising, even though it is most likely just that nobody ever reads the train descriptions again after posting them.
Well, words to that effect are in their contract of carriage. They do not guarantee mode, let alone amenities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back